• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JCY
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2013

Anyone buy fabric from Amazon?

This evening I was placing an order for something else & decided to browse the fabric section. I made it only through page 40 of 400 pages! I found a cute Dr. Seuss panel with matching yardage & ordered them. I just checked M*'s stock; they don't have the panel I ordered & the yardage is out of stock. The yardage at M* is cheaper, but... I saved shipping at Amazon. Until the end of Jan., Amazon is offering free shipping on any size order. Free shipping is 5-8 days. I noticed they carry name brand fabrics like Kaffe Fassett, Tula Pink, etc. But a person always needs to know prices & compare. I still give preference to M* if what I want is available.
  • Carlie Wolf
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Re: Anyone buy fabric from Amazon?

I'd stick with name brands there. Some of the fabric otherwise is not great. Ask how I know :-)
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• K. McEuen
      Super Moderator
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2011

Most of Amazon fabric is from fabric.com
      K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

• chelea
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2012

I've purchased fabric from Amazon, always name brands. It comes from many sources.
        Michele
        ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
        To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• shataidow
          Beginning Stitcher
          • Aug 2018

in last 8 months i have ordered from M*, fabric.com and amazon. with amazon sometimes it is sold and fulfilled by amazon, or sold by ....(probably a quilt store) and fulfilled by amazon, and sometimes sold by and shipped from.....3rd party. you just have to look at information when you order. sometimes 3rd party charges mailing even if you are eligible for free shipping. but i have had great service from all 3 places.

Comment

• toggpine
            Missouri Star
            • Aug 2009

I understand Amazon bought out Fabric.com
            I had good luck ordering from Fabric.com, but not all others did.
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• Vonnie
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2013

I have bought fabric with no problem from Amazon. When I got the fabric, the name of the seller was a quilt store in California. I looked up their website and the fabric I ordered was a dollar cheaper than Amazon. So I ordered more from them.
              Vonnie

Comment

• cv quilter
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2015

I've ordered fabric from Amazon several times. Never have had any trouble. I've gotten Robert Kaufman fabric, and others. My daughter ordered some Michael Miller flannel for some baby blankets and it was beautiful flannel, nice weight, washed up beautifully. I think, like the others, stick with names you know and you should be fine.
                A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• grammaterry
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2015

I usually, not just with fabric, look at the seller/fullfiller and then go to their website to check them out before ordering. Usually Amazon is my go-to for pricing things out.
                  success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                  Terry of NC

Comment

• jjkaiser
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

I have bought a few hard to find charm packs and they were identical in quality, number of pieces etc as what came from M or FQS. Make sure you read the fine print carefully and stay away from anything that is shipped directly from China. The quality might be inferior and it will seriously take forever to get.
                    Jocelyn
                    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• bakermom
                      Missouri Star
                      • Sep 2010

yes, I have found fabric there I couldn't find anywhere else. Haven't been disappointed yet.
                      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• oldmanquilts
                        Designer Diva
                        • May 2018

Like 'em or don't for whatever reason, Amazon is a great resource for almost everything. I think it's been 10 years now since Amazon bought Fabric.com. I buy from both places. I always check Amazon for the same fabric I see from other places. In the case of Fabric.com, some Amazon distribution centers may have it in stock for less, and maybe free shipping too. You do have to shop them as wisely as one does anywhere.

JCY- I didn't see a blanket "free freight" policy. Perhaps you got a free trial Prime membership? If so, check your credit card statement. You are instantly billed for a yearly Prime membership, but have 30 days to cancel, and the cost is refunded- almost as quick as it was when they charged your card.

JJ- I ordered some binding clips (like Clover Wonderclips) only way cheaper.They were $6.99/100- shipped free. They were on my porch in 4 days. I didn't realize they were coming from China until I got the package. I just ordered 6 pair of Machingers gloves for $7.99 plus $4.99 shipping. That's like 5 pair free.

Amazon just built a distribution center here in Portland (Troutdale actually) that has 855,000 sq. ft. under one roof. That's almost 20 acres. It's also huge for our local economy.

Here's one I like- Jeff Bezos has a direct contact point for customer concerns. According to Business Insider he reads every one. Though you won't likely get a personal reply, he forwards the complaints to the appropriate department heads with a "?" mark as the only communication. It's a feared message from "the boss." He wants an answer as to why a customer complaint has reached his desk, and what are we doing to fix it, and how long will it take? Ever wonder about the value of a focus on customer service? The wealthiest man in the world doesn't- he knows!
                        You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2018

yes have bought from Textile francias who sell on Amazon UK they delivery really quickly in UK, and wrap fabric in tissue paper, its an 'event 'opening the package. the fabric has something on it so it stays in place when cut, I tend to attempt to wash off fabric in cold water shower and dry before use.
                          did once order something from another company on amazon uk and had to use the refund facility, when the wrong fabric was sent, the company wanted to charge 20% of the fabric fee for restocking, but amazon saw they did not mention this on listing. thumbs up to Amazon..

over is it £20 buying from amazon, not sellers on amazon in Uk there is an option for a 5 working day free shipping,
                          Last edited by 201 Treadler; December 28, 2018, 11:36 AM.
                          🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

• QMidgeQ
                            Fabric Fanatic
                            • Dec 2018

Yes, In the distant past they were not very careful cutting, Lately (2019) I have had very good products, but I order only named fabric. I do also see they sell on Amazon and with free shipping I do use Amazon too.
                            "A finished quilt is better than a perfect one that isn't"

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                              Missouri Star
                              • Apr 2012

I once bought a fat quarter bundle fom Amazon. One of the fabrics was quite obviously polyester and not cotton. I double checked the listing ("100%") and then contacted the seller. She sent me replacements quicker than I could sneeze! So in the long run, I was quite happy.

I think it all depends on the ethics of the seller.
                              Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
                              X