• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LauraP
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2015

IT COSTS HOW MUCH?????????

Just read the email from M* and saw that Jenny is going to be in Phoenix. So I thought since I was close I could go but then I checked the ticket price. Sticker shock!!!!! $75 for a one day trunk show! I would rather save my money for a trip to Hamilton when I get back to Kansas.
    sigpic
  • GuitarGramma
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2012

Re: IT COSTS HOW MUCH?????????

Wow. I recognize that it's the LQS, not Jenny, that sets the entrance fee. But wow!
    Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Caroline T.
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2016

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
      Wow. I recognize that it's the LQS, not Jenny, that sets the entrance fee. But wow!
      The LQS may set the fee, but in part that fee is to cover the cost of : Jenny's fee as well as her travel, hotel, transportation, and food. It also covers the LQS's expenses to host these events (advertising, extra staff, venue, refreshments, etc....).

Obviously the more popular the Speaker is, the higher the fee. For Jenny, I'd pay that (and maybe even more)! I'd love it if she came to my town!

Comment

• GuitarGramma
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
        The LQS may set the fee, but in part that fee is to cover the cost of : Jenny's fee as well as her travel, hotel, transportation, and food. It also covers the LQS's expenses to host these events (advertising, extra staff, venue, refreshments, etc....).

Obviously the more popular the Speaker is, the higher the fee. For Jenny, I'd pay that (and maybe even more)! I'd love it if she came to my town!
        I hear you. It's just that I've seen other LQS shops charge a whole lot less for Jenny's trunk show presentations, more like $30-$40.
        Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Judy, USMC
          Missouri Star
          • May 2013

I think it depends on the size of the venue. Paid around $22. when she came to Jacksonville, NC. Local Guild hosted and held it in the local high school theater that held a bit shy of 300. As the number of seats goes down the price will go up, I'm sure. Perhaps this will be in a more intimate setting. Wonder how many tickets are available.

Comment

• JCY
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2013

I think $75. for an all day quilting event is reasonable, esp. considering the popularity of a well known speaker. When Karen McTavish came to our guild last year, her 4 hr. LA quilting class was $100, which I thought was high. I paid $75. for Angela Walters' FMQ class, which was all day. It was well worth it. Ricky Tims is another high priced speaker.

Comment

• Jean Marie
              Applique Angel
              • Mar 2014

The last time Jenny was in Phoenix I paid $50. Which I thought was reasonable. I see this one is at a much larger venue and it says you get a bag stuffed with merchandise, so I suppose it's about the same. Also this isn't at a LQS this time.
              Last edited by Jean Marie; December 21, 2018, 06:53 PM.
              :icon_rolleyes:

Comment

• dwil23
                Missouri Star
                • May 2012

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                I think $75. for an all day quilting event is reasonable, esp. considering the popularity of a well known speaker. When Karen McTavish came to our guild last year, her 4 hr. LA quilting class was $100, which I thought was high. I paid $75. for Angela Walters' FMQ class, which was all day. It was well worth it. Ricky Tims is another high priced speaker.
                Probably not all day since it says Trunk Show. We went to her Trunk show several years ago and it lasted 2-3 hours total. It was held in a hotel banquet room, probably 150-200 people. We paid $50 each and felt it was worthwhile, but I do understand how that seems pricey.
                Donna

Comment

• grammaterry
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2015

I know I'm living in the past but my financial status would not allow me to spend much at all for an event. I price out some things and have to pass. My life is good...I have very few hero s ...and no regrets. Going to a movie for $7 is an event for me that I can count on my fingers in my adult life. Costs are just what your priorities are. When I had the restaurant, I thought my meals were worth $20, but I can't afford (or I should say, I don't want to afford) to go out to a restaurant and pay that for a meal. DH and I are bare bones in our spending but there is nothing we need and God has blessed us.
                  So, if you want to go and you can afford it and its something that makes you happy...by all means... If I were the celebrity I would certainly feel that my salary (fee) was justified.
                  success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                  Terry of NC

Comment

• Suzette
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2012

I have met Jenny (in Atlanta several years ago at a quilt show) and it was awesome! But that $75 would buy lots of awesome fabric from M*!
                    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                      Missouri Star
                      • Aug 2015

I was pleased that I was able to see her when I went to M* this summer. The cost was $25. She did say that now when she travels, it must include her DH costs. He is a big part of the trunk show. I would see her again. She is funny, inspiring and truly a grateful and humble person. You will laugh and cry.

Earlier this year, Jenny came to Canada, about an hour away, it was $150CDN for trunk show and meet & greet (3hrs). I did not go see her then as I had conflict on time.

I did go see Tula Pink' s trunk Show and Meet & Greet in March. It was also $150CDN. I know I could have bought a lot of fabric, but I don't spend money on movies or other events, so I splurged. She did not disappoint. She also signed my quilt made with her line of fabric. Now I can't give it away.

I did meet Lynn Hagmeier this summer at her shop when I went to Bennington, KS. No charge. Lots of photos. I did leave with a lot of beautiful fabrics. So that was my cost.

I would like to go back to M* with DH, and also visit Angela Walters shop in MO.
                      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Deegles
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2014

I hear ya. I wanted to go see her trunk show, and decided against it because of the price and the drive. It still gets me how much people spend to travel to hamilton, and then go to retreats that cost thousands. When you can stay home and sew for free.
                        Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• JulieC
                          Missouri Star
                          • Dec 2016

If Jenny came to my area, I would pay the $75. Much cheaper than a trip to Hamilton!

Comment

• auntiemern
                            Missouri Star
                            • Mar 2012

I think that cost of ALL M* events has gone up in the past 2 years or so. As they have grown, so have their prices. That being said....Ron has always traveled with her as part of her trunk show. That has been the deal since the beginning. She won't travel without him.
                            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X