Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Have you made Christmas Crack Candy?

I made a similar recipe using Saltine crackers once. Boy do they burn easy! I agree with Claire also, they do make a grreat casserole topping mixed with butter. Also add poppy seeds for Poppy seed Chicken casserole.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sister makes this and uses Saltines. They are the best things ever!!! And now I'm hungry for them...
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
    I have made the Crack Candy with saltines and love it. So good!! If the Ritz you have are crumbly and off tasting, I would not waste the sugar, chocolate, butter, nuts and time by using them. I have heard of the Crack Candy being made with graham crackers but one of the things that make it so tasty is that salty taste from the saltines.
    I too have quit buying Ritz because they are not the crackers they used to be.
    The last ones I bought crumbled and had a weird musty smell and taste and I trashed them. I believe that Nabisco now makes the Ritz and other crackers and cookies in Mexico and that may account for the funny taste and smell. It may be an ingredient thing, process, packaging,transport, don't know, only guessing. But, I now buy only Keebler's crackers, those elves work in USA factories and the taste and smell are what they have always been. Had to switch to Zesta saltines for the same reason, Nabisco saltines had the same odd taste and smell.
    Good Advice, maybe the birds will like the Ritz but on second thought the Ritz are going out in the trash.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if the Ritz company is aware of the "off taste and texture" of their crackers now. Sending their long time customers to Keebler??

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Could it be that you are buying the whole wheat kind? My DH was buying whole wheat saltines, Great Value (Walmart) brand, and I kept telling him they tasted and smelled like a metal or a chemical. Finally he tasted it too. It was sure nasty.

Talk of saltines reminds me of a recipe I tried using saltines, butter and ranch dressing mix. It was truly addictive. A person could eat the whole batch in one sitting. I only made it twice; too dangerous!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Townhouse, they have a little sweetness to them. I also
    have used Matzo bread . I like Ritz to just eat.