Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need advice...will this work?

this is a beautiful quilt,
    instead of satin stitch, how about another decorative stitch? perhaps a complimentary curvy one.
    would test on an separate sandwich first to see what happens with the different presser feet you have.

thinking again do you need to sew? if the embroidery is holding the quilt together, suppose depends on the batting sewing distances.
    this is a lovely quilt

2. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Did a wall hanging once (used 80-20 batt) with a hot air balloon and satin stitched the balloon. It puckered a lot. Make a sample with scraps and your batting to test it first. You'll be using tons of thread. It's a beautiful quilt!
    Heather

4. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a sample piece and I tried out several decorative stitches...they are too thin to work with that heavy embroidery. I tried the satin stitch I had in mind and wasn't thrilled. I found a satin stitch that curves that I like and it seems okey with my B foot but I ordered the walking foot and it will arrive between Thursday and Tuesday so I will wait and work with that. Never hurts to try out new things.
    As far as thread...I've already used almost 11,000 yards (maybe meters) So, a little more won't hurt, right?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Cant wait to see your finished quilt!! Blue is my favorite color!!!

7. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry ~ Absolutely love that blue quilt! Just gorgeous. I don't have any answers about what to do with your machine. The embroidered centers are so pretty.

FYI ~ When I bought my Viking Opal 670, my generic walking foot would not fit on it. I bought a Viking specific walking foot. Retail price was $110., but she sold it to me for $40. off, since I was trading in my old mach. with its walking foot. I've been very satisfied with it -- a much better quality foot -- & feel like it was worth the money.

9. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

good to know. I ordered this one from Walmart on line and it said it would fit the topaz 50. So I'll keep my fingers crossed. It was only $25 including shipping so if it works I thought it would be a good way to try one out and see if I have any use for it before I buy the real deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Terry ~ Absolutely love that blue quilt! Just gorgeous. I don't have any answers about what to do with your machine. The embroidered centers are so pretty.

FYI ~ When I bought my Viking Opal 670, my generic walking foot would not fit on it. I bought a Viking specific walking foot. Retail price was $110., but she sold it to me for $40. off, since I was trading in my old mach. with its walking foot. I've been very satisfied with it -- a much better quality foot -- & feel like it was worth the money.

11. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have no advice here, but agree with others, that is one beautiful quilt.

13. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilt is gorgeous. What about using a SITD around the rings? What other decorative stitches are on your machine?

15. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Your quilt is gorgeous. What about using a SITD around the rings? What other decorative stitches are on your machine?
    I would like to say, what decorative stitches are not on my machine..but I tried about 7 of them and they look really wimpy next to that heavy embroidery. I am nearly certain I will use a satin stitch of some kind to tie in the white daffodils. I have auditioned a straight stitch satin and a ribbon looking one and am leaning toward the ribbon. As soon as the walking foot arrives I will begin.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    here is a picture of the quilt . It is still on the embroider machine in the picture, so the lumping is just bunched up fabric . The quilt is laying flat right now. my machine is a Husqvarna topaz 50. As you can see, the quilt is already sandwiched so I can't use basting spray at this point and yes, I will be stitching thru all three layers. I will check the price of a walking foot this morning and I do have one square that I've been doing sample embroider patterns on but will need to sandwich it. I'll try doing that first. Any other thoughts are surely welcome.Attachment 156977
    You could try doing a feather stitch around your rings with a nice contrasting thread. What a beautiful quilt, everyone loves a blue and white quilt.

18. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post