Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recommendations for Quilting Rulers?

I've always been afraid to try free motion quilting on a sit-down machine. But I'm seeing more and more tutorials for sit-down machine quilting with rulers. This intrigues me! And since my new/used Christmas machine has the ruler foot upgrade, I'm ready to try rulers.

I'd love to hear your experiences with various brands of quilting rulers. What have you tried? What did you like? Or dislike?

I look forward to hearing your recommendations!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Recommendations for Quilting Rulers?

My daughter and I have started our quest with rulers. The long arm rulers are thicker than the domestic rulers, but HandiQuilter/Westalee has a good selection for both types of machines. We have both found shorter rulers work better than longer ones, both for the longarm and the domestic. Since I use a longarm and not my 15000 for quilting, I forgot, does it come with an extension table? That is a very important piece of equipment to support the rulers while you are quilting. Get a good stitch in the ditch ruler to start with, and circles and ovals are very useful for many different designs. This book has lots of ideas for techniques and designs you can use with rulers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	157170

3. Thanks giig21 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Jean. I'm quite intrigued with the Westalee rulers. Which ones do you have?

Thank you for the book recommendation. I think I'll pick that up!

My 15000 has an extension table, and I also have an Arrow cabinet that, in effect, becomes an extension table. Rumor has it that the 15000 won't fit in my Arrow, but my DH has offered to rout it out a bit to make the machine fit.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have several of Angela Walter's rulers that have worked well for me. They are reasonably priced, plus she has YouTube tutorials for them. They have "grippy" spots on the back to help them keep from sliding.

6. Thanks Vonnie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nwmnteacher View Post
    I have several of Angela Walter's rulers that have worked well for me. They are reasonably priced, plus she has YouTube tutorials for them. They have "grippy" spots on the back to help them keep from sliding.
    I'll look at those, too. Thank you!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    Thank you, Jean. I'm quite intrigued with the Westalee rulers. Which ones do you have?

Thank you for the book recommendation. I think I'll pick that up!

My 15000 has an extension table, and I also have an Arrow cabinet that, in effect, becomes an extension table. Rumor has it that the 15000 won't fit in my Arrow, but my DH has offered to rout it out a bit to make the machine fit.
    I know my 15000 didn't fit in my Janome table mainly because the embroidery arm sticks out behind the machine. My son built me a new solid top for the table for the machine to sit on. I don't have Westalee rulers because they are designed for domestic machines1/8" thick, and I quilt with a longarm. So I use HQ and other brands of 1/4" rulers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF546D0A-270A-45E2-912D-0883339FAF86.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	157185

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have only been doing ruler work on a domestic sewing machine (Brother 1500) for one week. Here is what I have found with my very limited experience.

The stable tape that comes with the westalee rulers grips the fabric even better than the Creative Grids gripping surface does. Westalee makes both high shank and low shank rulers, so order the right one for your machine. Unfortunately the tape is not see through and will obscure the lines on your ruler. If you put the tape in a single strip down the center of the ruler to obscure as few lines as possible your ruler will now rock back and forth on your fabric and ride unsteadily along the edge of the ruler foot.

I have tried the Slim ruler designed by Angela Walters for Creative Grids. The gripping surface is not as good as the stable tape, but it is translucent and widely and evenly distributed over the ruler. The ruler does not rock back and forth on the fabric. You have to press down really hard on the ruler, but it works. I really appreciate the rounded edges on the two corners of the ruler. It helps me fit the ruler around pins when I am pin basting, and allows me to stuff the ruler into big wads of fabric stuffed through the throat of the machine without worrying that I am going to damage the fabric. it sounds like a small thing, but I really appreciate it.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

@JeanSewingMachine - I'm such a newbie, I didn't even know there were differences between domestic machine and longarm rulers. That's good to know. And I like the idea of a solid top if my 15000 won't fit in my Arrow cabinet. I tried to lift the 15000 by myself today, and I think I'm going to need a second person!

@DeniseSM - I didn't know that Westalee rulers come with stable tape. I tend to put paper athletic tape on my slippery rulers, which works well for cutting, but I don't know how well it would hold when it's literally moving an entire quilt! I think I'm going to have to break down and buy a Supreme Slider if I want to do this; so far, I've avoided investing in that particular notion.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I have a selection of Westalee rulers that came with my DSM and I do not care for them. They are thin enough that they get caught under my ruler foot if I have heavy seams. I actually used my M* dresden ruler for straight lines on my last projects as it is slightly thicker.
    Lyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    @JeanSewingMachine - I'm such a newbie, I didn't even know there were differences between domestic machine and longarm rulers. That's good to know. And I like the idea of a solid top if my 15000 won't fit in my Arrow cabinet. I tried to lift the 15000 by myself today, and I think I'm going to need a second person!

@DeniseSM - I didn't know that Westalee rulers come with stable tape. I tend to put paper athletic tape on my slippery rulers, which works well for cutting, but I don't know how well it would hold when it's literally moving an entire quilt! I think I'm going to have to break down and buy a Supreme Slider if I want to do this; so far, I've avoided investing in that particular notion.
    There is no difference between a high shank domestic ruler and a long arm ruler. That is why you must know whether your domestic sewing machine is a high shank or a low shank when you buy your rulers.

You are definitely going to want a sliding surface for ruler work. Get the Sew Slip instead of the Supreme Slider. The regular size is 12 x18, the same size as the much more expensive queen size Supreme slider. Rinse it under running water when the tacky surface stops clinging.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...-purpose-sheet
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.