• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • threadbndr
    Batting Beauty
    • Jan 2017

WiP Jan 18 - 24, 2019

We are expecting a major snow storm this weekend. The last one just missed us, but hit KC. Of course, when the Chiefs are in the playoffs, we get snow on both the game days after having a really warm winter up to this point.

I'm planning on hibernating this weekend again. It was fun last week. I got a lot of things done around the house and finished a bit more on the 80s quilt. I'm working on the last few sampler blocks, but one is a big Carpenter's Star that will be hand pieced, so it may slow me down. But at least it's in the bottom corner and I can get started assembling soon on the upper part (I hope). This quilt has been in progress for WAY too long. It will fit the theme of our quilt show this year, so I'd really like to get it finished.

I have to get the quilt guild budget complied tonight from my meeting notes (I'm the assistant Treasurer in charge of budget and membership) and emailed off.

What's going on in your world?
    Last edited by threadbndr; January 18, 2019, 09:15 AM.
  • DeniseSm
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2013

Re: WiP Jan 18 - 24, 2019

I am roughly 70% of the way through the ruler foot quilting on my Tessalla quilt. I can already see a marked improvement in my corner sharpness in only one week. The next step will be to fill the black background areas with the wishbone filler.

100_4820.JPG100_4826.JPG
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• RockinLou
      Missouri Star
      • Oct 2014

I finished my little project last week and started cutting new pieces for a table runner... spending 2 nights out of town this weekend so I don't know if I'll get much done, even though I'd prefer to be sitting home sewing....

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Missouri Star
        • Aug 2015

Oh it's cold outside, and we are expecting THE Storm. I don't think we will get as much as other areas of the country. In any case I will try and stay in as much as possible, with one mission - sewing.

Thursday I continued to sew the blocks for the rows of Boomerang. My design wall is not big enough so I have it taped to walls and floor. I won't be able to put it all there at once. It's king size, so any surface is being used. I need to be careful not to put same colour blocks touching. My husband decided he was going to work on stitching down the applique elephants to his background. I showed him how, but he had gazillion questions and talkative. This guy rarely says two words. He was driving me nuts as I was trying to concentrate. Screwed up my sewing order. I had planned a quiet day after a busy week. OUT, OUT I said. He laughed and agreed to work on other hobbies.

Yesterday I helped cut 3 rolls of batting with a GF for the area Victoria quilts, size ~ 50x70. We do this every 6 weeks. Other ladies were cutting the flannel backings. We chose 6 kits for next month's meeting. Then I headed to a walk-in clinic. I knew I had a UTI which was confirmed. I got started on antibiotics.

I should be able to sew most of the week, barring any calls and requests from mom. Sunday evening, we go to grandson's tooth party and Monday we are test driving a new car.

My mission is to finish the Boomerang top, and pick out fabrics for a class at I am taking with a girlfriend next Saturday. Any other sewing will be a bonus.

Happy quilting.
        Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

Happy to have finished fmq on a top that has no particular destination. The binding is sewn to one side and I hope to stitch it down with a serpentine machine stitch later today.
          First I need to do a bit of touch up painting if I can find some paint in the garage to match, hopefullt left by the previous owner.
          I want to fmq a smallish top I have done stitd around blocks to use on our sofa to brighten up things until spring. Then I am itching to start sewing on the Happy Trails I cut out yesterday.
          Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• RockinLou
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2014

Here are the little quilts I made to brighten up the dining table (and use of random pieces of the stash!)
            IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

Comment

• pcbatiks
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2012

P1013960.jpg P1013968.jpg

Hi everyone, here is what I'm working on now. Big stitch quilting the lime green stacked coin quilt. I'm really liking the bright colored stitched circles on these fabrics. The 2nd picture is the mug rugs I made for our Bee group that meets on Fridays. They were made from a bag of scraps one of the ladies brought that were leftover pieces from her recent projects. The fabrics were coordinated and pretty so I couldn't resist bringing them home. It was a fun, mindless sewing project for the hectic holidays.

I also made a tablerunner for a secret pal gift in our Bee group. We bring a paper bag of 6 FQ's at the first of the year. Everyone picks a bag, not knowing what the fabric is inside the bag (name is also in bag). You make something from that fabric for that person during the year & give it to them at Christmas time. I made an Easter themed table runner with 3 different silhouettes of rabbits on it from the fabric I had. However, I forgot to take a picture of it before I gave it to her.
              Attached Files
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2011

I didn't do any more fmq but I did manage the binding on the practice quilt. Pictures below show a little fussy cutting. My quilting looks better at a distance and hopefully will look good after washing.
                I also started sewing the blocks on Happy Trails, one piece of advice on that one...be sure to do at least a 1/4" seam allowance or maybe even a fat quarter inch or you will lose points.

IMG_0527.JPGIMG_0528.JPG
                Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Astatoo
                  The Guild President
                  • Sep 2017

Wow, you gals are busy. My goal this week is to finish the binding for a friend then turn up the heat in my sewing room and get into something fun for me to do-finally will be finished with all the must do projects for others. Maybe start something with a "button" theme.

Beth
                  Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                    Missouri Star
                    • Aug 2015

I have been sewing more rows together on Boomerang. Here's progress to date. I have another 90+ blocks to put together in 7-8 rows. I have to make another 12 blocks to mix into the leftover blocks.

image.jpg image.jpg.

I'm not sure how much more sewing I will do this week, as my back has gone out. Sometimes, it lasts a day, sometimes a week. So just glancing at quilt magazines, and watching DIY reno shows.

Comment

• MaryUK
                      Missouri Star
                      • Feb 2016

For the last 3 days I've taken part in a sewathon on a UK sewing group. I took the opportunity to finish a UFO and make a Linus quilt as I didn't want to create another UFO. I'll be making a bag this week for my embroidery on the go and back to sewing down all those darn petals.

Comment

• DeniseSm
                        Missouri Star
                        • Nov 2013

I finished the ruler foot quilting on my Tessalla quilt and am starting the FMQ. For the black center of the blocks I decided on double herringbone loops filled with a "c" shape. I didn't break the thread once!

center1.JPG
                        Last edited by DeniseSm; January 24, 2019, 08:38 AM.
                        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                          Missouri Star
                          • Aug 2015

I finished the Boomerang quilt today. It's a king size. Now to get it wuilted. I decided I was not going to do it myself

image.jpg

Over 250 blocks, 6 1/2" diamonds. All points have 6 blocks to match. Very proud that I didn't have to use ripper on these.

image.jpg image.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X