Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Would you do this to your cat?

Um, it's a black cat so if it was a yellowish brown color it might look like a tiny lion.

My cousins had a chow/husky mix in Southern California, they shaved him at the beginning of summer out of necessity. Poor dog would hide for a week or so from embarrassment.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I Am a big cat person! We had two Himalayan cats with long hair. They used to shed a Lot. When my daughter was a baby and crawling, I couldn't stand all the hair. We had them groomed to cut down on their hair. They also had the lion cut but it wasn't as severe as the one posted. For the cats we have now, they are fed mostly a raw diet and it does wonders for their coats, health and personality. One of our cats is a feral rescue and she hardly lets anyone near her. Sometimes my husband can brush her but rarely. Her coat was long and thick and would actually develop mattes and dreadlocks. Since she's been on the raw diet for 6 months now, her coat is beautiful.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's terrible to do this to a cat. I did have a stray cat I had to shave down once to remove all the mats from years of neglect from being on his own for so long. So if necessary yes, but this looks like owner vanity not necessity for cat's well-being. And an animals fur is there for multiple reasons. Taking it away for no good reason is selfish and unkind. Not to mention you are putting them through a stressful grooming session for those same selfish reasons.

I come at this not only as an animal lover and advocate, but also as a vet tech who sees what these types of things can do to an animals mental well-being. It take more of a toll than some people think.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to look at the picture to see the "cute" in it....and all I can do is shake my head!
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    Um, it's a black cat so if it was a yellowish brown color it might look like a tiny lion.

My cousins had a chow/husky mix in Southern California, they shaved him at the beginning of summer out of necessity. Poor dog would hide for a week or so from embarrassment.
    I have a Chow, and don't understand; what necessity? The hair insulates them from heat as well as cold.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We are cat people. I have to brush our cats regularly, but one has long hair and so thick and a shedder. I have a special brush I use on him to thin the hair. He just looks like he lost weight, and you can tell he likes it, as he plays a lot more.

I did have a main coon years ago, and we had him groomed, which he loved. One time they suggested a lion cut. It was not as drastic as your cousin's cat. The shortest hair was over an inch long. He looked beautiful and he must have loved it as he would strut around and look in the mirror a lot more. We would do it in the spring, but he was an indoor cat.

I think your cousin had a newbie do his cut. Poor thing. They need hair to protect them from the sun if they are outdoor cats.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I had to have a long haired Tom shaved due to matting.........he hated me the rest of his long life.

Poor kitty.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Something else I learned...shaving mats off a young cat is one thing, but as a cat ages, their skin is like tissue paper so you have to be extremely careful when grooming/shaving. My vet tech says you should NEVER use a scissor on a cat.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Only if it's medically necessary.

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well , I don't have a cat. How on earth do you get a cat to stay still that long without being clawed to death ? I can see it being done if there are mats in the cats fur but, just for the novelty of it no.