Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Gentle reminder that may save a life!

I know that this is the time of year for potlucks and food exchanges. Please save a life and label any food that have potential allergens in them.

What brings this request to mind? My DH and I had Christmas dinner at a beautiful café we found on a military base (I know, weird thought huh?). One of the offerings on the buffet was a luscious looking yam casserole. I took one bite and knew it had nuts in it. The waitress said yes it had pecans in it. She was horrified when I explained I have nut allergies. Within a half an hour my tongue was swollen, I itched all over and breathing become more difficult. Luckily, we found a small store open and I got some Benadryl. I am fine now but it was scary for both myself and my DH.

Oh, and yes I normally carry medicine but since we were going hiking around a couple of lakes I didn't take my purse. So now we have Benadryl in the glove box.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Gentle reminder that may save a life!

Laura I'm so glad you are OK. Good advice. Thanks for sharing!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad you're alright.

At dinner tonight, there were several dishes I didn't take because of the 'unknown' factor. Creamed corn (creamed with cream cheese and rotelle tomatoes). I can't eat cheese, and it looked so good, too.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to a restaurant yet that doesn't have a list of allergens in its food, available upon request. Did you ask for one?

And if a restaurant for some reason didn't have a list of allergens, the people with whom I travel wouldn't risk eating the food, especially if they left their allergy medicine elsewhere.

Also, wait staff are well-aware of allergy concerns, and they will ask the chef if we have any concerns.

Seriously, I can't imagine someone with nut allergy just digging in to any food without asking, and without allergy meds within reach!

5. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Potlucks & restaurants can be booby traps for sensitive people. I have a grt. gr. son who has food allergies; his mom always packs Benadryl with her. It's been many yrs. since my DH has eaten in a restaurant due to food allergies. He's deathly allergic to MSG, & that can be hidden in many foods & labeled under other chemical names besides MSG. Church potlucks have been off limits to him for several yrs. One just never can be sure what's in the food. E.g., some casseroles, including the popular green bean casserole, contain Cream of Mushroom soup or other creamed soups. They are laced with MSG. When I take a food item to a church potluck, I place a card in front of my food with all the ingredients listed. We have several people at our church who require gluten free food. There usually are selections provided that are gluten free.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

JCY I do the same thing with any food I take. That way if they like the dish they can take a picture of the card and have the recipe for themselves.
    Kaydee, this was a special Christmas buffet and the yams weren't even on the posted list of dishes. I am always super careful but I have never heard of putting pecans in candied yams. As soon as the fork touched my mouth I knew what had happened and didn't eat the rest of the serving. The last attack I had this bad was over 15 years ago, so I guess I let my guard down in enjoying the day with my husband.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

9. Thanks auntiemern, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, gotcha. Actually, I have a recipe for candied yams that includes nuts. We leave them out, though in our family, our nut allergy is limited to uncooked nuts. (Also all uncooked veggies and fruits.)

As for green bean casserole, believe it or not, I make a small dish of that for my daughter using Alredo Sauce b/c it is Gluten free. And then I top it with OnYums. I can't stand the smell and literally fight an ever-growing gag-reflex when mixing it up, but she loves the stuff. Gross, imo.

But the older I get, the more allergies that develop. I now carry an epi pen when I travel (though I rely on just allergy pills when at home).

Laura, I don't think you should EVER be without allergy meds. Down a couple long-term ones the next time you go for a walk!

edit: Actually I think it is funyums that I use on top of the green bean casserole. Something like that.
    Last edited by kaydee; December 26th, 2018 at 02:39 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are okay.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sweet potato/yam casserole is loaded with pecans. Just saying

13. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

In this neighborhood, almost everyone puts pecans in the yams. It seems to be a southern thing.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.