Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help, with ham drying out??

Trying to plan ahead for Christmas dinner. I want to serve ham, but will have to keep it warm for a while--kids coming at different times. It is fully cooked already and I just want to keep it hot. I was thinking I could use a crock pot, but that method has had some drying out before== probably operator error. Can anyone help me? It has a bone and I was going to have dh cut it off the bone early in the day, or is that a bad idea. You'd think after 50 years I'd be able to figure this out. Thanks for helping me.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help, with ham drying out??

I'm not the expert on hams, but my MIL wraps hers up with foil and puts it in the oven to reheat. She adds water to the pan once it's in the oven. She doesn't take it off the bone until she serves it and more recently she doesn't buy bone in hams because it's hard for her to carve it.

I usually start like she does, about the last half hour I open it up and brush the ham with a thick mixture of orange juice, mustard and brown sugar.

As for serving at different times, I'd cut what I need and wrap the rest back up keeping it whole as long as possible and sitting in the juices.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

DH cooks our ham, but it's a boneless. The cooks it on low and slow all day, brushing it with his glaze of pineapple juice, cinnamon, clove, grainy Dijon mustard and regular mustard, nutmeg, brown sugar. Sometimes he adds maple syrup. He covers it with foil after an hour and it cooks slow. He carves it just before serving. That way it keeps moist.

This year I bought a ham with bone-in. I will cook it the same way as DH, but to keep warm, I may add some water to the pan, until ready to serve. I found the spiral cut hams dry out too soon, and the slices are too thin.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Our neighbors sent us a beautiful ham last week from a well known steak/beef company. It was packed in a cooler with dry ice but it's thawed now. A booklet came with it and it recommends wrapping it in foil and cooking it at 350 just to warm it all the way through and opening the foil and adding the glaze. If you need to keep the ham warm for a while, I would loosely cover it with foil and make sure there is some liquid in the bottom of the pan. We will never eat this much ham, so a lot of it will go into the freezer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Put the ham in a pan and tent it with foil. The fat will render to thebottom of the pan and keep plenty of moisture. Cook it at about 250 degrees slowly. You could lay apple slices over the top. If it is a whole ham or a half ham cook it fat side up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    DH cooks our ham, but it's a boneless. The cooks it on low and slow all day, brushing it with his glaze of pineapple juice, cinnamon, clove, grainy Dijon mustard and regular mustard, nutmeg, brown sugar. Sometimes he adds maple syrup. He covers it with foil after an hour and it cooks slow. He carves it just before serving. That way it keeps moist.

This year I bought a ham with bone-in. I will cook it the same way as DH, but to keep warm, I may add some water to the pan, until ready to serve. I found the spiral cut hams dry out too soon, and the slices are too thin.
    spiral cut hams need to be placed with the flat side down or else the slices fan open and the whole thing dries out. ask me how i know.

8. Thanks TMP thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, my, Thanks for all the informative answers. I don't know why I didn't even Think of using foil. My brain must be overloaded more than I know. After the meal I'll come back and let everyone know what worked.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I have been wondering how to keep the spiral cut hams from drying out. I never thought to put the flat side down but that really makes sense. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    spiral cut hams need to be placed with the flat side down or else the slices fan open and the whole thing dries out. ask me how i know.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Chelea! I have one in the frig to cook. I didn't get to it for the holidays.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Honey!
    Honey always keeps pork more tender!
    Happy Quilting!