Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Its definitely a girl

Good to know. I really think it was sort of our fault because we were enjoying watching her do the nesting thing since before Christmas. It was entertaining her and we didn't have to play with her. I think it must have triggered normal harmone production.
    Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    I had a cockatiel that started to lay eggs when she was about 5. I think she laid 4 total, where ever she was when she had the urge, really. Found one on my dresser, one in the bottom of the cage, one on my bed. etc. Then she stopped. No clue why she started or stopped, but never laid any more as long as she was alive.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Grammaterry,, I'm glad I read this, I've been trying to talk DH into getting a bird for several years, you have given me another perspective on my desire. I had no idea that they really lived that long!! Nor that they were that messy. I would have let the bird out of the cage, as just staying in a cage doesn't seem humane to me. The bird would probably outlive me 3 times over so it won't be a good idea. DH will be happy to learn this. Thanks again for posting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I am so glad that you have decided against contributing to the bird breeders of America. We love our Sammy but we would never replace her and we worry who will take her when we die. Our children will be too old to start with a bird and they already know what a job it is and who knows about grandkids. I tell people its like having (and don't take offense to this) a retarded 3 year old. Her learning curve stops at about the 3 yr old level and her needs are just as great. We make the best of our bad decision and try to find all the joy we can in spending time that she needs with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty J View Post
    Grammaterry,, I'm glad I read this, I've been trying to talk DH into getting a bird for several years, you have given me another perspective on my desire. I had no idea that they really lived that long!! Nor that they were that messy. I would have let the bird out of the cage, as just staying in a cage doesn't seem humane to me. The bird would probably outlive me 3 times over so it won't be a good idea. DH will be happy to learn this. Thanks again for posting.
    I should point out that as a teen my parents had a spider monkey. Also not a good plan.

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, if ever you are at the point of finding a new home for Sammy, as much as I would love to have another bird, hubby is terrified of them, I do know a 28 year old that would be thrilled to give her a home. I've never met anyone that loves birds as much as he does.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

6. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A bird laying eggs out of the blue! Okay this has got to be one of the weirdest posts ever. But very educational. You learn something new every day here. Thanks!

8. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We would love not to have her noise and her mess, but just like that 3 yr old I mentioned, we could never do that to her. So many birds are shuffled from home to home and what must that feel like? She is bonded with us and she would feel so abandoned if we gave her away to strangers. When she was a hatchling she belonged to a young single woman who eventually got a fiancé. When she was about 7 months old, the young man and her were fighting constantly about the bird. The young man ultimately screamed, "either the bird goes or I go" This is when we entered her life and took her home with us. She would say, "Robert, I love you, Robert, I miss you. Rober, come home" It took us 4 years to get her to stop saying that. It was clear that she really missed her first family.
    Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    Terry, if ever you are at the point of finding a new home for Sammy, as much as I would love to have another bird, hubby is terrified of them, I do know a 28 year old that would be thrilled to give her a home. I've never met anyone that loves birds as much as he does.