Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wednesday Trivia: Montana

Some Interesting Facts about Montana:

Montana has the largest migratory elk herd in the nation.

At the Rocky Mountain Front Eagle Migration Area west of Great Falls more golden eagles have been seen in a single day than anywhere else in the country.

The average square mile of land contains 1.4 elk, 1.4 pronghorn antelope, and 3.3 deer.

The Freezeout Lake Wildlife Management Area contains as many as 300,000 snow geese and 10,000 tundra swans during migration.

At Bowdoin National Wildlife Refuge it is possible to see up to 1,700 nesting pelicans.

The Montana Yogo Sapphire is the only North American gem to be included in the Crown Jewels of England.

Attachment 156870

In 1888 Helena had more millionaires per capita than any other city in the world.

46 out of Montana's 56 counties are considered "frontier counties" with an average population of 6 or fewer people per square mile.

Montana is the only state with a triple divide allowing water to flow into the Pacific, Atlantic, and Hudson Bay. This phenomenon occurs at Triple Divide Peak in Glacier National Park.

The notorious outlaw, Henry Plummer, built the first jail constructed in the state, after he became a lawman.

Attachment 156871. Attachment 156872

The moose, now numbering over 8,000 in Montana, was thought to be extinct in the Rockies south of Canada in the 1900s.

Yellowstone National Park in southern Montana and northern Wyoming was the first national park in the nation. The park has 1000-3000 earthquakes each year and is home to one of the Earth’s few super volcanos.

The town of Ekalaka was named for the daughter of the famous Sioux chief, Sitting Bull.

Montana has the largest grizzly bear population in the lower 48 states.

The first luge run in North America was built at Lolo Hot Springs on Lolo Pass in 1965.

Combination, Comet, Keystone, Black Pine, Pony and former territorial capital Bannack are names of Montana ghost towns.

Virginia City was founded in 1863 and is considered to be the most complete original town of its kind in the United States.

Attachment 156873

The highest point in the state is Granite Peak at 12,799 feet.

Attachment 156874

The most visited place in Montana is Glacier National Park, known as the crown jewel of the continent. It lies along Montana's northern border and adjoins Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada, forming the world's first International Peace Park.

Buffalo in the wild can still be viewed at the National Bison Range in Moiese, south of Flathead Lake and west of the Mission Mountains.

Montana's rivers and streams provide water for three oceans and three of the North American continent's major river basins.

Just south of Billings, Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer and his troops made their last stand. Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument features the Plains Indians and United States military involved in the historic battle.

Every spring nearly 10,000 white pelicans with a wingspan of nine feet migrate from the Gulf of Mexico to Medicine Lake in northeastern Montana.

The Going to the Sun Road in Glacier Park is considered one of the most scenic drives in America.

Attachment 156875

Montana's name comes from the Spanish word mountain.

In Montana the elk, deer and antelope populations outnumber the humans.

Glacier National Park has 250 lakes within its boundaries.

Competing with the D River in Lincoln City, Oregon for the title of the world's shortest river, the Roe River flows near Great Falls. Both rivers lengths vary from 58 feet to 200 feet. The source for this small river is Giant Springs, the largest freshwater spring in the United States.

Fort Keogh holds the record for the largest snowflake ever observed, which was an astounding 15 inches in diameter.

Travelers Rest in Lolo was a stopping point on the Lewis and Clark Expedition. It’s the only site on the Lewis and Clark Trail that has physical proof of the explorers’ presence.

Montana holds the record for the most dramatic temperature change to occur over a 24-hour period. In 1972 in Loma, the temperature rose from -54˚F to 49˚F.

The coldest temperature ever recorded in the lower 48 was -70 degrees Fahrenheit in Rogers Pass, Montana.

Some Strange Laws in Montana:

- Prostitution is considered a “crime against the family”.
    - One may not pretend to abuse an animal in the presence of a minor.
    - In Montana, it is illegal for married women to go fishing alone on Sundays, and illegal for unmarried women to fish alone at all.
    - Seven or more Indians are considered a raiding or war party and it is legal to shoot them.
    - It is illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperone.
    - It is a felony for a wife to open her husband’s mail.
    - It is a misdemeanor to show movies that depict acts of felonious crime.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wednesday Trivia: Montana

I hope no Indians have been shot recently, lol!!

Welcome back Anita.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

3. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

An unchaperoned sheep in the cab is far more distracting than a cell phone!

I spent several summers in Ennis and have also worked for the country's most successful Cloth Diaper business which is based in Bozeman, MT. I did social media work for them for 2 years remotely, I sure wish we could have moved there, I love Montana!

5. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

if have 2 sheep, is one the chaperone?

7. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Having lived in the Pac. N.W., I've driven through Mont. many times. My first trip across MT was when my parents & I moved from MI to ID back in the '60's. We stopped in a little town, pop. 32. Had to eat breakfast in the local tavern. The outhouse toilets were labeled bulls & heifers. I think we got silver dollars among our change. The tavern had many Russell paintings on display.

One summer DH & I & our 4 boys toured Glacier Park. Beautiful! My DH drove the Going to the Sun Hwy. Scared the pants off him. He said never again. Lolo Pass also is a beautiful drive. One time we visited Virginia City. We ate in a small restaurant either there or in Nev. City, which is close by. Had the biggest, most delicious BBQ ribs ever. I've been to Yellowstone twice. Absolutely spectacular. They don't call MT "Big Sky Country" for nothing.

9. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Flew over Glacier National Park in helicopter. Pretty amazing considering I'm afraid of heights!

Gina

11. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post