Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default A OH NO, no no no :( - Whew Thank Goodness moment

I keep an excel spreadsheet of all the quilts have I completed and in progress (by year) for the past 4 years.
    I keep this excel file (and a lot of others related to quilting) on a thumb drive thankfully since my home computer died a few weeks ago and all info on the computer was lost (nothing major thankfully)

Yesterday, I went to update the spreadsheet (on the thumb drive) with a few recent completions and updates, only to find the file was corrupt and I was unable to retrieve it. I wanted to cry, how in the world would I ever recreate all that info? OH NO NO NO NO

Then this morning as I was getting ready to leave for work, I remembered a folder of papers in my studio that included printed out pictures of most of my completed quilts, with some detail descriptions included. Well, at least that would be a good starting point. So I dashed into the studio and grabbed the folder and headed to the office.

I finally had time today to work on recreating my spreadsheet:, opened the folder, and low and behold under the pictures was a printed copy of the ENTIRE worksheet thru July of this year! Thank Goodness ... doing the Happy Dance!

Lesson learned, don't rely solely on technology, good ol' fashion paper copy is a great thing to have!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A OH NO, no no no :( - Whew Thank Goodness moment

I'm so glad you had a back up!

I've been lousy at keeping records of what I've done this year. I'll have to do better next year.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank goodness. My computer is my auxiliary brain. If I lose those files I would be sunk.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Makes my heart pound just thinking about it. I'm glad that you were able to get some of your info back.
    I lost some data several years ago and could never retrieve it. I lost hundreds of family recipes that were generations old. Now I have a Mac with a permanent back up drive and I transfer the data to a Windows computer. I back up the Windows setup every month and have all my docs and Pictures on two separate external drives. Call me paranoid...but your're right about getting hard copies.....maybe tomorrow I'll get that done.

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Whew! I'm glad that you have not lost it all. For the quilts I make, my DD bought me a record book when I first started quilting. I keep it in my sewing room and update it as I go along. I also add snippets or selvedges from the fabrics used. It would be lost in a flood or fire, but that would be the least of my worries if that happened.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

7. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had one of those little cards in one of the picture frames that scrolls thru all the photos. Well, everything got wipe out! It was filled with pictures of my 50th birthday trip to NYC!! MM, being the computer guru that he is, did some research and found a program and was able to get all those photos back! They normally are still there, even when it says they are not...you just have to know the inside tricks to get them to show up again.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Oooo, my goodness my heart goes out to you. What an awful thing to happen.

After reading the sewing machine book by n.fergie, which got me thinking, printed off all sewing project pictures, made notes and made a photo album, makes me smile thinking who made gifts for, remembering the sewing journey. One quilt has all fabrics in used so far in sewing journey so memories are in photo and quilt form. That quilt keeps me warm sends me to sleep on sofa before manage to get a photo, so funny.

Hope you can manage to make a new sewing journey memory journal, with your records.
    Last edited by 201 Treadler; December 21st, 2018 at 12:49 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Bubba, where were you and MM when I needed you? I too had one of those picture frames and lost the pictures. Glad MM was able to get yours back for you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thankful all worked out......such a relief! I keep reotds both in excel and on paper in a binder. Works for me......ya just never know.....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my bank stuff in a spread sheet and also had thumb drive go stupid on me, so now after I update with bills paid and such I always email myself a copy of the file and I can get to my email account from any computer if mine goes down.