Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have you made Christmas Crack Candy?

It's the recipe using saltines and covering them with caramel sauce and chocolate chips. Anyone ever make it with Ritz crackers? Frankly I no longer like Ritz crackers, the taste has changed and the crackers fall apart before you can eat them. I have 2 boxes of them just taking up room in the pantry closet so this might be a good way to use them.

Looking in the pantry I spied some boxes of graham crackers, they might also be tasty as a crack candy. They would remind me of the chocolate covered grahams we had in school with our milk. In grammar school I was the Cookie Girl and went from classroom to classroom selling cookies and big long pretzels to the kids and by the time I got back to my classroom my milk was warm. No wonder I don't drink milk but I do eat cookies.
    Last edited by MissMay in Jersey; December 11th, 2018 at 11:02 AM.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Have you made Christmas Crack Candy?

Ritz makes a great casserole topper mixed with butter and crumbled.
    Haven't made the candy but thought you might like another option.

4. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No but I totally agree with you about the crackers breaking! I switched to Town House they taste similar and not so crumbly. Cause when I want cheese and crackers I don't want a handful of crumbs at the first bite!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

not with ritz but I have used townhouse-a better fit in the pan than the round ritz. I have seen ritz used on a few sites for this candy. I have used graham crackers, too. makes a tasty candy
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ritz would do well in Crack Candy. The graham crackers would add more sweetness to an already very sweet treat.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

So true about Ritz crackers nowadays and I really liked them since childhood. Besides cheese and crackers and crumbling some in our soup my brother Jim and I would crumble them into our soft boiled eggs. Really killed the slimy egg texture for us. Made jam and cracker sandwiches for my sister and my 'tea parties'.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others who say that Ritz crackers crumble easy. They never used to. I put the crackers on a plate, add sliced cheddar cheese and nuke them for about 15-20 seconds. Delicious until the cracker crumbles after the first bite. Thought it was just me, but now I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. Never tried the crack candy, but think it sounds delicious. Thanks for posting.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    I think Ritz would do well in Crack Candy. The graham crackers would add more sweetness to an already very sweet treat.
    Barb, You're right the grahams are sweet than the crackers, think I could skip the caramel layer on them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made crack candy and I wouldn't recommend Ritz and probably not graham crackers. The base layer needs to be firm to support the caramel and chocolate layers and I think both of those options would probably be a mess of crumbs before you could get it out of the pan. Let us know how it goes if you do try the other ones.
    Ritz crumbs with melted butter is a delicious topping for any fish.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I have made the Crack Candy with saltines and love it. So good!! If the Ritz you have are crumbly and off tasting, I would not waste the sugar, chocolate, butter, nuts and time by using them. I have heard of the Crack Candy being made with graham crackers but one of the things that make it so tasty is that salty taste from the saltines.
    I too have quit buying Ritz because they are not the crackers they used to be.
    The last ones I bought crumbled and had a weird musty smell and taste and I trashed them. I believe that Nabisco now makes the Ritz and other crackers and cookies in Mexico and that may account for the funny taste and smell. It may be an ingredient thing, process, packaging,transport, don't know, only guessing. But, I now buy only Keebler's crackers, those elves work in USA factories and the taste and smell are what they have always been. Had to switch to Zesta saltines for the same reason, Nabisco saltines had the same odd taste and smell.

13. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post