Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    The Guild President

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Don't put off opening your package

    I've made this mistake not opening my package as soon as I get it. I ordered 108" wide backing fabric back on Nov 2018 and just opened it today. I'm ready to send off a quilt top to M* to be quilted. The 108" wide backing fabric turns out to be 108" long and 38" wide so that means I will have to piece it which I always struggle in doing. I hate piecing backing fabric that is why I order the wide plus cuts out that seam. So I called customer service and was assured the quilter would piece it with no charge. I'm okay with this but they need to be more careful in cutting. Hmmm, 38" wide???
    Linda

  2. #2
    The Guild President

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    615
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't put off opening your package

    Quote Originally Posted by LindaKay75 View Post
    I've made this mistake not opening my package as soon as I get it. I ordered 108" wide backing fabric back on Nov 2018 and just opened it today. I'm ready to send off a quilt top to M* to be quilted. The 108" wide backing fabric turns out to be 108" long and 38" wide so that means I will have to piece it which I always struggle in doing. I hate piecing backing fabric that is why I order the wide plus cuts out that seam. So I called customer service and was assured the quilter would piece it with no charge. I'm okay with this but they need to be more careful in cutting. Hmmm, 38" wide???
    Am I wrong in assuming you paid the price for WIDE fabric?
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

  3. #3
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    14,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't put off opening your package

    Did you order 1 yard of 108" wide fabric/
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

    Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?


    Check my User Notes.

  4. #4
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't put off opening your package

    That appears to be what she got, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    Did you order 1 yard of 108" wide fabric/

  5. #5
    The Guild President

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't put off opening your package

    Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    Did you order 1 yard of 108" wide fabric/
    I ordered 1 yard of 108" wide fabric at $14.95. Please explain if I'm not figuring right on this.
    My quilt top measures 48.5 by 43.5.
    Linda

  6. #6
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    3,127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't put off opening your package

    Quote Originally Posted by LindaKay75 View Post
    I ordered 1 yard of 108" wide fabric at $14.95. Please explain if I'm not figuring right on this.
    My quilt top measures 48.5 by 43.5.
    I think you should have ordered one and a half yards if you didn't want to piece it. This would have been 54 x 108. As it is, you will have enough fabric, it just needs to be pieced.

  7. Thanks auntstuff, LindaKay75 thanked for this post
  8. #7
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington
    Posts
    1,980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't put off opening your package

    Well 1 yard of wide backing is 108" wide, and 36" inches long. So yes you miscalculated.

    If you wanted absolutely no seams then you would have needed at least 50" long (approx 1.5 yards).

    As it is, now there will be one seam.

    Either way, you should end up with extra fabric to add to your stash.

  9. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
  10. #8
    The Guild President

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't put off opening your package

    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    Well 1 yard of wide backing is 108" wide, and 36" inches long. So yes you miscalculated.

    If you wanted absolutely no seams then you would have needed at least 50" long (approx 1.5 yards).

    As it is, now there will be one seam.

    Either way, you should end up with extra fabric to add to your stash.
    Caroline T, Yep, I did miscalculate. Ugh, I'm just not that good with measurements. I have enough fabric and they are willing to piece it for me so off it goes tomorrow. I need to be more careful. I need all the help I can get from you experts!
    Linda

  11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
  12. #9
    The Guild President

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't put off opening your package

    Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    I think you should have ordered one and a half yards if you didn't want to piece it. This would have been 54 x 108. As it is, you will have enough fabric, it just needs to be pieced.
    Thanks KarenC. I did miscalculate. I'm so green at this.
    Linda

  13. #10
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington
    Posts
    1,980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't put off opening your package

    Look on the bright side, the way you ordered was the most economical and least wasteful (or less to add to your stash), and they are willing to piece it for you at no charge, so less stressful for you. Overall, it is a win win in my book.

  14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •