Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What quilting fear/stumbling block have you conquered this year?

Hand-quilted 4 this year, one a queensize, and pieced 5. Binding the las2 this week, and another queen on the frame to start the New Year, so I kinda feel accomplished
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

2. Thanks Old Newbie, 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Learnt can free motion quilt the 110" on the 201, was concerned how to quilt, but decided on a all over pattern, thinking would be structurally more sound with fm then constant turning quilt to stitch in ditch with a walking foot. To be honest constant turning a quilt this size in the harp fills me with dread.

foundation paper piecing, my stumbling area was actually the resize of the pattern on a copier, directions say enlarge 200% but button presser set to 200% and only got 1 page, no other pages appeared, still have not conquered this.

found could draw the pattern to my size in inches rather than percent, by pencil and ruler, then draw patterns to make full use of a sheet of paper, photo copied , then cut out to enable folding easier, takes longer, but is now another skill learnt
    found the add a quarter plus ruler was very useful for me. looking forward to the next foundation paper piecing.

looking forward next year to finishing the 110", finally sinking the threads in the sewing room quilt, perhaps there is a Lonestar in my future.
    love the constant inspiration, learning new techniques & methods.

4. Thanks Old Newbie, MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know it seems little but my biggest accomplishment was finally getting my quarter inch seams consistent. That sure improved a lot of blocks! I finally bought a 1/4" foot for my machine and now I'm happy with them. The other thing that helped me tremendously was using my iron instead of finger pressing. I use the iron much more as I'm working on a block now. I've actually begun to find it relaxing.

I've been afraid to try trapundo (sp?). But that's on my list for a challenge this year. I love the look of white's on white so I think I'll find this technique rewarding. Last year I tried paper piecing and my intuition was right.....I hate, hate, hate doing it!!

Caroline T. I was afraid of Y seams too but after seeing Sitar's tutorial Trail Mix on Craftsy I found it quite easy. I liked her technique and she explained it well. Now I'm not afraid of it at all and have used it several times without a thought.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

6. Thanks Old Newbie, 201 Treadler, MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it would have been paper piecing. I have been wanting to try it for several years but never made myself sit down and focus on it. I think I was intimidated to try it in my own. A few months ago our little quilting group decided to do a group paper piecing project. One of our ladies had plenty of experience and agreed to teach the rest of us. It was very helpful having someone teaching us where we could stand and watch her. She was an excellent teacher and the project was fun. I enjoyed it and was happy to finally learn how to do paper piecing. A good teacher makes a big difference.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

8. Thanks Old Newbie, 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

One of the Secret Santa themes was paper piecing and I thought about using one of my theme swaps for it but I gave it a try & I did it!!

I also did a lot of FMQ, mostly meanders, but I made my son a throw for Xmas backed with minky, and I managed swirls and some of them were even good, lol.

10. Thanks Old Newbie, 201 Treadler, MSN thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

For me it has been an interesting year learning to quilt at all.
    This has been my first year quilting anything.
    I enjoyed learning to piece tops, sandwich quilts and quilt my creations.

Seriously! It's been a fun, challenging learning experience.

I have so many things I want to make.........

For 2019 the goal is to learn needle turn applique (sp?).

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I conquered partial seams after having to sew dozens of them as part of the basket lattice quilt by Sheri Pape. http://sheripapedesigns.com/gallery/2191basketlattice/

13. Thanks Old Newbie, 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 201 Treadler View Post
    found the add a quarter plus ruler was very useful for me. looking forward to the next foundation paper piecing.
    I did a little bit of paper piecing probably 20 years ago, but didn't really enjoy it, and wasn't happy with the finished product. I tried it again with the add a quarter ruler, and that technique completely changed my viewpoint. I recently completed a paper-pieced wall hanging (well, it still needs FMQ), and have another project planned.

15. Thanks Old Newbie, 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    I know it seems little but my biggest accomplishment was finally getting my quarter inch seams consistent. That sure improved a lot of blocks! I finally bought a 1/4" foot for my machine and now I'm happy with them. The other thing that helped me tremendously was using my iron instead of finger pressing. I use the iron much more as I'm working on a block now. I've actually begun to find it relaxing.
    Carlie Wolf, I had to laugh when I read your post. Achieving a 1/4" seam is so crucial, and I struggled even with a 1/4" foot for my old machine. I started looking for a new machine, but had the same difficulty. What made the difference for me is using a seam guide in front of the presser foot. If I can keep the fabric straight as it feeds under the presser foot, I get an accurate seam, and life is just so much better.

As I was shopping for a new machine, I settled on a Bernina because it had a seam guide. In hindsight, I could have saved myself a ton of money buying a cheaper machine and putting down a couple layers of masking tape on the throat plate. As they say, "We grow too soon old and too late smart."

I also like to use my iron after each seam. I figure I'm getting exercise by constantly moving between my sewing machine and ironing table. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
    Last edited by MSN; December 28th, 2018 at 01:30 AM.

17. Thanks Old Newbie, 201 Treadler thanked for this post