Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Hellos

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday Hellos

Hopefully there won't be a second thread started.

The weather is better today. Yesterday, there was rain, grizzle, snow, and quite treacherous on the roads. I had the service yesterday morning to attend for my daughter's best friend dad. It was packed. This is the same funeral home where my mom has made her arrangements. She was anxious to hear all about it. She very much wants to have her funeral her way. She was pleased with the additions they have made, and said that will do nicely. Isn't she hilarious. She was in better spirits yesterday, but I am her only visitor. It's up and down.

Today, DH & I will drive to country LQS to pick up my order of large spools of Glide thread. I will try to not be tempted by more fabric. It's so hard, she offers Guild members 20% off purchases, and her prices already beat either LQS. She carries almost all the Nortcott fabrics.

I hope to get the xmas cards out today, maybe wrap the few gifts we have for the kids & GKs. We. Lastly give them money to get what they want. We're hoping to make sugar cookies tomorrow.

Have a good day. Enjoy your visit with your son, Joy. Have a dry, safe and warm day.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

2. Thanks Star lover, baslp thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Saturday Hellos

Good morning, Suzanne, and all who follow --

Funeral planning must be in the air. I asked my Texas sister to help pre-plan our mother's memorial / celebration of life. Mom told our Ohio sister that our grandmother is calling her, should she go? We figure it's a good idea to start planning now. I'm hoping this will mean fewer arguments when the time comes. I already had to rein her in with the music; she wants all hymns. If we're having a celebration of life, I want some Statler Brothers included -- Mom always loved them!

On a happier note, I'm taking Mom to see her sister again this morning. My aunt enjoys seeing her. Mom was rather confused the last time, I'm hoping she is a little better today. My aunt doesn't mind, though, she is just grateful for the visit. She has such a positive attitude, it is amazing. She was always such a curmudgeon!

No time for the sewing room this weekend. I saw M* has a 4-week wait on quilts. I am tempted to send them one my UFO's, but I would need to sew the backing first.

Have a great weekend!

4. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario, baslp thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone. It's a grey and gloomy day here. But I will be surrounded by colorful Christmas wrapping paper as I start wrapping the gifts we got last night. It was a very successful shopping trip and lots of things got crossed off the list. DH is headed to a hobby store today for a gift for our eldest grandson Max. We gave him a train set a couple of years ago and we add something to it each year. I need to order a few things online and then we are Done!

Julie, I hope your mom and aunt have a wonderful visit today. Suzanne, enjoy your trip to the LQS. Let us know if any fabric jumped in the bag with your thread.

Have a great Saturday everyone.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

6. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario, baslp thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh the joys of being the one in the know. I spent lots of time with my Grandma Mac. She told me everything and apparently told her kids nothing. lol, at least someone knew what she wanted. I about had a fit when the funeral home guy said he was going to go get her wedding band. Oh nooooo you're not! lol, She'd promised to haunt ME if they took that ring off of her finger!

Days gone by. I told my kid, save all the money they could. Cremate me, and then figure out what to do with Howard and my ashes. No point in paying for obituaries, choirs and the like. Keep it simple. Go out and enjoy a meal with whoever shows up and share memories.

Off the morbid and on with the fun. I woke early (took a sudafed last night, bad idea but needed). I worked for about three hours on the kids Christmas story. It's not done but it's coming together. I went back to bed around 7:30 and caught a couple of more hours of sleep.

Jim brought over one of those long skinny legged starfish that his MIL and FIL brought back for them from their 25th anniversary cruise. He wants it to be the top star for his Christmas tree. That one buffaloed me. He picked up a three pack of card holders for floral arrangements. It is clear, thin plastic, so I debated hot glue or E6000. I decided on the E6000. I let the pick dry and when I picked it up, it was so flimsy feeling. Not to be defeated, I had some small wooden dowels. I wrapped the dowel in floral tape, then wired the dowel to the pick. After that, I wrapped it all again in floral tape. It's pretty sturdy. Then I put more E6000 in the middle of the pick. I don't think it will come apart now!

Jim has 1/2 dozen smaller starfish that he wants small clips glued on. I guess I'll have to find some more clips. I used all of the ones I had.

I've been in contact with FQS. I ordered one of their flash sale items- the little clips. Apparently the post office lost them, because the label was created, but no record of it being picked up. They're sending another set crossing my fingers they'll get here soon. Seems like I've been having bad luck with my orders I made on that Sunday.

I guess it's time to get busy but there won't be any fudge making today from the looks of it.

Prayers for those in need for healing, strength, comfort, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

8. Thanks Star lover, baslp thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning. Light rain here. It is suppose to be a mild day here. Thank goodness our dental practice is now open for a bit on Saturdays. The tooth where I have a temp crown is not happy. I guess he can test it to see if I need to go see another doc for a root canal.
    We had a noice dinner with our friends. My DH takes our springer to the nose work class, so I do not get to see everyone very often.

I have told my family when I pass away just keep it simple. I want to be put in the ground.

On that note— Everyone have a nice and productive day.

Beth

10. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those of you who want the arrangements to be minimal. Here in NC you do not have to be embalmed to be buried. We have purchased one cremation and who ever goes first will just be buried here on the farm and the other will be cremated so as to avoid leaving these expenses to the children.
    Finished wrapping the homemade gifts yesterday. My small gift to DH came usps yesterday and he picked up the mail. He said I make him feel guilty if he doesn't buy me a gift. I know its hard for him to shop for me as it is for me as we need nothing. However, I just think everyone, young or old, should have a surprise under the tree on Christmas Morning. I told him he could order me a box of prewound bobbins but he said he wasn't going to do that, I could get my own bobbins. I hate him being such a bah humbug!
    Its 50 degrees out there today. Raining but who cares as long as its not freezing .

12. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My sister is in hospice care after battling metastatic brain cancer the last few years. At one point she was even declared cancer free. That lasted all of four months, then it came back with a vengeance. Services are for the living, not the deceased is my belief, nor do I believe in the outrageous cost of those services. A simple gathering of friends and family to share memories is the best way to honor someone. My other sister and I, along with Sherry’s consent, have chosen to have some of her ashes made into a blown glass orb for each of the family members. She says that way she can be with all of us. OK, this is getting depressing. Hope everyone has a very good day.

14. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone...

It is still raining here and we need to start building an ark if it doesn't stop.

Death doesn't always happen in chronological order, so whichever one of us passes first that person will be cremated. The other one will be buried along with the first set of ashes. This way if the surviving spouse moves the ashes of the first to pass could be taken along so the remains of both could still be together. I like services to be simple and joyful....a celebration of life. I attended a funeral a few months ago for a lady who had been a quilter. Several of her quilts were on display on the backs of some of the pews. One was folded and draped over part of the casket. Nice touch I thought at the time.

Okay, off to plan something for our dinner. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday everyone.

16. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was going to say good morning but just noticed it is afternoon. I have n I think made any plans f I r my funeral yet. Hopefully that is 20+years away, and hey I won't be around, so I don't care. Anyway, back to the present. Still working on niece'so quilt. Met my fellow walkers this morning. The 8 miles started earlier than me, so I was by myself until I met them on the trail. Shoemaker texted boots were ready, so I picked them up and had him put some plastic heel taps on 2 more pairs. I should be set for the rest of the year. Waiting on DD as DGD to get here so we can go get cookies with Santa at the clubhouse. Weather is beautiful today, in the 50-60 range.
    Need to go do something with my hair, so hoping everybody has a great day!

18. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Afternoon, Everyone ~ Just now getting here. Another busy morning working along with DS. This is his last day, so we're working to complete the to-do list. It's not warming up very fast today & we have cloud cover. It's only 46 deg. so far. This a.m. DS got out the chain saw & cut off 2 tree limbs from our honey locust tree. I've been looking at them for 2 yrs. at least. Glad they are off of there. It took awhile to cut up the limb, use the loppers to cut up the smaller branches, & put everything in the garbage toter.

The next job was for DS to go up on the roof, give it a good looking over, & clean out the gutters. A couple of the downspouts were clogged. He used the leaf blower. Also cleaned out some of the gravel that had sloughed off the shingles -- probably during those 2 hail storms we had in the spring & early summer. He dabbed some roofing tar in 2 or 3 spots that needed it. He's eaten lunch & is back outside waxing the other car. He washed it early this a.m. prior to the tree limb project. The other small project he needs to do is touch up the house paint. Yest. p.m. he removed some old & cracking caulk & re-caulked that area where the integrity of the wood was compromised. Our whole house needs to be re-painted next year. DS plans to have supper & spend the eve. with his HS bubby, so he'll be gone all eve. He needs to leave the house at 7:30 in the a.m. to head to the airport, return his car rental, & get checked in.

I'm looking forward to being able to do some sewing soon.

20. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post