Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never Again

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Never Again

Oh my what was I thinking when I was asked about making a quilt for someone. So I figure out a quote for said person and send it. (I had been given a photo of a patchwork quilt to go on). Really expected the person to say "never mind" once they get my quote. Nope, no problem with the quote and 50% required deposit. Fast forward to now when I have a break on another project. Send a text asking about 5 specific questions, trying to make sure I create what is wanted. I get a different photo (totally different colors) back in return with the comment "something like this". I am so frustrated and haven't even started yet.
    I am considering telling her that I need someone to come with me to select the fabrics to ensure that she gets what she wants. I am so afraid of making a queen size quilt and then the recipient not liking it. Am I reasonable to ask this? Part of me wishes I could just say never mind, I can't do it. Oh well, I can promise you I will never do this again after this one is complete.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Never Again

Wow! I think I would for sure have her come pick out the colors. And that the pattern is completely nailed down before going to pick out the colors.

3. Thanks Babs quilts thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Karen, I can feel the stress in your post. You can say never mind. It sounds like it is turning into a nightmare before you even get started. I think I would tell the person "please forgive me but I have over committed myself and can not take on this project." If they paid money already return it to them at the same time. If they seem disappointed, give them they name of a LQS that can give them names of people who take quilting for others.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Sending a hug too.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would have go with me and pick out the fabric and settle on a pattern at the same time, tell her you want to make sure she gets what she wants. Maybe even take a picture of the fabric and pattern with your phone and send to her that way she can remember what she chose and you have a record to protect yourself from changes she might make.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    I would have go with me and pick out the fabric and settle on a pattern at the same time, tell her you want to make sure she gets what she wants. Maybe even take a picture of the fabric and pattern with your phone and send to her that way she can remember what she chose and you have a record to protect yourself from changes she might make.
    I myself might consider backing out if definite plans aren't made. But that is just me.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you can't back out gracefully, then I'd have her go with me to shop. The one and only and never again time I made a quilt on purpose I had her shop with me. Best thing I ever did. My deal was (and this was 20 years ago) she paid for the fabric when we shopped and then paid me to make it. She chose the pattern. It was a lone star and I custom fit the borders to fit her bed.

Never again. She wanted it all hand quilted (no problem, it's what I do) yet expected it done in a couple months (my kids were young then). Called frequently (is it done yet?) hated the thing when it was done and couldn't wait to get rid of it and get paid. Like I said, never again......and I haven't!
    Anita

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your comments. I think I was just over stressed last night with this after also working a 12 hour day. When I agreed initially, I was retired and not working. I will most likely do it, but require that either she or her son, who it is ultimately for, accompany me at the LQS to select the fabrics. And there will definitely be a signed contract with everything spelled out. The good thing is, I have until May to get it done. At least you have all made me feel better that I am not crazy. OK maybe a little crazy for saying yes to begin with.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Karen nope, you are not crazy.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

13. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you have resolved this.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it all goes smoothly for you from here. This is why I don't take quilt orders...too nerve-wracking! I made one a couple of years ago for a guy who wanted a red, white, and blue quilt for his wife. She's a good friend and former co-worker, otherwise I wouldn't have agreed to do it. I was so glad to get that quilt finished and sent away...and vowed never again! The couple is now divorced...I hope she got to keep her quilt!
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*