Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need advice...will this work?

not a walking foot?
    Quote Originally Posted by grandma nurse View Post
    My experience with the satin stitch was you need a foot with the bottom groved out to smoothly slid over the stitch as you sew it. I hope this makes sense!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

No, not a walking foot although is you had a foot plate choice on the walking foot that let the thick stitches slide under the foot, then a walking foot would work. The main trouble you have with the satin stitch is it is full and heavy and then as you make the stitches they don’t slide under the foot. Causes bunching. Get your feet out and look at the soles and you will find some groved so they will glide over the stitches. I pulled and #*# when I first tried satin stitches. No amount of pulling gave me a smooth stitch. Then I remembered the classes I was given on my machine, got out the satin stitch foot. So much better. I’m not good at explaining or teaching so I hope what I’m saying makes sense.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, my walking foot arrived today . It does have a lot of grooves in the bottom. I also have a bunch of feet with grooves, like in the middle and one has grooves on a side. I'll practice with each before I decide. I have definitely decided on a satin stitch, so maybe tomorrow I will try out a few different feet.
    While I've been waiting for the walking foot, I started a piecing project and it is well underway , so I was thinking I should finish the top before I go back to the finish on the double wedding ring. I hate having too many UFO's in the works.
    No, not a walking foot although is you had a foot plate choice on the walking foot that let the thick stitches slide under the foot, then a walking foot would work. The main trouble you have with the satin stitch is it is full and heavy and then as you make the stitches they don’t slide under the foot. Causes bunching. Get your feet out and look at the soles and you will find some groved so they will glide over the stitches. I pulled and #*# when I first tried satin stitches. No amount of pulling gave me a smooth stitch. Then I remembered the classes I was given on my machine, got out the satin stitch foot. So much better. I’m not good at explaining or teaching so I hope what I’m saying makes sense.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Have the groove in the middle of the foot where your satin stitch will be stitched.

5. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, I'll try it tomorrow
    Have the groove in the middle of the foot where your satin stitch will be stitched.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry thatís a really beautiful beautiful quilt! Heirloom quality!
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

8. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the walking foot fits my machine and I practiced with it and then I set the machine to a satin stitch that was what I wanted to do with it and....kerplunk...needle broke. The hole is too small for the stitch. So back to plan A and I took the plunge and just started doing it and I am liking the look...especially on the back side. I am 2/3 finished with this stage and will post a picture when I have the rest done.

10. Thanks Claire Hallman, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, I've been wondering how you were making out. I am anxious to see your quilt again with the satin stitching. You definitely have persistence.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

12. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you can use the walking foot for other projects. It should be handy for stitch in the ditch or a more narrow zig zag stitching.

14. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt it will come in handy. Last year I did some straight stitch quilting on some baby blankets and it would have made that a lot easier and it would have looked better too, no doubt. So now I have one (a walking foot) and it was only $25 so not a big purchase. I guess I think that for the cost of that fancy Husqvarna machine I have that it should have come will all the feet. Do you know that the upgrade to the embroider machine did not even include the 1/4 inch foot? I had to purchase it separate. It came with the 965Q and if I had known, maybe I wouldn't have been so honest as to put it in my trade in. ha ha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    Hope you can use the walking foot for other projects. It should be handy for stitch in the ditch or a more narrow zig zag stitching.