• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrendaKS
    Shiny Thimble
    • Jan 2019

Cotton and Flannel Rag Quilt

Hi everyone. I'm new here and have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to....well, I've seen many answers......that's my problem.

I want to make my kids and grandkids all a flannel/cotton rag quilt.....11 in all.......for Christmas this year. My question is can I sew the 10 inch squares together through the middle......one flannel and one cotton together........and not have to preshrink the flannel. I saw some where that the flannel squares can be serged before washing to help prevent shrinkage.....but then saw an opposing view. I wouldn't mind a crinkly look but I don't want actually buckles in the fabric because the flannel shank a lot more than the cotton. Has anyone done this successfully?

Thanks for any info you can send.
    Brenda
  • Jean Sewing Machine
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: Cotton and Flannel Rag Quilt

I'm not sure serging will prevent shrinkage. Are you using precut 10" squares? I think you could preshrunk them by putting them in a lingerie bag and putting them through a wash/dry cycle. If you are making so many, you would want them to survive washing, as they take time and energy to manage 5 kids! And I find the flannel they use to make precuts is better quality, so it might not shrink that much.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Missouri Star
      • Aug 2015

I would pre-way the flannel as it would shrink a lot more than the cotton. If your fabric is not precut, I would do that.

I would try a block or two, and wash. You will see.
      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• BrendaKS
        Shiny Thimble
        • Jan 2019

Thank you!

Comment

• just4me
          Designer Diva
          • Jan 2016

I would think that serging the flannel squares would prevent them from ragging so you would lose the whole point of doing a rag quilt.

Comment

• KarenC
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2015

11 quilts would be a lot of snipping to create the rag effect. I would allow a lot of time to snip all those squares once you've sewn them together, Your hand will be tired and hurting, so you will need to take breaks. But, at least you're starting early
            Karen
            Spring, TX

Comment

• MBCA
              The Guild President
              • May 2014

I have made many rag quilts using cotton fabrics for the top layer and flannel for the middle and back. I put the three fabrics together in squares, sew an X and then sew the squares together. I have never prewashed any of the fabrics and they come out great. The X stabilizes the squares. I always use low end flannel for the center and a nicer one for the backing.
              Beth

Comment

• Suzette
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2012

You are not supposed to prewash flannel when making a rag quilt. I would not prewash any of the fabrics and definitely do not serge them (you want them to fray on a rag quilt). I have made rag quilts with a mix of flannel and non-flannel cotton (no prewashing any of the fabrics) and they came out just fine. I would suggest (if you don't have a pair already) getting the rag snips specifically designed for making rag quilts. Regular scissors will work but are much harder on your hands, especially when making so many rag quilts. All the best!
                Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

• chelea
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2012

I agree with Suzette, definitely invest in a pair of rag snips if you're doing that many quilts. Mine are Fiskars, not expensive, and well worth it.
                  Michele
                  ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                  To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• sumarben
                    Quilting Royalty
                    • Apr 2015

I've made a cotton and flannel rag quilt - sewed cotton square to flannel back with X through the middle then bordered each square with strips of flannel, sewed it all together and ragged it. Didn't wash/preshrink anything and it is fine - it is my grandson's favorite quilt (trains!) and is loved and used daily. I would post a pic but can't find the picture!!

Comment

• amartin24
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2014

I've made a few cotton/flannel quilts (I used warm and natural batting too). I did not pre-wash and it turned out just fine.
                      I am Sew Blessed!
                      Alina

Comment

Working...
                      X