Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Morning Saturday

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a sunrise like todays. It was so bright and colorful it looked like one of the best sunsets. Amazing

I guess we are ready for a good old cold snap. I believe Mon and Tues will have temps of 8 and 9 degrees at night. Fortunately it's going upward from there.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Good Morning Saturday

Good Morning ~ Cooler here, too. It's 24 deg. We got some snow after all yest. While I was at the sr. fellowship, big fluffy flakes were coming down & covered everything. It looked pretty, but what a sloppy mess. Some of the guys went out with brooms & brushed off everyone's cars for us. That was a big help. I had brought my rubbers, which I put on over my oxfords, but alas they were in the car. I put them on before running my other errands. The snow melted quickly. It had been 60 deg. the day before, & the temp. rose into the 40's once the snow quit. I heard that Steamboat Springs (in the mts.) got ~2 ft. of snow in 24 hrs. They get big time snow totals up there.

Today I plan to bake DH's spelt bread. I'm going to bake 3 loaves instead of the usual 2 so he'll have enough bread until after my surgery. I had a call yest. from a nurse at the surgery center to go over some pre-op info. I have to quit my OTC meds., vits., & supplements 3 days prior to my surgery. I'm really hoping my surgery will be in the morning so I don't have to go too long without food, since I have diabetes. I don't want my blood sugar to drop too low. I will be there 3-4 hrs. The surgery itself takes only a few min.

I'm hoping to get some sewing done later today.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning All

Well, I'm almost a new grandma again. This time it isn't a baby, but a dog. Pepper was on an over night trial. Really well behaved (so far). I hope she works out for the kids. I know J, E and Z would hate to take her back. I'll post pictures when I'm sure she's adopted. She's a cutie for sure.

Jim called yesterday morning, they were headed to Walmart to pick up a couple of things for the dog, (which was a different dog, Katie, at that point). Anyway, I went with him and all three kids. I picked up a couple of things I needed and was disappointed there wasn't any St. Patrick's fabrics. I went ahead and picked up a couple of fat quarter packs for springy door hangings.

I worked on hexies, mopped the kitchen and cleaned my toilet room. Sometimes I think it's kind of lazy of me to take two days to clean the bathroom, but it's in two parts. The shower and toilet are one room, the closets, tub and sinks another. One thing I want to do is put a door between the bathroom/ closets and my bedroom. Who doesn't put a door between the bedroom and bathroom?

Well, back to the hexies. I'm making a dent in my box of cut pieces. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to sort and start sewing flowers together.

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings. Have a great day!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone. We are supposed to be getting snow today, how much they really don't know. I have heard anywhere from 2 - 4, 3 - 6, 5 - 8 inches. I guess it depends on where it finally tracks -- that will determine if it turns to freezing rain and rain or not.But then tomorrow, the temps are supposed to drop into the bucket, you might say. I have seen a possibility of -2 overnight tomorrow into Monday and maybe 3 degrees as a low Monday night. Time will tell. Don't really trust the weather people to have very accurate forecasts most of the time.

Yesterday I worked on a Bucklebee by Me bag. I had started it in a class maybe 2 years ago. I had to put a zippered slip pocket in one side of the lining which actually went pretty well. I then added 2 more pockets. Now I am onto the lining. Trying to figure this out as the top is curved. I finally had to put it down last night -- couldn't think anymore. I will pick it up again during the snowstorm. I have to have it finished for quilt guild Monday night. They are having a tote bag, handbag, wallet, bag, etc. "Fashion Show". Hope I can figure it out. Have to get moving and run a couple of errands before the "big" storm comes.

Enjoy your day

Nancy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the temps are not too cold right now...in the 40's with lots of wind. Suppose to get really cold just like the rest of you. Down in the single digits.
    Went into town with DH yesterday for him to get some more sunflower seeds, deer corn and a few twobyfours to finish his foundry shed. We also refilled the propane so I can sew this weekend. I'm working on a star quilt with lots of negative space and decided to make a duplicate for the back out of scraps. It should prove interesting if I can get the pattern to match up from back to front. Ever the challenge. Not crazy about the colors..came in a kit...but it will probably appeal to somebody.
    Bird dropped third egg yesterday. I hope she is almost done with this malarkey.
    I'm feeling a little blue...probably the cold weather but thinking its lack of social life. DH just isn't interested in people and MIL is in the rehab center so I'm not getting anyone to visit with. DD's and S all have jobs and lives that are busy. I keep trying neighbors but just don't have any common interests.
    Ya'll stay warm. Make a quilt.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! Like Nancy, I am waiting for the snow to start. This morning's forecast calls for 5-7", last night it was 3-5". Snow should start almost any time now, they said late morning. The forecasters have been going on about the snow for days, you would think none of them had seen snow before. I am all set to hunker down and can wait until Monday to go grocery shopping. I postponed Mom's visit with her sister, maybe we can see my aunt next weekend.

I picked up the Monster (embroidery machine) from the LQS earlier in the week. I am going to set her up and run her through her paces this weekend. The bobbin winder motor had to be replaced, as did the upper shaft assembly. No complaints, though -- repairing it was considerably cheaper than buying a new one.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Last edited by JulieC; January 19th, 2019 at 12:42 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone,

Oh it's cold at -19c. I'm not planning on going out today. Just going to work on assembling the blocks into rows of the Jaybird Boomerang quilt. It's coming along, but I hope to finish it soon. It's driving me nuts, all the matching of diamonds (6 points) and slanted rows. I don't think Gravity was as bad. Maybe it's because the blocks were more diverse and interesting.

Yesterday was the VQC cutting bee. In one hour, my GF & I had cut 3 bolts of batting into the size for Victoria quilts. Other ladies cut bolts of flannel backing. Then I headed for a walk-in clinic as my doctor doesn't work Friday. I went to 3 before I was told they stopped taking patients for the day. It was noon. So I headed to the last clinic and waited 2 hrs before it was confirmed I had a UTI and blood. I got started on antibiotics. I will have to follow up when Rx is done with my own doctor to ensure my kidneys are ok.

Mom called yesterday and she went to see a dance recital. She is getting her mojo back, and learning to accept help. Yeah. I can stop going every day unless there is a crisis.

Terry - I don't know much about Macaws, but is the egg viable? Is she stressed, changes in her environment? I get the isolation at times. I've always been more social, but do enjoy my quiet times more now. DH is the quiet type who can go without social interaction. I have introduced some couples and friends into our circle. No one is really at his level of geekiness or interest. This is why I treasure time with my GFs, although only a few of us share the quilting bond. He is quite social with the sailing and flying club people, as they share his interest, no so much mine.

Enjoy your day especially all those who are hibernating from the cold and bracing for the storm. Be safe. Stay warm. Hugs and best wishes for those facing challenges.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all. Sounds like many are in the path of the artic blast. Keep warm and safe! Not expecting any snow, but are getting lots of rain and cold temps.

My new quilting machine has been out of commission for three weeks. The check spring on the upper tension broke, and I've been waiting for the replacement upper tension assembly since December 31st. After a really stressful day yesterday at work, the only thing I wanted to do was disappear into the sewing studio and stitch my aggravations away, but didn't think that was going to happen.

When I finally got home and after ranting to DH about my day, I went out to get the mail, and just as I opened the door the UPS driver was coming up the walk with a little box for me! YIPPEE, finally the replacement part had arrived, and dinner can wait (sorry honey!). Replacing the tension assembly was much easier than I anticipated, loosen the screw, pull out old assembly, pop in new assembly, tighten screw! No harder than changing a pressure foot. So now Franny is back up and running, stitching beautifully, managed to get about half the quilt (that's been sitting on the frame all this time) stitched up, and also completed a little purse that I have been working on this week.

This morning DH and I are donning our rain gear and going metal detecting/ treasuring hunting, then later this afternoon I'll be back in the studio finishing the quilt that's on the frame. Life is Good!

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post

After a really stressful day yesterday at work, the only thing I wanted to do was disappear into the sewing studio and stitch my aggravations away, but didn't think that was going to happen.

When I finally got home and after ranting to DH about my day, I went out to get the mail, and just as I opened the door the UPS driver was coming up the walk with a little box for me! YIPPEE, finally the replacement part had arrived, and dinner can wait (sorry honey!). Replacing the tension assembly was much easier than I anticipated, loosen the screw, pull out old assembly, pop in new assembly, tighten screw! No harder than changing a pressure foot. So now Franny is back up and running, stitching beautifully, managed to get about half the quilt (that's been sitting on the frame all this time) stitched up, and also completed a little purse that I have been working on this week. Life is Good!
    That's great. It's amazing how quilting just melts our stresses away. And sort of funny that my non-quilting friends get stressed about thinking about quilting/sewing. I'm glad you are back in business.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's freezing here (literally 32) and we're waiting for the storm to start. Tomorrow it's warming up to 42 so it will all melt, thank goodness. Then we're headed into the single digits overnight for a couple of days. I'm all set with winter, thank you very much.

We've got the pup until Monday afternoon. He's been adorable, but lots of work, and hubs is no help other than walking him. He keeps asking for a dog but after this 2 1/2 weeks it's apparent that I would be doing the lion's share of the work. Puppies are full of energy and you have to play with them and keep an eye on them every minute or they will be bored and get into mischief. So no, after the grand-pup goes home there will be no puppies coming into our house. I'm exhausted.

On Monday they're delivering the hardwood for our second floor. It has to sit and come to room temp before it can be installed. They'll be here on Thurs and Fri to do the 3 bedrooms and back on Mon for the hall and stairs. It's going to be a huge mess, moving all the beds, furniture and stuff off the closet floors, not to mention all the dust from installation. But it will be worth it. Right now we have that awful, old, cheap laminate. So that will be my January, getting everything clean and put back together.

I hope to get into the sewing room later today. I'm slowly catching up with the Blockheads blocks. The next one up is one of Lisa Bongean's (Primitive Gatherings) itty bitty stars. They're so cute but SO tiny. We're in the home stretch and they released the setting last week. I figured out I'm not crazy for sampler quilts with blocks of different sizes (6" up to 24"). It's been a great experience and I've learned a lot though.

Hope everyone has a good supply of bread and milk. Stay warm and stay off the roads!