Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good morning Monday

Good morning,

I don't imagine that anyone else is up and posting. I guess I didn't sleep last night as I have to get ready to accompany mom to the hospital for a follow up appointment. Transport leaves at 7:15, but I need to make certain the night shift got mom ready, dressed and meds for morning. I will pick up something quick to eat once we are there.

Yesterday was laid back. Picked up coffee beans at DH & I enjoyed apple turnovers at coffee house. I worked on DH elephant appliques all afternoon. I have 3 more small ones and ears to finish later today. I discovered that the glue sticks dry up if you don't use them for years.

If I get back on time, I also have VQC group that meets after lunch.

Have a good day. Best wishes for those needing comfort and support.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

2. Thanks baslp, Star lover, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Good morning Monday

WOW you beat me to it this morning, haha.

Good morning friends. On Friday Les and I visited the travel agent and booked our trip to Cuba. 2 weeks in February. WOOHOO! I am so looking forward to spending time in the sun and walking on a beach. We have never been outside of North America, so this shall be quite an experience. Yesterday was my friend Lynda's birthday so on Friday I stopped at the quilt store and got her a gift certificate. I also gifted the store owner with a seam ripper that my brother had made and belonged to Bonnie. We both shed a few tears. I know it has gone to someone who will love it.

On Saturday Les and I had lunch with Rachel and Eli (Bonnie's children). They had brought me my inheritance. I also have chosen to take Bonnie's table that she used for her sewing machine. It is a 6ft folding table that will work in my sewing room. Now to completely overhaul my room, wish me luck.

I also spent the weekend cutting scraps. I have a lot of 2 1/2" squares along with 5" ones as well.

So I shall be busy today. Tomorrow is guild. Another busy day.

Have a great day friends.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, baslp, pcbatiks, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, school's back in, in more ways than one. Jonathan will have school with Nana today and tomorrow while I keep the little ones for the morning. Then I'll be back on teacher duty on Wed and Thurs.

Family dinner is tonight, I have a pork tenderloin out to thaw. There's a butternut squash in the fridge, so we'll have that. I guess green beans and brussel sprouts for Jonathan.

I worked on hexies yesterday. Three flowers seems to be what I'm getting done a day. The petals are all sorted, so I just pick up a clip and stitch them together. I'm not as fast as I used to be, or distracted more by what's on TV. It takes me about an hour to get a flower together.

Prayers for those in need for healing, strength, comfort, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, baslp, Star lover, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning to all!

Suzanne, sounds like you have a busy day planned. Hope all with your mum works out well.
    Monique......Cuba! Wow! Hope all your plans fall into place and I can't wait to hear how your trip goes!
    Katrina, back to the old schedule......your hexy quilt sounds amazing. Can't wait til you finish it!

We had SUN all weekend! Absolutely wonderful! Spent time cleaning the dryer vent, tube and the dryer itself. I have never seen soooooo much lint in my life! No kidding, I could have made a huge sweater with all the lint. It was a job just getting the brush cleaner thing down the long tube. I finally suggested to DH to put the handle down first, then pull it through. Even though the directions told you to do it the other way.......he had a 5 gallon bucket at the business end and the lint kept on coming. It was windy (of course!) and we had a huge cloud going. We were covered, re bucket was full and the birds and tons of nesting material.

Then onto the dryer. DH did the back and I did the front......2 hours later, we had a clean.....no, super clean dryer! I'm so thankful DH was just looking at the critter cover on the vent outside and saw lots of lint. He started on it and the rest was history. But my, I can only imagine if a fire started in there. It had LOTS of fuel!

So today I'll continue my purging and sorting and re-folding and storing of all my fabric and supplies. I'm happy the way it's all looking.

Hope everyone is well......I have yet to catch up on what y'all have been doing over the weekend. Love and prayers for many, hugs to all.

8. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario, baslp thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just got home from my quilt guilds winter retreat. It was fun but also bittersweet as it was the first time I have been away from home since my husband passed away in March. It was good to get away and spend some time with friends sewing the day away. I finished another reading pocket pillow (this one I am getting paid for - woo hoo!!!), just need to add the border to the small quilt for the guild's challenge before quilting it, applied the appliqués to a Valentine wall hanging (just need to do the raw edge sewing on it, and started a One Block Wonder. Ollie, the dog, seemed very happy to see me when I picked him up yesterday, but has since been ignoring me. When I talk to him he turns his head away. So funny!! Well, I need to get cleaned up and go get some blood work done, then when I get home it will be laundry from the retreat, and putting things away in my sewing room. Oh yeah, I purchased an Elizabeth Harman pattern (has northern Arctic animals on it) from a lady who brought some of her online business to the retreat. I figure it will be about 2025 till I get enough nerve to start it. The directions for it are in a "book"!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!!

Nancy

10. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario, baslp, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I cut out a quilt kit while my machine did the embroidery work. I have 12 more daffodils to embroider then I will start the FMQ if you would call it that. I'm planning to do a satin stitch around each of the rings so don't know if that's fmq or not.
    the winter so far has been fairly mild...yesterday probably was high 60's. My fish in the ponds are swimming freely and still eating bread and such when I go to feed. They were hibernating this time last year.
    My McCaw, Sammy, is in heat (don't know if that's the term for a bird) and is trying so hard to nest. She has a big box that a mattress topper came in and a lot of Christmas wrapping paper that she is shredding. She chews the cardboard from the box and oh my, what a mess she can make. She works at it for 3-4 hours a day. Sort of sad that she has never seen another of her species. Sometimes us humans can be so cruel as to keep an animal like this captive, but we've had her 32 years and its a little late to think about turning her into the wild.

12. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario, baslp, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning, Everyone ~ I just put load 3 of laundry in the washer. Mixing up my turkey patties is on the morning's agenda.

Yest. I finally got started on the FMQ on this panel baby quilt! The prep work is time consuming -- removed the needle plate & cleaned my LA bobbin area, loaded bobbins, changed the needle, waxed the table surface, etc. Did some practicing on the sample sandwich to "get in the groove" & make sure the tension was ok. I had so many ideas about custom quilting this one, but because of time constraints, I'll just do an all over design. Doing Angela Walters' hook swirl. So far, so good.

No more time now. Time to jump in the tub, eat breakfast, then start on the turkey patties.

Suzanne ~ DS#1 did the dryer vent pipe clean out when he was here last mo. We have it done whenever one of them is here -- usually every 1-1.5 yrs. DH used to religiously do all these maintenance jobs, but no longer is able. It's a definite safety hazard not to do it regularly. Also, if anyone still have the white plastic vent exhaust, it needs to be changed to the silver metal type to reduce fire risk. It's that flexible vent with the metal rings that attaches to the back of the dryer & curves to attach to the metal pipe.

14. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario, baslp, Star lover thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning. I worked out this morning and ran some errands. Later today I have to tak3 2 of our dogs to the vet for laser treatments. I did a lot of sewing yesterday . I am almost finished with the Tula quilt. I just have to ssew the borders on.

Joy— thanks for the dryer tip. I need to get our vent cleaned in the near future. I only dry towels and sheets. I totally forgot to do this chore. After being here for 8 yrs, I had it done. We were so lucky that we did not have a fire.
    Have a good day.
    Beth

16. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover, Cathy F thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago we had a dryer vent fire. It was VERY scary. It started very quickly and extinguished itself once the lint burned up, thank goodness. I witnessed the entire thing.
    In addition to keeping the vent cleaned out, I never put a load of laundry in the dryer and leave the house or go to bed at night if the dryer is still running.

18. Thanks Star lover, Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I see the post about cleaning the dryer vent out. Recently I noticed that my dryer was certainly getting hot, but the clothes were not drying. I could see the moisture building up in the dryer. We called repairman, since Fred can no longer get down on the floor, nor can he move the dryer. Turns out that not only was our dryer vent plugged, but everything in it was drenched..wet lint, and, believe it or not, a HUGE nest (larger than a large grapefruit0 made of straw and grass inside the vent. The repairman had to use 13 feet of extension on his power drill to break it up and move it to the point where he could reach it and get rid of it He worked both from the outside of the house and the inside of the laundry area to accomplish this. We had a dryer vent cover on the outside of the house but the flaps had weakened and were now staying open,, allowing critters to go in a warm place (the weather here was dipping into the 1 digits. We have since replaced the vent cover with a screen guard that nothing can get into. Bad thing is that after the nest was removed from inside the laundry area, we had a mouse infestation. We got them all, but just thought I'd mention our experience with a clogged dryer vent. To be honest, I'm surprised we did not have a fire before it got as bad as it did.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

20. Thanks Star lover, Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post