Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Thread Racks

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thread Racks

Greetings!

I'm trying to instill a little bit of order in my sewing room, and could definitely benefit from a more organized way to store my thread. I mostly use Aurifil for piecing, both in the 1300 meter spools, and 5900 meter cones. I also have a selection of other large cones for my long arm. I would love a wall mounted thread rack, but whenever I look at them on Amazon they seem too small to accommodate cones and/or have terrible reviews in terms of quality and assembly. What do you all use, and where did you get it?

Thanks in advance.

Happy New Year!

Holly

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thread Racks

I'm no help, lol, I have a shelf in my sewing room closet that's just about all thread.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For my longarm cones and pantographs I got this mounted on the wall

https://www.target.com/p/closetmaid-...AaAnyIEALw_wcB

4. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I am not lucky enough to have a long arm but I do store my threads on a peg board, I am sure you could get longer hooks to accommodate the larger spools. With my vision troubles I can have several bobbins wound and hang them on the same hook as the spools this keeps them organized and I know which off white threads belong together.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried a number of things. DH recently bought a cubboard that was for CD's I would guess that he thought he could use for ammo but it wouldn't work for that so he suggested I might like it for thread. Not so much but that's where my thread is right now because it was so sweet of him wanting to share it with me.

7. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

For serger cones and EMB threads storage I had dry erase board cut to fit the drawer. Then hot glued golf tees onto the board. The golf tees keep the threads in place when one is being used.

9. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, MSN thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I don't particularly like keeping thread out where it can get dusty and be exposed to light. For my embroidery thread, I got some plastic boxes with a hinged lid. Inside are two trays that the cones snap onto. For larger cones of thread, something like this would be useful. If you have a drawer the right size, it could just fit in the drawer. If not, they also sell a case that this tray will fit in.

https://www.amazon.com/ArtBin-Super-...0PW00D2SM1DZDR

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I store my thread in a plastic cart meant for paper crafting . Each "drawer" is removable and is actually a case with a snap shut/open lid so thread is kept dust free and away from sunlight. Because the cases are easily removed I can carry it to any area to match/select thread. I labeled each case with the kind/purpose/etc - such as dark machine quilting, embroidery, etc. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thread storage.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	156848 I hope I got a picture of it on here (not very good at doing that!). I bought the cart at Michael's with a 50% coupon - it works well for me.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning: I am watching an Angela Walters u-tube video. She is in her shop and she walked over to her thread rack. It is a piece of pegboard with pegs - that hold her large spools. The show I'm watching is "Machine Quilting Diamond Blocks - Featuring Julie Herman's Boomerang Quilt" - watch this - she goes to her shop. You will see what I mean about the peg board. My husband put a large piece of pegboard on my wall to hang rulers and whatever - but using the wooden pegs - it's perfect for the thread.