Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunny Saturday Hellos

Good morning everyone.
    It is sunny and cold -20c. Much of the same is expected until next week. I am packing and picking up my GF for our weekend, so wish us some warmth.

Yesterday there was a horrific accident in the capital at rush hour. A double decker bus slammed in a bus shelter on the transitway. The bus was torn apart. There are 3 dead and 23 in serious/critical condition. The others on the bus are being treated for PTSD. The bus was full, and holds 90 people. Investigation continues into the cause. The driver was held and questioned and released. Prayers are needed for the families and victims.

I am hoping this weekend will relieve some stress we have been going through lately with mom. She may have shot herself in the foot. She has always been alert and cognizant. So she puts up a big argument, saying she is not crazy. Well yesterday she was in the dining room and said she was glad to see me. She was in night gown. Staff said she refused to get dressed so they are obliged to respect her wishes. However that's when she said they didn't bring her for breakfast at 8 and didn't get to dining room until 11am. There's were 4 staff memebers around, and they looked puzzled. They did wash her, change her gown and she phand breakfast. Then they brought her back to bed. So now, they see my dilemma and will now follow my request to get her dressed. Next week I will meet with head staff.

Stay warm. Stay dry. Be safe.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

2. Thanks Star lover, baslp thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sunny Saturday Hellos

Good morning everyone. It is a tad nippy here this morning - just 17 degrees at 7 am. Not looking forward to taking the dog out again in a couple of minutes.

Thursday night when I took Ollie (the dog) out for a stroll around the back yard, I heard something crack as I closed the sliding door and I could not close the door any more. So, after he was done with his business, we went around front and came in through the garage. I worked on the door and was able to get it partly closed but could not latch it. Called my daughter and she and son-in-law came up and Dan was able to get the door shut so I could lock it. Now I put a sign on it "Do Not Use" to remind me not to try to open it. Yesterday, a good friend of son #2 stopped by and measured the door (he's a contractor) for replacement. We have had this door in there probably 15 years. It is wood, clad in vinyl on the outside, but with all the rain and moisture this year, I think it has just warped a bit. It has been very hard to just open and close it over the past few months. I have vacuumed and cleaned the rails (or whatever you call the bottom of it that the door slides on) and used silicon spray on it several times, but nothing helped. So I will find out next week, hopefully, how much it will cost to replace.

Well, time to take the dog out again (I hate going out front with him during the day b/c he barks at anything he sees move). Then I need to look through some of DH's papers to see if he has a receipt for this door.

Suzanne, I hope you get the situation straightened out for your mom soon.

Nancy

4. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great time, Suzanne. Try not to worry about your mom, go relax and have fun.

I have no idea what's going on today. I thought I knew what was going on yesterday, but apparently Jim was sick. He's been running around not taking care of himself. Everyone's tried to tell him he's been saying yes, way too much. Now he's paying the piper. Morgan will have to sleep today, I don't know if the kids will be over, if Jim will be grading papers here or not. It all depends on the wellness factor over there.

I was planning working out of one of my Christmas boxes or cutting more hexies to flower. I'm about to the bottom of this batch petals. No matter what this will be the last time I cut hexies for this quilt! Hopefully.

Prayers for those in need for healing, strength, comfort, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning Suzanne and those who follow. That accident sounds horrible. Hope they can find the cause. Healing thoughts for those involved. Yesterday I sew the binding on the back of my quilt. Now I have to attempt to join the 2 ends.
    I am off soon to get a manicure. I don’t have any other plans for the day.

Have a good day and stay warm.
    Beth

8. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning All. It’s still dark here in Oregon at 6 am as I write this. I’ve been dealing with insomnia lately so have been up for a few hours already.

Sorry to hear about that tragic bus accident, sending healing thoughts and prayers. I’m so glad to hear they are proactively treating people for the trauma. Ptsd is a horrible condition and early treatment can do so much for reducing symptoms.

Beth, I’m glad your getting your door fixed. It’s the slider kind right? We have a slider to our backyard and it’s installed upside down. Lol. It’s the original door so it’s been this way since the 60’s. We need to replace it, and all of our windows, wish we had the money to do it now but it will have to wait.

Today I plan to move some wip forward including doing some quilting on a wall hanging I’m making for a swap. I get so nervous about doing fmq. Ugggh! Especially when it’s for someone else.

10. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

our sliding door is having problems too. Seems with the huge rains this year the house has settled again. At first it was the front door that was having trouble shutting so DH jacked up the houseand got it leeled. That was summer. The slider was open all summer. So when it got cold I shut it and it had a gap at the top about one inch. So DH got some weather stripping...Still gapping. Yesterday he helped me push it all the way in so we could lock It shut. I suspect when he leveled it got wonky.
    So, I sympathize with you. We need new windows all the way around too but the expense is just too great . 50 year old houses need lots of redo. I guess on the fix it shows they call this a mid century modern fixer upper.
    It was so cold yesterday morning when I went to sewing room that even with the propane I was warming up my quilting gloves and piecing with them on. I sewed for about 3 hours and then went outside. It was a great day outside. The room just wouldn't warmup. So I took a walk and just enjoyed the beautiful outdoors. Made plans for what I could do this spring. I should of gotten out a rake and shovel and worked yesterday but I just didn't have the energy
    MIL got thru the shock of her heart treatment and they say she is doing really well. GOing to rehab today for a week or two since she is feeling so week. She has great fear of falling.
    DH's cough and cold sound much better. He is still sleeping but not rattling like he was two days ago.
    The weather front from the Midwest is suppose to be here by 6 but on the map it looks like it might just miss us and we will just have rain. Lord knows we don't need more rain but I am happy to have rain over snow.

12. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone. Suzanne, that accident sounds terrible. So sad for the families involved. Hope you have a good girl's weekend with your GF. You need a break after all you do for your mom.

Yesterday my DS had my garage floors sealed with this some kid of epoxy and they throw black/white flakes on it. It sure looks pretty. It is my Christmas present from him. We normally do not exchange gifts of that kind of value, but he decided since he lived with me rent free for 1.5 years he could afford it. Well it rained a bit overnight and is still damp in there so hopefully it will dry enough today and the smell dissipate so I can move stuff back in there tomorrow. DS leaves this morning to start his move back to Portland, OR. I'm gonna miss him, but also enjoy having my house back. Last night we went to see Luzia, the Cirque du Soleil show. It was a good show and we had great seats. Well that's the last of the Christmas gifts that we had coming.

Today once DS moves, I hope to get to the LQS in search of some fabric for a client quilt. Will also sew the border on niece's wedding quilt, since fabric from M* came in yesterday. I think I ordered it on New Years Day. At least I wasn't in a hurry. Hopefully it will be a productive weekend since I will not have time to sew next weekend.

Prayers for all of those in need.

14. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good Saturday Morning to all!

Sending special thoughts to those in the accident for a speedy recovery.

It's a warm and sunny 70 degrees here today! It has been a busy week in our house. Guess you can consider it a jump start on spring cleaning. The kitchen cabinets and pantry are cleaned and organized along with all the closets. The front and back yard sprinklers are fixed, the garage and shed are cleaned out. The trash pickers and thrift stores are quite happy. LOL! DH & I are both in sync with letting go of stuff.

Happy Stitching!

16. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning, All ~ I didn't have time at 6 a.m. to post. It's cloudy here. There is a very light dusting of snow on the ground this a.m. We had rain & wet snow all day yest. Temps. ranged from 42 to 38. It was a good soaking rain. We really needed the moisture. It had been 60 deg. the day before, so the ground was too warm then for any snow to stick. Other areas got anywhere from 1-8" of snow. SW Denver & the foothills usually get more snow than we do here. It's been a great snow year for the ski resorts.

Yest. I had a productive sewing day. Two separate 25 min. times of FMQ & more piecing on the Japanese Plus & Cross. I now have 7 of 12 blocks done. Unfinished, they are a scant 13". I'm saving all my trimmed snowballs to sew together into HSTs, which measure 2.5". It was too much to waste.

Terry ~ DS#1 in the MD/D.C. area is supposed to get 2-6" of snow today. My DIL said she hopes it snows a lot so she won't have to go to work Mon. They live in Chesapeake Beach; she works in Annapolis.

Pamela ~ It was nice to have you chime in here on the daily chat. I see you live in the Willamette Valley. I went to nursing school in Vancouver, WA & lived in Seaside, OR for 3 yrs. If you ever travel south to Grants Pass, be sure to visit Jordan's Fabrics quilt store. Donna has lots of quilting tutorials on YouTube.

The 10 used books I ordered from Thrift Books have been shipped; I can expect to get my pkgs. in the mail in the next few days. I'm looking forward to more good reads. I have a book going all the time. Last year, I read 175 books.

Well, I need to check on the laundry & eat my breakfast. Have a good quilty week end.

18. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finally getting into the sewing room for the first time in almost a week and a half. That grand puppy is an adorable handful and is into everything. He got into the sewing room yesterday and promptly "vacuumed" the floor of some tiny slivers of fabric. Then he attacked the bin of strings. No way I could sew with him around. So today hubs and DS are home to keep him entertained while I try to reclaim some of my sanity by stitching and ironing.
    Hope you all find some time to sew today.
    Michele

To the world you may be one person. But to one person you may be the world.

20. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post