Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Its definitely a girl

This is really interesting. I don't know much about birds so this is all new to me. Terry, I'm glad Sammy is back to normal today!

2. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I knew macaws lived a long time, I guess I didn’t know how long. Poor thing, sounds like her biological clock is giving her trouble.

4. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Poor baby, Terry. Glad she's her old self again.

6. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Terry ~ The things we learn about on the Forum! Very interesting about your bird.

8. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Our Sammy is 32 yrs old and could live to be 100 ( a human life span) We have had her since she was a little less than a year old. She talks a little...not like an African grey...but very clear in the things she does say. She can count to 5, tell me I'm a pretty pretty bird, knows the difference between bye bye and hi, how are you and tells us night night every night. She says uh oh when I drop something and calls DH by his name and calls me Grammma. She cannot say S's or J's so she calls herself Ammy Yo.
    I took her to a vet when she fell when she was about 2 and broke her bottom beek. The vet was 100 miles from me and didn't really know much about big parrots. That was a vet bill I resented.
    I learned lots about birds by subscribing to a magazine called Bird Talk. This was like a forum for bird owners before the internet. lol. We always thought the only way we would know her sex was to have her blood tested. Who would have thought we'd find out this way after all these years.
    I have read much about this nesting on the internet in the last few days and I think we're going to be okay. She is really tired and grouchy today and seems hungrier than usual. FYI...they are very messy and waste more food than they actually eat. She eats the same things we eat plus some dry food as a supplement...no seeds except as a treat very seldom. Sunflower seeds make her very aggressive and she won't eat food that's good for her when she has them. She gets one almond at bedtime as a reward for going in her room by herself. (Her room is her cage)
    She's a nice animal but I surely wouldn't recommend that anyone get one. Very dirty, very demanding, have to be fed and watered at least twice aday and the clean up around her cage is constant. We let her out of her cage whenever we are in the house, but if we don't watch her closely she tears stuff up...especially wooden stuff life cabinets, furniture, chairs. She is potty trained in that she knows she needs to go to her room to poop...not on us or on the furniture.
    Hope this explains why you need a more traditional pet.

10. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, I'm fascinated with this information! I sure learned a lot on the forum today!
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

12. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another egg in the bottom of her cage this morning. Oh dear

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the fake egg thing, Michelle mentioned, would work. She'd think she still has an egg and will just keep trying to hatch.....and maybe not lay another.......a thought. There's gotta be some web site, or bird vet, that could give ya some ideas.

15. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, no! Another egg! Who would have thought?! It certainly is making your life (& ours) interesting. I wonder why it took so many years for her to lay an egg? Is that common? Keep us updated.

17. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had a cockatiel that started to lay eggs when she was about 5. I think she laid 4 total, where ever she was when she had the urge, really. Found one on my dresser, one in the bottom of the cage, one on my bed. etc. Then she stopped. No clue why she started or stopped, but never laid any more as long as she was alive.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

19. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post