Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP Jan 11 - 17, 2019

Wow, people have had some great progress lately! Congratulations to everyone.

I got another one of the Aunt Lottie's Garden applique blocks done. That's 15 of the 30 for the center of the quilt. Halfway!!! Of course, there's borders and border cornerstones yet to do after I get the middle done, but I'll take the progress where I can get it LOL.

We are supposed to get two to four inches of snow tomorrow, so I'm going to hibernate and craft!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP Jan 11 - 17, 2019

Karla, seems like you are making progress as well.

Last night, I made a phone/ remote caddy to attach to my mom bed rail. I seem to be spending a lot of time going there to resolve issues with her care, and when I get back I'm too exhausted to sew lots.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	157041

I will go sew two pillowcases for my girlfriend, and will bring to give them to her this weekend for her birthday. The fabric matches the quilt I made her last year. Other than that, I'm still plugging away at assembling the Boomerang quilt. It's challenging since the wall is not big enough. It is what it is, and I will get it done.

Have a good week sewing. I look forward to seeing your WIPs.

I

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Finished assembling all the Tessalla blocks together. I used one of the alternate layouts shown on page 6 of the pattern. This week I will be dragging my quilting table out from storage in the garage and begin quilting some of the tops I have been piecing. I am getting a really late start this year so my goal is to finish four quilts before the weather warms up too much.

Name:	100_4816.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	157042
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished the little table topper I was working on last week, I'm now working on quilting the little hot pad to go with it ... nothing big but getting a little time in for me most days. I need to get to bed early tonight so I don't know what I'll accomplish... but I'm going to do a bit everyday.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finding my January UFO hard going!! It's Jenny's Wallflower quilt, although I'm only doing 30 blocks - that's 180 petals to blanket stitch down!! I've done 51 so far, only 129 to go!! As it's sew tedious I veered off to finish a Linus quilt but I'm back on it now.

Hope everyone has a good week.

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I realized I have three quilts sandwiched. I need to get cracking with the fmq so I can start piecing something else. I also have a top ready to sandwich, maybe this afternoon I can reduce that sandwich number to two.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Please be kind, here is my first ever attempt at ruler quilting on my domestic sewing machine, a Brother PQ1500.

Name:	100_4818.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	157119

First I used the walking foot to stitch right down the middle of the colored fabric. You can see this line is nice and straight with even stitches. I used this to stabilize the quilt instead of SITD on every seam. Then I tried to use the westalee ruler foot with a straight ruler. My sewing machine had a fit and kept throwing stitches. When I switched back to the hopping FMQ foot that came with the machine it immediately stopped skipping stitches. So even though you aren't supposed to, I used my hopping FMQ foot with the extra thick quilting rulers. For a first effort I am pleased with the result.

The worst part is the hopping FMQ foot that came with my machine is an oval (not round.) So I can only use the ruler on two sides, and the spacing distance is different on each side. I still am getting straighter lines than if I FMQ without a ruler.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good, Denise. Pretty darned great for your first attempt. It's interesting that you ended up having to use your hopping foot. That was a challenge. But then, you never back down from a challenge. lol
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

looking good, I am jealous.
    I did manage doing a curved half clamshell along a border which turned out ok but it can't bee seen since the thread is a great match.
    Keep plugging away and one day it will seem easy.

16. Thanks 201 Treadler, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The felt fishing magnet toy got shipped off to my friend adopting the two little boys today. I hope they have fun with it.

Name:	P1030562.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	157135