Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Gentle reminder that may save a life!

Those canned "onion rings" have GOT to be the nastiest thing ever put in a can!
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad that you are ok.

DH has a lot of food allergies. While most of the family knows, DIL often brought dessert that contained hazelnuts or walnuts. Now I ask. Now she asks which nuts he can't eat. I have considered making a business card size listing all his allergies, in English & French. If we ever travel abroad, I would ensure it also is in Italian, Spanish and German. I know the Alaskan cruise we wnt on, they asked for all his allergies long before we started on our trip. He also has Benadryl with him, as do I in case he misplaces his.

My son-in-law & grandson also have food allergies, as do some of our friends. I now list those on recipe cards when I am preparing and planning meals. Now don't me going on other special food choices, vegan, picky eaters. Haha.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My family's recipe for sweet potatoes has walnuts and apricots.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

4. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My oldest daughter had a "friend" in high school that thought she would be funny and used almond flour in brownies she baked special for Emily. When Emily's throat started swelling shut the girl panicked and wouldn't take her to the hospital. Luckily Emily's boyfriend came and got her and the ER got her breathing again. That's when she learned to carry her meds and not trust "friends". The other girl got a firm talking to and an ER bill to pay. Isn't it strange the things we think are funny when we are young and know everything?
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's astounding how people think they're being "funny." My daughter has a friend with such severe allergies that she ends up in the hospital every few weeks. She went grocery shopping one day, and had her groceries all unloaded onto the check-out counter. She then realized that the man behind her in line had taken a bag of peanut-rich granola out of his cart and was about to open it. I guess he needed a snack.

She turned to him and politely said, "I'm sorry. I have a severe peanut allergy. Would you mind waiting until I'm gone before you open that?"

The man held up the granola to ceremoniously open it in her face.

This young mother had to turn to the check-out clerk and apologize, grab her two small children, and run.

I hope the store made that man pay for the groceries she had to leave behind!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Laura, I'm so glad you are ok. I'm fortunate not to have any food allergies, but I am highly sensitive to bee & wasp stings so I keep Benadryl in the house, in the car, and in my office desk drawer.

I'm like a lot of the others, nuts in the candied yams, as well as the stuffing (no one in my family has food allergies). BUT any pot luck dish I bring to a party is absolutely nut free as well as dairy free.

GuitarGramma, I never heard of such a severe allergy as your daughter's friend has, that even being in close proximity to nuts puts her at risk, Good info to know. As for the man in line, well I think the store should have kicked him and his nuts out of the store (and I don't mean the ones in the granola bar ).

8. Thanks MSN, GuitarGramma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    Laura, I'm so glad you are ok. I'm fortunate not to have any food allergies, but I am highly sensitive to bee & wasp stings so I keep Benadryl in the house, in the car, and in my office desk drawer.

I'm like a lot of the others, nuts in the candied yams, as well as the stuffing (no one in my family has food allergies). BUT any pot luck dish I bring to a party is absolutely nut free as well as dairy free.

GuitarGramma, I never heard of such a severe allergy as your daughter's friend has, that even being in close proximity to nuts puts her at risk, Good info to know. As for the man in line, well I think the store should have kicked him and his nuts out of the store (and I don't mean the ones in the granola bar ).
    We actually know three people who are that sensitive to peanuts. One was my next-door neighbor for six years. She came over for a chat one morning; I'd cleared the breakfast dishes but hadn't wiped the table. After a few minutes she said, "Your kids had peanut butter for breakfast, didn't they?" Her fingers were breaking out in blisters just from sitting at my kitchen table.

Love your idea about the grocery-line guy!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't some airlines now not serving those packaged nuts for snacks due to folks having allergies? At our Bible study group, we had a lady with asthma who was very sensitive to perfumes & fragrances. She asked the ladies in our discussion group to please not wear scented products. (Some of the fabric softener scents are worse than some perfumes!) They also designated an area of the sanctuary that was to be fragrance free. Just last Sun. there was a lady at my church who was fine when she came to church, but was beginning to have problems because someone sat close to her wearing perfume. She had to leave the sanctuary & go out into the foyer & watch the service on the screen. People with asthma & reactive airway disease can get into breathing difficulties very quickly when exposed to perfumes & fragrances.

The insensitivity of the man in the grocery check out line is appalling! Some people just don't "get it!"

11. Thanks GuitarGramma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that you are okay.
    I do know of a few people who have the highly sensitive allergies than even just the smell of the allergy can cause them to have a reaction. One of the hardest parts is the ever changing list of ingredients - one time the food product is safe, then next time you go to the store, the food product ingredients has changed and the food is off limits.
    One of my friends has such a highly limited list of safe foods that she just takes her food whenever she goes anywhere and she has became very creative in the kitchen with the foods that she can have. Her breakfast smelled amazing the other day.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntstuff View Post
    In this neighborhood, almost everyone puts pecans in the yams. It seems to be a southern thing.
    Naw, I'm in Minnesota. I think it's more of a brown sugar thing. Nuts and brown sugar seem to hang out together.

I've had people tell me I should just take an allergy pill and eat the things to which I am allergic. Well, the allergy pill helps with the swelling in my mouth/ears/throat, but it doesn't seem to do a darn thing for the stomach issues the allergans cause. Why would I purposefully eat something my body immediately wants to expel?

As far as expecting people/places to list allergans in food, I wouldn't even try. I don't know all the foods in the world to which people are allergic. If I provide a list of the ingredients which I know cause problems, and someone gets ill because I didn't list their specific allergan, I could see someone trying to sue me because they "relied" on my list. I'd prefer people just ask me if their allergan is in any of the food. People (like me) who have allergies need to take the responsibility to make sure they are eating safe food.

Laura, with friends like hers, your poor daughter needs to carry an epi pen and have 911 on speed dial on her phone.

14. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post