Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What quilting fear/stumbling block have you conquered this year?

Foundation piecing. On my second attempt at paper piecing I managed to ruffle the fabric while it was still sewed to the paper. Good grief. Not a little ruffle, a big huge ruffle. I kept taking classes and trying different methods until I finally found freezer paper piecing with the freezer paper on the front (right) side of the fabric. At last a foundation piecing method that I can do reliably.

So don't give up. There all all kinds of classes and many different methods. One will click with you.

Next year I will be tackling curved piecing for the third time. It gives me cold sweats every time.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it was gaining a little bit of comfort with machine embroidery. I'm still a rank beginner, and I hate that I can't find any hands-on classes locally. But, I forced myself to try a few projects, and they turned out OK. Getting the fabric straight in the hoop is getting easier with a new, larger hoop. I just purchased a stack of dish towels and will look for suitable embroidery designs. How nice it will be to have a bunch of hostess gifts completed!

My next hurdle is FMQ. I made a wall quilt for DH's birthday. I used my walking foot for SITD and some other straight line quilting, but now I have to actually drop the feed dogs and get serious. I have found designs that I want to use, but I am dragging my feet about actually attempting it. Perhaps this weekend.........

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have two challenges but although I worked on both, to say I mastered either would be wildly exaggerating. Not even close. The first is curved piecing. I have watched so many videos and tried copying them step by step and don't even come close to it coming out right. The other challenge I attempted, well I am a handquilter and pretty good if it is okay to say that. But I can only quilt towards me, not away from me or with my thumb. I tried to tackle that but the results were terrible, the stitches very large and clunky looking and not uniform, reminded me of trying to write left handed if you are right handed. Turns out sort if wonky and sad. I don't know if 2019 will be the year I can conquer these things, or if I ever will, but I will continue trying.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; December 27th, 2018 at 02:31 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I am a handquilter and pretty good if it is okay to say that. But I can only quilt towards me, not away from me or with my thumb. I tried to tackle that but the results were terrible, the stitches very large and clunky looking and not uniform, reminded me of trying to write left handed if you are right handed. Turns out sort if wonky and sad. I don't know if 2019 will be the year I can conquer these things, or if I ever will, but I will continue trying.
    Jocelyn, when you win a blue ribbon at your state fair, it is more than okay to say you are a "pretty good" hand quilter. When hand quilting, I too can only quilt towards me. But I don't see this as a problem. As long as I am happy with the finished stitches, it doesn't matter to me which way I turned the hoop or whether I used my finger or my thumb.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was FMQ, I wanted to do it but was scared to try. Anyway I bit the bullet and made a start. I can only meander but it's getting a better. In 2019 I hope to improve on that and will start using stencils, so let's see how that goes!!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

This past year I have conquered my fear of ruler work. I’m still not very good at it but practice once a week for a couple of hours. At least I see improvement!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Achievement for the year:
    Foundation Paper Piecing......I was at a friends' house for dinner one evening and fell in love with a Judy Neimeyer wall hanging she had just finished. It inspired me to "get brave" and have a go myself. I had always thought this method would be too much of a challenge for me as "exactness" often eludes me but I figured "hey, if my friend who has a very "relaxed" attitude to her craft cn produce something this gorgeous, what am I so scared of?" So I marched myself down to the local quilt shop and selected a pattern. It was so exciting getting my pattern home and sorting out all the templates and instructions....I loved the orderly-ness of it all, the methodology, the need for organisation and the attention to detail. I've now completed several fpp pieces and have loved doing every one of them. It is a method I can completely relax into and I'm so pleased I gave myself a push to try it. It is now my favourite style and i can't see myself doing any other style in the near future!

Stumbling block for the year:
    Ruler work....ugh!

Aren't we all different!! LOL
    Last edited by just4me; December 27th, 2018 at 08:05 AM.

8. Thanks 201 Treadler, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Really nothing I haven't done or can think of, other than machine quilting, which I have absolutely NO desire to do. I LOVE hand quilting.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting so much better at patching DH's jeans. I am almost proud of my darning on the machine skills. I attribute this to my persistence in practicing FMQ and realized that darning was sort of like that. His jeans patches now blend into his jeans rather than standing out like ...well...like patches. And Lord knows, I do a lot of patching with that man. He is like a little boy when he goes out to play, snagging and burning and ripping.

11. Thanks 201 Treadler, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you, Auntstuff! I haven't conquered or challenged myself in quilting very much this year. This was such a busy year health wise for my husband, my FIL and mom requiring additional care, that my quilts have been safe and easy tried and true ones.

I had challenged myself to get more tops quilted this year, which I did either on my sit down, or using pantographs on a rented LA. The latter is cheaper than having done by LAQ, and I am proud that I am getting better. I realized that I like piecing tops more than the quilting part.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

13. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post