Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Don't put off opening your package

Quote Originally Posted by LindaKay75 View Post
    I ordered 1 yard of 108" wide fabric at $14.95. Please explain if I'm not figuring right on this.
    My quilt top measures 48.5 by 43.5.
    One yard is 36" (they were generous and gave you 2 extra inches}. The width is the fabric is 108. There is no way that one yard would have been wide enough to cover 43.5"
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    One yard is 36" (they were generous and gave you 2 extra inches}. The width is the fabric is 108. There is no way that one yard would have been wide enough to cover 43.5"
    Got it!!! Yes I remeasured the width and it is 38" so they did give me extra. The length of this fabric is 108" and the width is 38". I have enough fabric just needs to be seamed. Thanks.
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindaKay75 View Post
    Got it!!! Yes I remeasured the width and it is 38" so they did give me extra. The length of this fabric is 108" and the width is 38". I have enough fabric just needs to be seamed. Thanks.
    With respect, you still don't have it. By definition the WIDTH is the measurement between the two selvedge edges. So the width of this fabric is 108". The length is the measurement parallel or running along the edge of the selvedge. The length of this fabric is 38 inches. Since a yard is 36 inches, they generously sent you two inches over what you ordered, which was one yard.

If you don't understand the difference between the length and the width of fabric you ordered, you may run into this problem again.

If the fabric is 108 inches wide and you order one yard, you will receive one piece of fabric 36X 108. If you order two yards you will get a piece 72 x108. If you order three yards you will get a piece 108 x 108.

Hope this helps.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    With respect, you still don't have it. By definition the WIDTH is the measurement between the two selvedge edges. So the width of this fabric is 108". The length is the measurement parallel or running along the edge of the selvedge. The length of this fabric is 38 inches. Since a yard is 36 inches, they generously sent you two inches over what you ordered, which was one yard.

If you don't understand the difference between the length and the width of fabric you ordered, you may run into this problem again.

If the fabric is 108 inches wide and you order one yard, you will receive one piece of fabric 36X 108. If you order two yards you will get a piece 72 x108. If you order three yards you will get a piece 108 x 108.

Hope this helps.
    Okay, I watched Jenny's quilting terminology and she demonstrates width of fabric is from one selvedge to selvedge. So like you all have explained to me the 108" is the width. So my length is 36" or in this case 38". I have been totally backwards. Thanks for your help. Gee whiz, am I right now?
    Linda

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I think I misspelled selvedge. Should it be selvage? Oh well. Time to put it to bed.
    Linda

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I use an app on my phone to tell me how much fabric is needed for borders and backng

7. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baslp View Post
    I use an app on my phone to tell me how much fabric is needed for borders and backng
    That's what I need.

9. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baslp View Post
    Thank you. I downloaded Robert Kaufman fabric calculator onto my Kindle. It's amazing and will definitely help me.
    Linda