• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grammaterry
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2015

I need advice...will this work?

I've been working on a double wedding ring for months now. I have the top together...I have embroidered the negative white spaces and now I want to satin stitch around all the rings.
    Sounds simple enough except I don't know if I can do this. I don't have a walking foot.
    Should I use a regular foot and just set the machine on satin stitch and do it or will it bunch?
    Should I use a hopping foot and try to do it FMQ?
    Should I try to put the embroider hoop on and keep it pulled tight and do it that way?

HELP
    success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
    Terry of NC
  • SuzanneOrleansOntario
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2015

Re: I need advice...will this work?

I suspect each machine is different. I have used my regular foot for satin stitch, but this is not through the batting and backing. . I have a Huskquarvana. DH used IDT on his Pfaff. I would use a basting spray and pins to hold the rings in place.

Am I getting it correct. You want to do the satin stitches through all the layers? Does your hoop hold it better in place. You might try with a sample piece.

Sorry not very helpful.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• cv quilter
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

Terry, I'm not sure satin stitching is going to work well. I fear it will be too dense and tend to pucker as you go. If you can, do a sample circle and try it. I'll be interested in how it goes.
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• Claire Hallman
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2011

A generic walking foot isn't very expensive and might be a good investment. You have put lot of time into this so it could be worth the cost.
        If you are satin stitching the whole sandwich it might work OK, it will be pretty stable with the batting and backing. A piece of paper underneath might help if you are sating stitching just the top and decide against the walking foot. Be sure to try it out before working on your wedding ring that you have put lots of time into.
        Good luck.
        Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• grammaterry
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2015

here is a picture of the quilt . It is still on the embroider machine in the picture, so the lumping is just bunched up fabric . The quilt is laying flat right now. my machine is a Husqvarna topaz 50. As you can see, the quilt is already sandwiched so I can't use basting spray at this point and yes, I will be stitching thru all three layers. I will check the price of a walking foot this morning and I do have one square that I've been doing sample embroider patterns on but will need to sandwich it. I'll try doing that first. Any other thoughts are surely welcome.weddingring.jpg
          Terry of NC

Comment

• MHG Winnower
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2015

Absolutely lovely, Terry. Great work. I've tried the satin stitch on sandwiches, and I have to admit I think it is too heavy and sometimes uneven which you might encounter with the curves no matter how slow you go or with a walking foot.
            I have gone to using a blanket stitch and like the effect. Of course, that's my opinion. Check out this applique (I know your's is not appliqued) video at about 3:45 where she explains the stitching as you want to turn, thread choices, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6XtoguTBhc
            Can't wait to see the beautiful end product!
            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• GrammaBabs
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2010

Terry,,, just want you to know this is one BEAUTIFUL quilt! Good Luck ! You just get better and better... this all comes from trial and error i might add.... Hugs, GB
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

• Ginny B
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2012

Terry, that is awesome! Haven't done a double wedding ring yet although I do have the rulers to do it. I was thinking along the same lines as Sharon that maybe the satin stitch might be too dense. Do you have another decorative stitch on your machine that might work. Or, as suggested by MHG Winnower, a blanket stitch may work. Maybe even a nice zig zag? Can't wait to see what you decide on and how it comes out. It's a beauty.
                Ginny B
                Levittown, NY

Comment

• Cathy F
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2012

Terry, are your wedding rings pieced/ sewn down or just fused on that you want to do a satin stitch all around them in wanting to secure them down?

If they are pieced my preference would be to not satin stitch them as I think it would be to dense a look. I would probably do some fmq like an echo stitching around and in them. Just another thought.

Your quilt is beautiful and very delicate looking.
                  Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• cv quilter
                    Missouri Star
                    • Feb 2015

Terry, I love the picture you posted! Your quilt is going to be gorgeous. I'll be so anxious to see what you decide and how you finish it off. You're getting pretty good on that embroidery machine.
                    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2018

this is a beautiful quilt,
                      instead of satin stitch, how about another decorative stitch? perhaps a complimentary curvy one.
                      would test on an separate sandwich first to see what happens with the different presser feet you have.

thinking again do you need to sew? if the embroidery is holding the quilt together, suppose depends on the batting sewing distances.
                      this is a lovely quilt
                      🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

• Heather

Did a wall hanging once (used 80-20 batt) with a hot air balloon and satin stitched the balloon. It puckered a lot. Make a sample with scraps and your batting to test it first. You'll be using tons of thread. It's a beautiful quilt!

Comment

• grammaterry
                          Missouri Star
                          • Dec 2015

I made a sample piece and I tried out several decorative stitches...they are too thin to work with that heavy embroidery. I tried the satin stitch I had in mind and wasn't thrilled. I found a satin stitch that curves that I like and it seems okey with my B foot but I ordered the walking foot and it will arrive between Thursday and Tuesday so I will wait and work with that. Never hurts to try out new things.
                          As far as thread...I've already used almost 11,000 yards (maybe meters) So, a little more won't hurt, right?
                          Terry of NC

Comment

• MaggieSue
                            Missouri Star
                            • Sep 2015

Cant wait to see your finished quilt!! Blue is my favorite color!!!

Comment

• JCY
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jul 2013

Terry ~ Absolutely love that blue quilt! Just gorgeous. I don't have any answers about what to do with your machine. The embroidered centers are so pretty.

FYI ~ When I bought my Viking Opal 670, my generic walking foot would not fit on it. I bought a Viking specific walking foot. Retail price was $110., but she sold it to me for $40. off, since I was trading in my old mach. with its walking foot. I've been very satisfied with it -- a much better quality foot -- & feel like it was worth the money.

Comment

Working...
                              X