Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sock Monkey Question

Way back in the dark ages when I was young. My great-aunt Dolia made me a sock monkey. My mother being the keeper of all things, kept it for me and I've kept it because Howard's grandmother made it (just like she made them for all of her grand- children/ nieces and nephews.

Anyway, it's filled with ???, but I have it stored in a zip lock bag because it drives my head nuts to be around it.

Here's the question... Does anyone know the best way to 'unstuff it' so I can clean it and fill it with something less histamine producing. I'd love to give it to one of my grandchildren since it is the only one left.

lol, Howard even remembered getting one from his Grandmother. I don't think it meant as much to him as he was 7 almost 8 years older than I was. He told me about all three boys having sock monkeys that lived extremely hard lives in their house.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

2. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sock Monkey Question

Probably have to do a pick apart at the seams to get the stuffing. Not sure how easy of a task that would be.

Also, you can still buy the socks which come with the pattern to make the sock monkey. I made them several years ago for the children for Christmas. I found the socks at Orscheln Farm and Home. These could be a very special gift from you to the grandchildren.

4. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I bought the socks I found them at Sears.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would check and see if the arm and legs, tail were stuffed then sewn on or the other way around. If he was sewn, then stuffed you could rip the seam between his legs (ouch!) and pull the stuffing out. Then re-stuff him. If his parts were stuffed then sewn, it is a bit more work but do-able.
    Have you thought of putting him in a bag of kitty litter and sealing the bag then leaving it for a month or so? If he is stuffed with polyfill he could be washable. I would try the end of a foot or tail and see what happens. Good luck
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hope your monkey can be salvaged. I'm a fan of SMs. They used to scare me when I was a child but later in life I fell in love with them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.....you sure brought back memories. But alas....no memory of the stuff in the monkey. So sorry, but sure made me smile, remembering.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My grandmother made them for my kids too. A few years back I bought the sock monkey fabric and made them all pillowcases. Yes, they adored the idea.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Is it straw in the monkey?
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deegles View Post
    Is it straw in the monkey?
    It could be. My allergies have been acting up this week, so it's still in the plastic bag. No sense in courting trouble. ;-)
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou