Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Apple Pie to freeze

I have enough to make 2 apple pies. My pie crusts are from scratch. There's no way I can eat them both before Christmas so I want to freeze one.

I forgot the best way to do that. At what point do I bake them and will they freeze well?

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Apple Pie to freeze

Freeze your pie unbaked, wrapped well with foil and then a ziplock bag. You can bake it frozen.

3. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ah Ha! Good! That's on my agenda as soon as I wake up from my nap!! I got all Christmas presents I was due to get done before the Holiday done this morning. I deserve my my nap :-)!!!

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I seldom bake pies -- usually buy them these days. I freeze them in 1 serving sizes so I can take out 1 pc. at a time, zap it in the MW & have a treat. If it were me, I'd bake them before freezing, cut them up into 1 serving portions, & freeze.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    I seldom bake pies -- usually buy them these days. I freeze them in 1 serving sizes so I can take out 1 pc. at a time, zap it in the MW & have a treat. If it were me, I'd bake them before freezing, cut them up into 1 serving portions, & freeze.
    That's what I was thinking. We had a trick at the hotel to turn a pie upside down to cut it, after it's cold of course. lol. It cuts really cleanly, especially smaller cuts.

Lorie

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I find the best way is to bake them fresh and then freeze them and when you take them out of the freezer, pop them in the oven and bake them again with foil over the top. They taste like fresh and the house smells so good. Even pumpkin pie works this way.

10. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I find the best way is to bake them fresh and then freeze them and when you take them out of the freezer, pop them in the oven and bake them again with foil over the top. They taste like fresh and the house smells so good. Even pumpkin pie works this way.
    My girlfriend does that but the bottom crust is soggy. How can she remedy that?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that she didn't bake it though the first time , but it could be a number of things...like is she putting it in a frost free freezer. That would cause ice crystals to form under the crust and when they melt it would get soggy. Also, when putting the foil on the top , that would be for the pumpkin pie...not the apple. That would cause condensation...again too moist
    Maybe she isn't putting it in a hot enough oven or maybe she is putting it on a thick baking sheet that the air can't get around. Oh, the chemistry of baking. What one oven can do, another can't (ask me how I know this)
    I have shared my yeast bread recipe so many times and had the person come back and say I must have left some instruction out because theirs didn't work. Well, its like quilting...practice, practice, practice and then sometimes It still won't work.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

"Well, its like quilting...practice, practice, practice and then sometimes It still won't work."

So true, with pies and Life!

14. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post