Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting templates

Has anyone bought/tried these templates? Opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	157062  

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting templates

Not those particular ones but I have bought a 4 in 1 template that I am trying to learn how to use well. I have a sit down long arm and it is difficult to manage the quilt and ruler both.
    My point is that there is a large learning curve to ruler quilting. It might be easier on a long arm on a frame.

3. Thanks Old Newbie, TonyaJAsh, cv quilter, gmpintos thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, Claire. I find it very difficult to move the quilt as I sew along the ruler. I've bought several rulers for ruler quilting, and find the curvy ones very difficult to manipulate both the fabric and ruler

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have these and others. I put a product on the back so they don't slip around and they seem to work fine, when I use them!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just beginning to use rulers in my quilting. There definitely is a learning curve in using them effectively. Try them first on a "sacrificial" project! good luck! HandiQuilter has some excellent YouTube videos on using their rulers. Bernina has good rulers for their domestic machines. I quilted this quilt with a combination of rulers and free motion quilting. I use a long arm for quilting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	157063

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to me as if you have masteredthe ruler quilting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    I'm just beginning to use rulers in my quilting. There definitely is a learning curve in using them effectively. Try them first on a "sacrificial" project! good luck! HandiQuilter has some excellent YouTube videos on using their rulers. Bernina has good rulers for their domestic machines. I quilted this quilt with a combination of rulers and free motion quilting. I use a long arm for quilting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	157063

8. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quilting with rulers on your sit-down machine ~ I highly recommend Amy Johnson's Craftsy classes. They helped me a lot. She sells adhesives that one sticks on the back of the rulers to keep them from sliding. They are worth the $. She has a short video on her web site that shows how to use them. I've used 2 pkgs. so far. Yes, it takes getting used to moving the quilt sandwich while holding the ruler in place, but it's definitely doable. Make a practice sandwich & practice.

10. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those look like HQ rulers. I have a good selection of them and use them on my sit down long arm all the time. There is a learning curve, but you get better with practice.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have some of these templates, but the template a use most is a smaller straight template for straight lines and stitching in the ditch. I am quilting on my DSM, always using the ruler foot, so I can switch between ruler quilting and FMQ.
    Another favorite ruler is the Versatool by Handiquilter, it has a straight side, a curve and a 90degree angle.
    These templates are very pricey so I am trying not to buy to many specialty ruler that I may use only once. My favorite special ruler is the clamshell ruler, because I love clamshells.
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Uli View Post
    I have some of these templates, but the template a use most is a smaller straight template for straight lines and stitching in the ditch. I am quilting on my DSM, always using the ruler foot, so I can switch between ruler quilting and FMQ.
    Another favorite ruler is the Versatool by Handiquilter, it has a straight side, a curve and a 90degree angle.
    These templates are very pricey so I am trying not to buy to many specialty ruler that I may use only once. My favorite special ruler is the clamshell ruler, because I love clamshells.
    clamshells are fast becoming my favorite too! And I found that HandiQuilter Versatel in a box of rulers I bought 5 years ago but hadn't used! They were very intimidating to use as a new quilter! I am becoming more adventurous!