OK, What's cooking in your house for Christmas Dinner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MissMay in Jersey
    Applique Angel
    • Oct 2018

OK, What's cooking in your house for Christmas Dinner?

I'll be baking a spiral ham and a pineapple casserole as a side dish, DIL & DGD will be bringing side dishes and DS#1 was assigned to bring a dessert. We'll have some cheese and crackers, dip etc. to nibble on and begin the meal with butternut soup. I plan to make the soup a day or two before and heat up to serve in the crock pot. Of course some biscuits but that's easy as family loves those Grands ones by Pillsbury. Been checking supplies of bottled water, soda cider and beer. I'm the only wine drinker and that's already been taken care of, LOL. Hopefully I'll still have lots of Christmas cookies and breads that I've baked the week before.

That Crock pot Mac & Cheese Juliet posted sounds good to serve with the leftover ham when we have friends over for lunch during Christmas week. Ham bone and some ham go into the freezer to make split pea soup some dark and dreary Winter day.
  • Ginny B
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: OK, What's cooking in your house for Christmas Dinner?

I am making lasagna for Christmas Eve. We will be at my son's'. They or my sister will do some chicken dish and sides. Sis usually takes care of dessert although I bring the cookies. Christmas Day is at dh's brother's place in Jersey and I usually just bring a dessert for that.
    Ginny B
    Levittown, NY

Comment

• JulieC
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2016

My sister and I share the cooking, we haven't finalized the menu, yet. We usually have ham because Mom will eat that, and several sides. My sister will make Mom some broccoli, I usually do the sweet potatoes, plus we have rolls, etc. Nothing too extravagant. This year I will make the crock pot mac n cheese instead of my sister microwaving Stouffer's. We usually buy the pie.

My sister will come over one day between Christmas and New Year's and I will make her favorite Captain Crunch Chicken. I only make it once a year because it is labor intensive. We will have to do that for lunch this year while Mom's caregiver is at the house.

Comment

• Monique
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2011

Nothing. Having Christmas dinner at Les' brother's house.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Claire Hallman
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

Our family Christmas celebratin will be the Saturday before and so far all I know we are having is a beef rib roast. Probably some sort of potato and mac 'n cheese so the kids will be sure to eat something.
          Any suggestions for side dishes that are not casseroles, ds doesn't much like casseroles?
          Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Cathy F
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2012

We'll be having a combination of things as there are some who prefer one thing and others another. Prime rib is liked by most of the family. Daughter is making lasagna, I'm doing my Mac n cheese which the grandkids all like, then assorted veggies roasted in the oven. Dessert is cheesecake that I make every year and cookies which I have to start baking.
            Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• Sylvia H
              Missouri Star
              • May 2014

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
              Our family Christmas celebratin will be the Saturday before and so far all I know we are having is a beef rib roast. Probably some sort of potato and mac 'n cheese so the kids will be sure to eat something.
              Any suggestions for side dishes that are not casseroles, ds doesn't much like casseroles?
              I like a combination of potatoes, green beans and corn mixed with lemon butter. It can be served warm or at room temperature. I usually use frozen green beans and corn. Roasted veggies is also a good choice. Roasted asparagus is especially good. Mashed potatoes can be done ahead of time and reheated in a crock pot.
              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• bubba
                Missouri Star
                • Mar 2013

We get together on Christmas Eve. Growing up, my mom always made chili that night, which I also did for several years. Then, I got the bright idea to do a baked potato bar, and that is what we have done for the past several years.

We all bring different toppings......bacon, green onions, cheese, sour cream, olives, mushrooms, chili, etc.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• KPH
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2015

I have no idea. We've been invited to Nana and Nandy's for Christmas Day. Christmas Eve in the church service at 6:30. I've asked Jim and gotten no where. So, I guess it's time to try again to figure it out!

I used to go all out on Christmas Eve then on Christmas Day it was the food's in the refrigerator and there's the microwave. I just don't know what I need to do this year.

Mike wants Brandy Snaps, so I'll make a couple of batches of those. Nobody else has requested anything. I may make a pound cake to take to Nana's for Nandy.
                  Katrina
                  From NC, retired in FL
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

Since I'll just be cooking for myself I bought things I don't normally get but love. So it will be lobster tails and shrimp. maybe with mashed potatoes since that's a comfort food :-). I might make a chocolate cream pie too. They're easy and I love them too.
                    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Anitamae56
                      Missouri Star
                      • Oct 2014

Our big celebration and eats is Christmas Eve, and then they stay home with their on families on Christmas Day. and later that day we go play games at one the kids and snack all evening.
                      I can't remember how long we have done ( at least 50 years) our traditional barbecue brisket, baked beans and potatoe casserole and lots of veggies. cheeses and etc. my son smokes cheeses and it goes over really well. And we eat on it all night until they go home. Carlie, I wish u were close I would love to have you come.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                        Since I'll just be cooking for myself I bought things I don't normally get but love. So it will be lobster tails and shrimp. maybe with mashed potatoes since that's a comfort food :-). I might make a chocolate cream pie too. They're easy and I love them too.
                        I'm with you being by myself. I like your menu! I love lobster and I have crab legs in the freezer. I do have one store that sells slices of pie and cake so I might indulge a little because I never eat them.
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• chelea
                          Missouri Star
                          • Mar 2012

Yum, Carlie. Lobster is my favorite. We're having prime rib, mashed potatoes, green beans lyonnaise. Probably cheesecake for dessert.
                          Michele
                          ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                          To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Anitamae56 View Post
                            Our big celebration and eats is Christmas Eve, and then they stay home with their on families on Christmas Day. and later that day we go play games at one the kids and snack all evening.
                            I can't remember how long we have done ( at least 50 years) our traditional barbecue brisket, baked beans and potatoe casserole and lots of veggies. cheeses and etc. my son smokes cheeses and it goes over really well. And we eat on it all night until they go home. Carlie, I wish u were close I would love to have you come.
                            Awwww, Anitamae aren't you a sweet one!
                            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                              Missouri Star
                              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by chelea View Post
                              Yum, Carlie. Lobster is my favorite. We're having prime rib, mashed potatoes, green beans lyonnaise. Probably cheesecake for dessert.
                              Prime rib is one of my favorites. Use to love making it but now they're really too big to make for one person. Your meal sounds yummy

Comment

Working...
                              X