Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Remaking of an old quilt!

Hi from Michigan! I'm new to quilting and have a dilemma! My mother-in-law hand quilted a baby sized quilt using a stamped fabric which basically wore out over the years from overuse. However, the top piece of fabric with the stamped animal's survived and my granddaughter wants another quilt made from that piece of fabric. I cleaned it and hand quilted around the animals, but need to know how to proceed from there. The fabric is very thin and I'm not certain the fabric surrounding the design would withstand machine quilting to give it strength. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Remaking of an old quilt!

So, you hand quilted around the animals and I guess that means the quilt sandwich (batting and backing) was not too tattered? We would love to help you but do you think you could post a few pictures so we could see and give you better advice. Also do you happen to know if the material used is 100% cotton or is it a mix of fabrics. I am a little confused. You said the top piece survived? So did you cut the top up and away from the backing? In my head I am picturing pieces the size of a pocket with an animal outline quilted on each piece. You can see how a photo would be helpful here.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; December 28th, 2018 at 01:06 AM.

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome from Northeast Ohio! Sorry I can't answer your question, but there are lots of quilters here who should be able to help you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Welcome 8.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	156713

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

photocopy the item or take a photo and upload using the icon 3rd from ^ end in quick reply
    press 'browse' computer if photo on computer and press 'upload' under browse box

hi and welcome to forum wanted to add arrow under the icon hence why upside down heehee
    hope someone can help you.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all! I've taken some pics of quilt 21 years ago and today. I'll get them on my computer and include them with timeline, etc. tomorrow!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	quilt photos 207.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	156740

Name:	quilt photos 208.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	156741

Name:	quilt photos 211.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	156742

Name:	quilt photos 209.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	156743

Name:	quilt photos 210.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	156744
    Pic #1 and 2 are the only pics of the original quilt. #3 is when we were trying to salvage what was left and as you can see the back was bad!!! #4 and 5 are what I have hand quilted thus far with a different backing. My question is, should the rest of the quilt be hand quilted to give it some structure? It will not be handled by a child anymore. Thanks for you suggestions and help. Becky

8. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like what you have rescued here is what they call a panel quilt, a large pre-printed picture surrounded by smaller ones. Since I don't machine quilt I cannot give you advice on that, but others on the Forum can. I don't see why it couldnt be either machine or handcquilted though. Personally, I would hand quilt the front just doing simple radiating straight lines at an angle from outside edge towards the bear, one line in between each of the smaller shapes. You might need to look up the QAYG (quilt as you go) method. Each panel would be its own block with its own back and its own batting (and the blocks attached together from the back by hand), as opposed to a normal quilt with backing and batting in a single large piece the size of your bed plus additional inches if you want drop down, that is, if it is to go beyond the edge of your mattress and hang down over the sides of your bed. I hope this is the kind of answer you are looking for. If not come back and ask more questions. We don't mind! Good luck with the project. It is a cute quilt and good of you to want to give it a second life. It looks much loved already.
    Edit: I just took another look at your pictures. Hard to tell if that panel is the only one you have, or if you have more than one panel that you are grouping together to make one quilt top. Obviously if it is just the one panel you should disregard QAYG because you would not have multiple panels to sew together.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; December 29th, 2018 at 04:12 PM.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you jjkaiser for your expertise and help! This indeed is a single panel 30 x 40 & I'll be putting a binding, or maybe two, around it. I might try simple diagonal stitch by machine, but if it creates any problem because of the fabric being thin, I'll hand quilt the entire quilt.