Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rotating Cutting Mats?

I have a square Fiskars rotating mat that I've used once or twice; now it sits in my closet. I wonder if you could get the same benefit out of having a smaller regular cutting mat on top of your big one? Seems like that would rotate around pretty easily.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Unicorn View Post
    I have a square Fiskars rotating mat that I've used once or twice; now it sits in my closet. I wonder if you could get the same benefit out of having a smaller regular cutting mat on top of your big one? Seems like that would rotate around pretty easily.
    I did precisely that for many years. I wanted a 12x12" square mat, and found out that those are only made as rotating mats—with a hefty price tag. One day at Joann's, I decided to see if the scrapbooking section might have something I could use. Bingo! I bought a shocking pink X-Acto 12x12" self-healing mat. It feels a bit squishier than a typical rotary cutting mat, but it served me well for many years while I saved up for a Martelli.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

3. Thanks Star lover, The_Last_Unicorn thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone. Lots of good ideas here. How do you find out when the Martello mats are on sale? I like the mat on a lazy susan or on top of another mat idea too.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Have just been to Amazon and purchased a metal, 6" square, ball bearing turntable mechanism; will screw MDF boards to both sides; glue a cutting mat to one of those boards and a non slip surface to the other. Already have the mat. Ball bearing mechanism cost $3.30. My husband already has a sheet of 1/4" MDF in his work shop so the cost of the mechanism is the cost of the whole rotating mat.

Not trying to put anyone out of business but in England quilting supplies are so much more expensive than in the US so many quilters have become DIY experts which it comes to gadgets.
    Last edited by NancyR; January 1st, 2019 at 11:04 AM.
    Life isn't measured by the breaths that you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

6. Thanks Star lover, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NancyR View Post
    Have just been to Amazon and purchased a metal, 6" square, ball bearing turntable mechanism; will screw MDF boards to both sides; glue a cutting mat to one of those boards and a non slip surface to the other. Already have the mat. Ball bearing mechanism cost $3.30. My husband already has a sheet of 1/4" MDF in his work shop so the cost of the mechanism is the cost of the whole rotating mat.

Not trying to put anyone out of business but in England quilting supplies are so much more expensive than in the US so many quilters have become DIY experts which it comes to gadgets.
    Brilliant solution!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have the square ones and I have the Martelli. I use the square ones all the time. The Martelli likes to swivel as I am cutting. Might just be me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Martelli, I like how freely it spins, but the surface is harder than other mats and I don't like that, I like that I can keep it close for cutting and pressing as I go.

I had a 12inch olfa and I went to the 18 inch. The 18 inch doesn't spin freely.. it drags and that's a drag for me. I like the 12 inch but I want something bigger.

I am still looking for the perfect rotating mat.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sydneybean View Post
    I have the square ones and I have the Martelli. I use the square ones all the time. The Martelli likes to swivel as I am cutting. Might just be me.
    Yes that too.. it doesn't want to stay still when I cut. Moves too freely me thinks.

11. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 12" Olfa, and love it for small piecing. Easy to center stuff and draw diagonal lines on fabric.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I'm another "lazy susan" person! I bought a cheap pine lazy susan from Aldi and I put one of my smaller mats on it. Works brilliantly...and I was so impressed with my improvisation I rewarded myself with a rather expensive, indulgent, lovely ruler purchase!!!

14. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post