Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for hand quilters

I am having such a hard time lately threading my hq needles #10 & 11 with either of my desk needle threaders. I have a Clover and a Bohin. The Bohin doesn't work ever on the small needle side but works 50%, of the time if I put the small needle in the big side. The Clover is totally hit or miss, sometimes I will press that lever 10-15 times and it still doesn't catch. I think I have every brand of needle-- except Clover LOL!!! I don't know if the Clover is worn out or what. I use it all the time and have had it only about 3 years. It used to always catch on the first or second try. I usually use Roxanne needles bc they last the longest without bending. What do you think is the problem? I don't know if I shoukd buy a new Clover or buy a bunch of Clover needles. Help!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question for hand quilters

I haven't used a needle threader but you mentioned needle bending...does it fail to work when you try a new needle?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I am having such a hard time lately threading my hq needles #10 & 11 with either of my desk needle threaders. I have a Clover and a Bohin. The Bohin doesn't work ever on the small needle side but works 50%, of the time if I put the small needle in the big side. The Clover is totally hit or miss, sometimes I will press that lever 10-15 times and it still doesn't catch. I think I have every brand of needle-- except Clover LOL!!! I don't know if the Clover is worn out or what. I use it all the time and have had it only about 3 years. It used to always catch on the first or second try. I usually use Roxanne needles bc they last the longest without bending. What do you think is the problem? I don't know if I shoukd buy a new Clover or buy a bunch of Clover needles. Help!
    I use a John James #9 quilting needle, the needle is a little bigger than a #10, eye is larger. I also use Coats and Clarks cotton quilting thread which is a bit stiff so it slides right through the eye when threading. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. You can also run the end of the thread through beeswax to stiffen it up for threading, so you won't need the needle threaders.
    Last edited by surfergirl; January 18th, 2019 at 07:32 AM. Reason: additional info

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just use one of those cheap little hand threaders.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

5. Thanks Babs quilts thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have better luck cutting the thread on an angle.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Roxanne needles too.....love them! I gave up using a threader years ago, they never worked, or if they did, not for long. I do like Monique, cut at an angle and hope for the best. I think my worse problem is my eyes......they ain't gettin any younger......sorry, guess I'm no help......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I cut the thread on an angle. Then I get a piece of bright white paper and hold the needle with my dominate hand (right for me) and us my non-dominate to hold the thread. Put the eye of the needle up to the white paper and the thread just magically (ha) finds its way.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it will help but I pinch the thread so just the tip is showing then slide the needle down on that tiny bit.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the sewline needle threader that look like a lipstick container. But you do need to be carful to line it up the wire with the needle eye first before putting the thread in or else the wire will break.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I've been working with YLI silk thread a lot lately. I've found that if I bend the last inch or so of thread over on itself, it threads better than if I push the cut end into the needle eye. I haven't tried this with other thread but it is working with the silk thread.