Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jean, They're coming for your title!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wigglesquilt1.12.19.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	157141
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daisyquilt1.12.19.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	157142

I know Jean is the Jelly Roll Quilt Queen, but she better watch out because my kids are coming for that title.

Wiggles turns 5 in a few weeks and he wanted a "blanket" for his stuffed puppy dog. I had one of those suspiciously inexpensive no-name jelly rolls of solids that has been kicking around for years so I thought this would be the perfect project for it. (the fabric is cheap quality and the cuts look like they were done with a butter knife during an earthquake but what do you expect for a $6 jelly roll?)

My man picked out the colored strips he wanted and helped me sew them together, cut it in half, and sew them again. We picked out a piece of white muslin from scraps and I showed him how to spray baste and warned him of the dangers of getting involved with people who think pin basting is better. [You have to teach your kids not to fall in with the wrong crowd!]
    He helped me do some different quilting on it and then we ran the edges through the serger because 5 year olds don't care about fancy binding.

When we finished, his little sister "Daisykins" decided her stuffed animal needed a blanket too. She is 3 and has no attention span for these things so she mostly watched cartoons on my laptop while I sewed some leftover jelly roll strips into the rainbow quilt. This one is not really notable except it is only the 4th or 5th time in half a dozen years I've used one of the 'fancy' stitches [hearts] on my H/V machine.

Wiggles is now pushing to make a full sized quilt for his bed but I think we are going to wait until he gets a little older and has a better attention span.

I think Jean's title is safe for now but the next generation of quilters is at least showing an interest.
    Not getting much sewing done lately. #Parenting

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jean, They're coming for your title!

Oh Ryan, your post gave me a laugh. Your children are sweet and you are too, for taking the time and love to work with them. Their quilts turned out wonderful.....giving Jean a run for her money! It's a great thing to encourage the next generation......we want quilts to go on for as loooong as possible! Sounds like you're enjoying the journey!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It is nice to hear from the family again! So glad you are teaching them the right way to baste. lol

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ryan, I will gladly relinquish my crown to these two up and coming quilt artists! I love that your son is interested and has the "stick to it" attitude to see the job through to the end! I know they need help and that is OK, but the look on their faces makes everyone feel proud of a job well done! Bravo, Cooper Sewists!

5. Thanks HandsomeRyan, Babs quilts thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful father you are Ryan! Quilts turned out great and your adorable son looks so proud.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Super cute quilts and what a cute picture of your little man.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Super cute quilt and your son! Hard to believe it's been 5 years since he first appeared here on the forum. Time really does fly. So glad to see you back visiting and letting us catch up on your world.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hooray for Wiggles. But lets call him the crown prince !

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Tell Wiggles that's a great looking quilt! Happy to hear you have talked to him about hanging with the "wrong" kind of people!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Ryan! That's a cute story and the glow on your son's face says it all. Kids love to make stuff.