Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuesday Trivia: Nebraska

Some Interesting Facts about Nebraska:

Nebraska was once called "The Great American Desert".

In 1927, Edwin E. Perkins of Hastings invented the powered soft drink Kool-Aid.

Attachment 156967

J. Sterling Morton founded Arbor Day in Nebraska City in 1872.

The state nickname used to be the "Tree Planter's State", but was changed in 1945 to the "Cornhusker State".

The Naval Ammunition Depot located in Hastings was the largest U.S. ammunition plant providing 40% of WWII's ammunition.

Nebraska is the birthplace of the Reuben sandwich.

Spam (canned meat) is produced in Fremont.

Nebraska has the U.S.'s largest aquifer (underground lake/water supply), the Ogalala aquifer.

Nebraska has more miles of river than any other state.

The Union Pacific's Bailey Yards, in North Platte, is the largest rail classification complex in the world.

Nebraska is the only state in the union with a unicameral (one house) legislature. It’s also nonpartisan—there are no party affiliations listed on voting ballots.

Nebraska was the first state to complete its segment of the nations mainline interstate system, a 455 mile stretch of four lane highway.

Nebraska's Chimney rock was the most often mentioned landmark in journal entries by travelers on the Oregon Trail. Chimney rock has lost*more than*30 feet*in the past 150 years due to erosion.

Attachment 156968

The 911 system of emergency communications, now used nationwide, was developed and first used in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska has more underground water reserves than any other state in the continental U.S.

Marlon Brando's mother gave Henry Fonda acting lessons at the Omaha Community Playhouse.

Attachment 156969

Lincoln County is the origin of the world's largest "Wolly Mammoth" elephant fossil.

Attachment 156970

Weeping Water is the nations largest limestone deposit and producer.

Mutual of Omaha Corporate headquarters is a public building built with 7 floors underground.

Attachment 156973

In Blue Hill, Nebraska, no female wearing a 'hat that would scare a timid person' can be seen eating onions in public.

Origin of Nebraska's Name: From an Oto Indian word meaning flat water.

The largest porch swing in the world is located in Hebron, Nebraska and it can sit 25 adults.

Attachment 156974

The world's largest hand-planted forest is Halsey National Forrest near Thedford, Nebraska.

Attachment 156975

The largest Kolache Festival in the world is located in Prague, Nebraska

Attachment 156971

In Nebraska in 1986 for the first time ever two women ran against each other for governorship of a state.

The cost of the Nebraska Capitol building was $ 9,800,440.07 in 1932. The construction job came in under budget and the building was paid for by the time it was completed.

Buffalo Bill Cody held his first rodeo in North Platte, Nebraska July 4, 1882.

There are five army forts open to the public in Nebraska: Atkinson, Kearny, Hartsuff, Sidney, and Robinson.

Sidney, Nebraska was the starting point of the Black Hills Gold Rush.

Dr. Harold Edgerton of Aurora, Nebraska is the inventor of the strobe light.

Father Edward Flanagan founded Boys Town in Omaha, Nebraska in 1917.

Clifton Hillegass was a manager at Nebraska Book Company in 1958,*when he bought a series of notes on Shakespeare from a Canadian book company owner named Jack Cole. Hillegass expanded the idea well beyond the Bard and eventually changed the name from “Cole’s Notes” to “CliffsNotes.”

Charles Lindbergh took his first flying lessons at the Nebraska Aircraft Corporation flying school in Lincoln in 1922. He paid $300 for 10 hours of instruction—a small fortune at the time.

It wasn’t just Pearl Harbor that was hit during WWII. On April 18, 1945, a Japanese balloon bomb exploded in the sky over Dundee, a section of Omaha. Fortunately, it didn’t do much damage, and the attempt was kept hush-hush until after the war was over.

The Carhenge, a replica of the historic English Stonehenge, is located just north of Alliance, Nebraska and is made up of 38 old automobiles that have been arranged in the same proportions and shape as the original Stonehenge.*

Attachment 156972

Some Strange Laws in Nebraska:

Drivers on mountains should drive with caution near the right hand edge of the highway –there are no mountains in Nebraska!

It is illegal to fly a plane while drunk.

If a child burps during church, his parent may be arrested.

It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.

It is illegal for a mother to give her daughter a perm without a state license.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tuesday Trivia: Nebraska

Wow, those are interesting and hilarious facts.

Although not planned on a trip to Kansas via Denver, our large plane made a landing in North Platte. Denver airport was shut down due to a freaky storm, winds, hail. We circled around until they found an airstrip to land. It was hilarious. As they were harvesting hay between the airstrips. When we landed, we had to stay on the plane, as the airport did not have stairs high enough to disembark. Also they did not have Customs or Immigration officials. They opened the door, we were in the first row. It was over 100 degrees, and they had to shut down the plane. The ground crew was struggling to find fuel and hoses long enough to reach the plane. We were there for over 3 hours before it was ok to leave. It's too bad that we could not check out railway yards. I took pictures as we landed. All the airport staff was lined up looking at this huge bird landing on short strip.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

4. Thanks Star lover, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great trivia! And, Suzanne, that's quite a story!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

6. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mother and father were both born in Nebraska but they didn't do anything note worthy and neither have any of their kids.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

8. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in South Dakota and I never knew any of this about our neighboring state.

10. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Such interesting facts you presented. I can't address all so will just say...my favorite Sammy is the reuben. Yummy!

Gina

12. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraP View Post
    My mother and father were both born in Nebraska but they didn't do anything note worthy and neither have any of their kids.
    Well, I have to disagree! There's YOU!!!!!.....very note worthy in my book!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.

I've seen this firsthand. I think the bar/eatery was doing it to be funny, not because it is actually enforced.
    Heather

15. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have visited Carhenge. I've been to Stonehenge, too, but this one is funnier. And I love the Nebraska capital building -- it has a tall, narrow tower. Lots of beautiful mosaic artwork. The elevators that take you to the top are very small, holding perhaps 5 persons. When our capital tour guide learned that my husband and I enjoy touring government buildings, he gave us a private tour and even took us into the Senate chamber, which has been unused since they converted to the unicameral legislature in 1937.

And those kolaches are making me hungry!

17. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post