Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default What quilting fear/stumbling block have you conquered this year?

We all (or mainly all) have them....the things we don't like to do, or just avoid because we feel our skills are lacking. But hopefully, this past year has seen us all grow and learn new things.
    For me, it was HSTs. I had tried them several times, and no matter what I did, they came out wonky. They were horrible and I was ashamed of them. Then early this fall I cleaned out my stash closet and found a project that I'd started years ago and stopped because they were HST squares. I loved the fabric (Jinny Beyer Palette charm pack - 150 charm squares) and paired it with white charm squares. So I decided that no matter what I'd get it done. I through caution to the wind and kept thinking "Better Done Than Perfect" as I made them. And somewhere in all that sewing, something clicked. My seams were straight, not puckered. I used steam to press everything and they laid flat. The diagonal was right where it was supposed to be. I trimmed them a bit because the charm squares were not all the same size and as I looked at the piles of (300) squares I thought they looked beautiful. And I was proud of them.
    I can't explain it, I'm just going to be happy about it. They will sit quietly in a bin until later this coming year when I finish all the quilts that need quilting.
    So what has been your Ah Ha moment?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What quilting fear/stumbling block have you conquered this year?

I think one of my biggest fears has been foundation paper piecing. It was one of the themes in the SS this year. At first, to meet the challenge, I bought a roll of triangle papers. Then later I decided I had to at least try. It finally clicked, like you said. I really enjoy it now.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Foundation paper piecing. I seem to always get things upside down and backwards. I have given myself permission to not like this method...there are plenty of others to keep me happy. I think it is OK not to be perfect in each and every style, but work on those that make us happy. THAT was my Aha moment.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mitered corners. I have hated them but this year I decided to keep trying till I got it right. I still have to really think about what I'm doing but I can get them to come out right at least 85% of the time.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Fran View Post
    Foundation paper piecing. I seem to always get things upside down and backwards. I have given myself permission to not like this method...there are plenty of others to keep me happy. I think it is OK not to be perfect in each and every style, but work on those that make us happy. THAT was my Aha moment.
    I am with you on this!! I have successfully completed a couple PP wall hangings but the method is not one that I enjoy. No rush to do more.

6. Thanks 201 Treadler, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This year I conquered procrastination in starting the next project. I joined a stash pot pie at my LQS and made at least one stash or scrap quilt each month. It kept me hopping from project to project! A new grandson interrupted mid year with his need for baby quilts of his own, so I have 6 more stash quilts to work on this year. Then I need to quilt them all!!! That will be my giant this year.....getting over my fear of my LA!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Y Seams! In February I finally finished the top of a large Hexi quilt (still haven't quilted it, but it's on my to do list very soon). I learned two things with that quilt.

1. When dealing with hexis, pay attention to the grain of the fabric, make sure the straight of grain is going the same direction on all hexis. It will make the Y-Seams so much easier to deal with.

2. Patience and persistence pays off with Y-Seams. Take your time, and don't give up is the key to success (just like many things in life I guess).

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this. For me it is FMQ. I thought I never would even want to, then I did want to but it was so hard. Then, little by little I got better. I am still only good at vertical lines, wood grain, echoing , but still! This is a great jump for me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Probably FMQ. When I realized how expensive paying a LAer would be, I decided I needed to learn. I've taken 4 classes, read books, & watched many videos on the internet. In the past 6 years I've made great strides. It really does takes practice.

The only paper piecing I've done is for string quilts using Jenny's 10" paper squares. I have never made a Y seam. I've watched Donna Jordan's tutorial on making mitered corners for borders, but I still haven't done it. Maybe one of these days.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was paper piecing. It was because of the Secret Santa group that I gave it a try and I actually had a lot of fun with it.