Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Design challenge

I found this picture of a marble floor that I would like to turn into a quilt pattern. I don't have an EQ or anything like that. I'm thinking that the flower could be appliquéd onto a large square and the rest of it could be broken down into sections for paper piecing. I haven't figured it out yet.

Any of you creative people want to give it a go? I think it would make an awesome quilt. This should be fun to see what our talented forum members can create.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gemstone _floor:should_be_quilt.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	157206
    Bec

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Design challenge

It actually looks like it could be adapted to EPP fairly easily
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Karen. Some form of paper piecing (either EPP or maybe foundation paper piecing) is appropriate. You're not going to be able to do those angles well with traditional piecing methods.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I see one of the shapes is a rhombus. You could do foundation or english piecing on those sections. You would sew those in rows. 2 foundation pieced then one white one. I believe the rhombus angle is 30 degrees so you could use your mat or ruler to acheive the cutting of pieces. Neat concept. Some sites have free graph paper for printing. If you could find one with 30 degree triangles you could mapit out and then after making your paper pieces then machine sew it together.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that looks pretty and someone can probably design this on EQ.

I would print out to the size you want. Trace and make templates. That's the old fashion way.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

If I really liked it I might give it a go. I didn't look too closely but, there are definite vertical and horizontal pattern lines. I'd print it and draw those lines in to form a block- then see if any piecing pattern or technique looks different- one square at a time. Whatcha see?

I can tell you this- it's a lot easier to cut and fit odd shapes for a floor than it is to get the same pattern in a quilt.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    If I really liked it I might give it a go. I didn't look too closely but, there are definite vertical and horizontal pattern lines. I'd print it and draw those lines in to form a block- then see if any piecing pattern or technique looks different- one square at a time. Whatcha see?

I can tell you this- it's a lot easier to cut and fit odd shapes for a floor than it is to get the same pattern in a quilt.
    Earlier this morning, I did print it out and mark blocks. I think I can paper piece it. I’ll need to work on the precision of the paper piecing blocks so that all the seams match good. I won’t be able to work on it for a while as I have several projects I’m wanting to get done this year, but I’m excited about the challenge and possible outcome. 😀
    Bec

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this pic......it might help....

Attachment 157250

Ooooops, wrong spot.....blame a frozen brain!
    Last edited by Star lover; January 22nd, 2019 at 09:20 AM.