Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Polyester thread suggestions

I just begin to do free motion quilting with rulers. I want to try polyester thread. Do you have suggestions for brands of threads. Is there just 40wt for thread or 30wt too?
    Carmen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Polyester thread suggestions

A lot of people like Glide thread which I believe is 40 wt poly.
    I have been using some 40 wt embroidery thread I was gifted and there are several different kinds and they all seem to work ok.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another good polyester choice is 70 weight. This is a thin matte finish (not shiny like most polyester thread). A great choice for when you want the texture to show, not the thread. Also a good choice for the bobbin. It is so thin you can fit a lot on the bobbin and you won't have to change the bobbin as frequently.

https://www.connectingthreads.com/th...cones/c/600909

Hard to go wrong with any of thread choices from Superior Threads.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/polyester-threads
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Glide thread for a year or more. My Baby Lock Tiara table model LA seems to like it better now than the Superior or Signature 40 wt. cotton. It is a 40 wt. trilobal polyester thread. Very little lint build-up. The bobbins hold a lot more thread. It takes an adjustment to get the tension settings right. This thread does have a sheen to it, which I like.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Joy, I'd like to pick your brain about this. Honestly, I've had my Tiara for 2 plus years and almost never use anything but MaxiLock Thread. I think I need to branch out.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I first joined the forum, everyone was touting cotton thread and I thought I had to switch to cotton. I/ve used cotton exclusively until I got my embroider machine and now I've tried going bac to polyester. The lint difference is phenomenal. No preference in brands here. At least not yet

'

7. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Aurifil for a cotton thread, but it is expensive. I have used Isacord a lot for FMQ, when I wanted the shine of a polyester thread. It is a 40 wt trilobal. I think the shine sometimes detracts from the quilt, and in that case I'll use cotton. Isacord may have a 30 wt too, but I am not sure of that. Sulky is a 30 wt thread, but it is cotton. They make lovely varigated threads, and even though cotton, there is a shine to it. Superior Threads has many choices in 40 wt trilobals.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love Glide thread. It's what your machine likes.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

cv quilter ~ What do you want to know about the Tiara & thread? My interest was sparked about thread when I watched Amy Johnson's Craftsy classes on FMQ quilting with rulers. I liked the looks of her thread & e-m'd her. She said she was using Glide. So I decided to try it. At first I was discouraged. It took quite a while to get the tension adjusted so I liked the looks of the stitches. It's a much thinner thread than cotton, so the bobbin tension needs to be adjusted considerably. It can be a bit tricky to get the thread started when loading the bobbins, too. I've started using the nets around my thread cones; I'm having better success with that. The thread to both the bobbin winder & the Tiara runs much smoother.

There are many web sites that sell Glide. My first order was from Kingsmen Quilting Supply. They have a wide selection & give prompt service. I purchased a set of color samples. I stocked up on thread at the quilt fair last Sept. There were 2 vendors there with a good supply. A bird in the hand, so to speak. It cost a bit more, but I didn't have to pay any shipping.

Other well-known quilters who use Glide are Karen McTavish & Tracey Russell (APQS Ontario -- she has a YT channel & hundreds of short videos on FMQ designs.) I really like the no lint build-up with the polyester thread.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    cv quilter ~ What do you want to know about the Tiara & thread? My interest was sparked about thread when I watched Amy Johnson's Craftsy classes on FMQ quilting with rulers. I liked the looks of her thread & e-m'd her. She said she was using Glide. So I decided to try it. At first I was discouraged. It took quite a while to get the tension adjusted so I liked the looks of the stitches. It's a much thinner thread than cotton, so the bobbin tension needs to be adjusted considerably. It can be a bit tricky to get the thread started when loading the bobbins, too. I've started using the nets around my thread cones; I'm having better success with that. The thread to both the bobbin winder & the Tiara runs much smoother.

There are many web sites that sell Glide. My first order was from Kingsmen Quilting Supply. They have a wide selection & give prompt service. I purchased a set of color samples. I stocked up on thread at the quilt fair last Sept. There were 2 vendors there with a good supply. A bird in the hand, so to speak. It cost a bit more, but I didn't have to pay any shipping.

Other well-known quilters who use Glide are Karen McTavish & Tracey Russell (APQS Ontario -- she has a YT channel & hundreds of short videos on FMQ designs.) I really like the no lint build-up with the polyester thread.

Joy, thank you. I will try Glide...I think I have been worried about thread tension problems. I have very little if any with the MaxiLock and I know that the tension issues can be frustrating. I know I can call Phil (my BL dealer) and he would help me sort out the problems, but I hate the idea of having to adjust the tension. I will give Glide a try and maybe I'll get lucky and won't have any issues . lol
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon