Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baby Herringbone quilt measurements

Hi everyone!

My friends are having boy #4 in April and I want to make the new baby a black and white herringbone quilt since they have a zebra theme. It would be so adorable and I canít wait to get started. I want to buy fabric yardages as that would me more economical for me. Can someone help me figure out how much of each black fabric and white fabric to buy? I want to follow Jennyís tutorial but make it half the size for a baby.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Baby Herringbone quilt measurements

Can you possibly post a link to that tutorial? It would help to figure out the yardage. Also, approximately what size will the finished quilt be?

P.S. I see that you're new to the forum. Welcome!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If this is the tutorial you are referencing? http://land.missouriquiltco.com/herr...370.1481563033

Jenny uses layer cakes for this tutorial; thus, making the quilt 72X84. The simplest way to figure a smaller version, would be to use charm packs. Estimating the size to be 36X42 (great baby size quilt).

A charm pack averages about 1.125 yards (1 1/8) of fabric. Depending on how you want the baby quilt to look. For example, a Kona solid black charm pack and a Kona solid white charm pack plus 3/4 yard of white Kona yardage (before taxes and shipping charges (would come out to a base cost of $22.40.

Should you not choose to use pre-cuts? Buying Kona black and white Kona solids would take 1.25 yards of black and 2 yards of white (you might get by with a quarter yard less), making your base costs before taxes and shipping around $19.35.
    You might catch a more intricate fabric on sale (?); it just depends on the variation you want in the quilt.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

4. Thanks GerriTN, sydneybean thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sherri
    Yes that is the tutorial. So just 1 charm pack of each color will create a 36x42 quilt?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It should. Just make sure that the charm packs have 42 pieces in each pack. Some of the solid colors only give you 20 pieces in a charm pack, so it's important to be watchful.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

7. Thanks GerriTN thanked for this post