Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default IT COSTS HOW MUCH?????????

Just read the email from M* and saw that Jenny is going to be in Phoenix. So I thought since I was close I could go but then I checked the ticket price. Sticker shock!!!!! $75 for a one day trunk show! I would rather save my money for a trip to Hamilton when I get back to Kansas.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: IT COSTS HOW MUCH?????????

Wow. I recognize that it's the LQS, not Jenny, that sets the entrance fee. But wow!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    Wow. I recognize that it's the LQS, not Jenny, that sets the entrance fee. But wow!
    The LQS may set the fee, but in part that fee is to cover the cost of : Jenny's fee as well as her travel, hotel, transportation, and food. It also covers the LQS's expenses to host these events (advertising, extra staff, venue, refreshments, etc....).

Obviously the more popular the Speaker is, the higher the fee. For Jenny, I'd pay that (and maybe even more)! I'd love it if she came to my town!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    The LQS may set the fee, but in part that fee is to cover the cost of : Jenny's fee as well as her travel, hotel, transportation, and food. It also covers the LQS's expenses to host these events (advertising, extra staff, venue, refreshments, etc....).

Obviously the more popular the Speaker is, the higher the fee. For Jenny, I'd pay that (and maybe even more)! I'd love it if she came to my town!
    I hear you. It's just that I've seen other LQS shops charge a whole lot less for Jenny's trunk show presentations, more like $30-$40.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the size of the venue. Paid around $22. when she came to Jacksonville, NC. Local Guild hosted and held it in the local high school theater that held a bit shy of 300. As the number of seats goes down the price will go up, I'm sure. Perhaps this will be in a more intimate setting. Wonder how many tickets are available.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think $75. for an all day quilting event is reasonable, esp. considering the popularity of a well known speaker. When Karen McTavish came to our guild last year, her 4 hr. LA quilting class was $100, which I thought was high. I paid $75. for Angela Walters' FMQ class, which was all day. It was well worth it. Ricky Tims is another high priced speaker.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

The last time Jenny was in Phoenix I paid $50. Which I thought was reasonable. I see this one is at a much larger venue and it says you get a bag stuffed with merchandise, so I suppose it's about the same. Also this isn't at a LQS this time.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; December 21st, 2018 at 10:53 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    I think $75. for an all day quilting event is reasonable, esp. considering the popularity of a well known speaker. When Karen McTavish came to our guild last year, her 4 hr. LA quilting class was $100, which I thought was high. I paid $75. for Angela Walters' FMQ class, which was all day. It was well worth it. Ricky Tims is another high priced speaker.
    Probably not all day since it says Trunk Show. We went to her Trunk show several years ago and it lasted 2-3 hours total. It was held in a hotel banquet room, probably 150-200 people. We paid $50 each and felt it was worthwhile, but I do understand how that seems pricey.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm living in the past but my financial status would not allow me to spend much at all for an event. I price out some things and have to pass. My life is good...I have very few hero s ...and no regrets. Going to a movie for $7 is an event for me that I can count on my fingers in my adult life. Costs are just what your priorities are. When I had the restaurant, I thought my meals were worth $20, but I can't afford (or I should say, I don't want to afford) to go out to a restaurant and pay that for a meal. DH and I are bare bones in our spending but there is nothing we need and God has blessed us.
    So, if you want to go and you can afford it and its something that makes you happy...by all means... If I were the celebrity I would certainly feel that my salary (fee) was justified.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have met Jenny (in Atlanta several years ago at a quilt show) and it was awesome! But that $75 would buy lots of awesome fabric from M*!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

13. Thanks Marty thanked for this post