Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It is Monday and my last post of 2018.

Well I have the best last day of 2018 because my last day at work was on Friday, so this is my first official day of retirement! My last day was great, I hardly did any work. About 35 people came in to say goodbye and wish me well, and the co-workers from my department got me a giant decorated sheet cake with my name almost spelled correctly, and they gave me a $50 gift card to Jo Ann's. And at the end of the day I got to give one of the Physians Assistants a piece of my mind. (I worked in a hospital). An outpatient had some spinal fluid drawn then was told to call if she had complications after she got home, which she did. The P.A. wanted ME to call her back and tell her to go to the E.R. I said No, I am not doing that. You want her to go to the E.R. when she is in pain, where she will sit for about 3 hours and run up a $2,000 bill all because you think you are too important to call her. That is such B.S.!! I said the decision to call her is up to you, but then I am calling a radiologist (her boss) and have him make the call. Well that got her attention, she said No! Don't do that. I will call her. I loved that I got her to back down like that. Sometimes it feels good to be sassy!

Today I got up earlyish 7:30, washed a load of dishes and put a beef stew in the crock pot. My dh is splurging having lobster tails tonight but I don't like them, so good for him he doesn't have to share! I got all my boxes out of the attic so I can take my Christmas tree down. Its losing needles like crazy. My grandkids were here a few days ago and I toyed with the idea of letting them help (they are 7,6,3). But then I remembered how the 6 &7 yo "helped" me last year and it turned into a race to see who could get the most off the tree the fastest. Nothing got broken but I like certain things in special boxes so it made it harder to match those things up. Well no more coffee left in my cup so I better get started on the tree.

Happy New Year everyone, and thank you for all your help and friendship this year.
    Jocelyn

2. Thanks Star lover, MSN, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning friends. Not sure what's on the schedule for today. The weather is gray, rainy & dreary & has been for several days. We are looking forward to seeing that bright yellow ball in the sky....hopefully tomorrow!

My wish for my family and all of yours is...........may we all have a Happy, Healthy New Year. For those dealing with the loss of loved ones.....praying that peace & happy memories will bring you comfort.

Barb, even though I've never met Dottie and the pups, their stories always make me laugh & brighten my day!

On the news earlier they were doing a segment on New Years Eve party outfits. I had to laugh.....they were showing a sequined outfit...............I'm thinking more along the lines of lounge pants & a t-shirt & my grinch quilt.

Hope you all have a Happy and Safe New Year.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

4. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your retirement, Jocelyn! Enjoy that extra quilting time!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

6. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Happy New Year! Not much happening here today. We have to decide what to make for dinner tonight.. My DD is headed back to Seattle this afternoon. I want to cut out the pieces for another quilt today.
    Jocelyn — congrats on your retirement.
    Suzanne— your quilts are amazing.

Hope everyone has a healthy and happy new year.
    Beth

8. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Retirement Jocelyn!!! I retired a year ago and can't believe where that year went. Much joy to you!!!

10. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pcbatiks View Post
    Congrats on your retirement, Jocelyn! Enjoy that extra quilting time!
    I echo Pam's congratulations! It's a great day when you get to retire. Good for you telling that PA off! It was probably a long time coming. Happy 2019 to you and your Hubby.

12. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Good day all, and Happy New Year. I will be glad to put this year behind me. High points and low points. I lost family and friends this year that broke my heart. No deaths...just a a parting of the ways. A couple of them were very hard on me.
    I was ill a LOT last winter and this spring. The docs finally got a handle on most of it, and I handled the rest. This is the first fall/winter season I have not been ill, more than I have been well.
    I worked really hard at crafting this year...and it really paid off. Will start that up again mid January. Also planning another family trip to Disney World this year. DD and the grands want to go back, and DH will be going with us this time. Traveling will be split for that....DD and 2 kids are flying...DH, me and one grand are driving. (DH won't fly)
    Anyway, I am looking forward to hopefully being healthier this year, and getting lots of crafting and quilting done.
    Wishing all of my quilty friends a very happy, healthy, and prosperous new year. May you have all that you need, and some of wht you want.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

14. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Jocelyn on your retirement! Having worked in a hospital I can fully appreciate your experience and I would have considered it a fitting last day. Hope you find lots of time to sew from now on.
    I was up bright and early doing laundry. Then I took down all the Christmas decorations except the tree and the window candles. One more night of lights, then it will come down tomorrow. Normally we'd leave everything up for another week but the grand-pup is coming for a visit at the end of the week. It will make life easier for everyone if all this is put away. We have no special plans for New Year's eve other than a quiet dinner with family.
    I for one am glad to see the holiday season come to an end. This year was especially hard and I find that as the years pass I'm more and more sad and stressed at this time of year. I'm sure the cold, dreary weather doesn't help.
    I finished about half of the string quilt I started over the weekend. I'm going to put it aside to finish the tree skirt so I can pack it away with everything else. Tomorrow I'll spend some time in my sewing room making some notes...look back at what I've accomplished this year and make a list for the new year.
    Wishing you all the best in 2019.
    Last edited by chelea; December 31st, 2018 at 04:44 PM.
    Michele

To the world you may be one person. But to one person you may be the world.

16. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on retirement Jocelyn! I am happy that you get to enjoy extra quilting time and time for whatever you want to do. You've earned it.

The last day of 2018 has been a great day to end a so-so year. I feel guilty for not counting my blessings more, but it has not been a good year. I started laundry this morning like many of you. I guess no one wants to do laundry on New Years Day. That day should be set aside for doing all the things we want to do in the new year. Make sure to get some quilting in. I did not on New Years Day 2018 and regretted it all year so tomorrow will be a huge piecing and quilting day. Lasagna is in the crock pot for dinner tonight. Tomorrow we will make the Northern good-luck meal of pork and sauerkraut. Yum.

Everyone have a safe and wonderful New Year's Eve celebration. Happy quilting to all of you for all of 2019.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Necchi" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

18. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good evening everyone. It has been a busy day today. I like to get the house all straightened and clean on New Year's Eve. It's an Irish tradition and that's what we did at our house growing up. We also usually had a New Year's Eve get-together at our house so that was another reason for cleaning up. I like the tradition. Good way to start off the new year.

Last night I picked out fabric and cut the pieces for a couple of the hand-stitching blocks I am doing with my gf in California. We set them aside a couple weeks after Thanksgiving to concentrate on the Christmas doings but will be starting up again. They are from the book The Farmer's Wife. Tomorrow we will have our decadent breakfast of cinnamon buns and watch the Rose Bowl parade. Dinner will be stuffed shells and sausage. Sauce is already made and I am about ready to go stuff the shells and we will be all set for tomorrow. And I can sit and stitch to my heart's content. Of course, if Kathryn goes into labor, all that might change.

Tonight we are just going to have some Chinese food for dinner and then, if we are up to it, go next door to a neighbor's to ring in the new year. Not sure I actually feel like going. But I don't want to be anti-social either.

And congratulations on your retirement Jocelyn! I've been retired 5 months and I love it. DH will be joining the ranks early in 2019. And good for you telling that PA what you thought.

Break time is over. Have a wonderful New Year's Eve no matter what your plans are. I wish everyone health and happiness, comfort and joy and lots of sewing time too.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

20. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post