Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OK, What's cooking in your house for Christmas Dinner?

LOL Terry. When my dh and me went to the movies he always fell asleep. Why did we spend this much for a nap.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On Christmas Eve we use to have an easy supper. I made a homemade round loaf with caraway seeds, then made like a Welsh Rabbit except the liquid was a half a bottle of beer and just a dash of Worcheshire Sauce. You'd cut out the center of the bread and fill it with the Welsh Rabbit. What was cut out you made into large chunks so you could dip it. You'd then tear off the sides of the bread once that was gone. We called it Beer Bread. We'd have it with a nice large salad. Very easy to do and very little clean up. I think if you don't feel like having a major holiday meal for two it's nice. Kind of like a comfort food :-)

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

We used to go to my Mom's, but now that she is celebrating Christmas in heaven, my Hubby and I are by ourselves. We have decided to go ahead and splurge and do a Prime Rib. Not sure on side dishes, but regardless we will like them. Maybe go for a ride in the evening to see lights.

Nancy
    Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

4. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We did lobster for Thanksgiving and will probably have it again for Christmas. My DH is in charge of boiling it so I just do potatoes and we have a bagged salad. I baked a double batch of shortbread tonight so we won't starve for lack of cookies Maybe I'll do another pumpkin pie...I have a new recipe that uses just a little black pepper in it and it is really good!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Christmas Eve my Daughter and her family come over and we wait for Santa to come by on a fire truck then we have a simple meal of steak, potatoes and salad. I put a ham in the oven for the next day. We have been doing the same thing for over 40 years.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimsophia View Post
    We did lobster for Thanksgiving and will probably have it again for Christmas. My DH is in charge of boiling it so I just do potatoes and we have a bagged salad. I baked a double batch of shortbread tonight so we won't starve for lack of cookies Maybe I'll do another pumpkin pie...I have a new recipe that uses just a little black pepper in it and it is really good!
    I recently heard about adding a pinch of black pepper to a pumpkin pie. I'm looking forward to trying it.

8. Thanks kimsophia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Somehow it's worked out over the years that I do Christmas Eve dinner and all the kids go to their in laws for Christmas. So I'm making a huge spread and then left overs for Christmas! Dinner will include smoked Polish kielbasa and kraut, veggies, bread, deviled eggs.....oh I don't know....more stuff. Dessert is always sweet potato pie, an apple/cranberry tart and for the gluten freerers - coconut, chocolate almond candy thingys........I'm gettin hungry!

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Christmas dinner will be at a niece's home. I'm taking home-grown green beans (seasoned with country ham) and corn.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is hosting on 23rd. Her husband will cook the turkey (he wraps it in bacon). I think she will buy the Butterball frozen stuffing. It's pretty good, and I have cheated some years and served it. I will help her prep the veggies and salad.

I will cook the ham, mashed patatoes and sweet patatoes. If I have made sugar cookies & others I will bring bags for everyone.

DIL will bring dessert and wine.

We usually have appetizers, shrimp cocktails, cheese & crackers and vegetables & dip for the kids. This year will be different, as we are not hosting, first time since Michael & 8 are together 14 years. First time I haven't hosted in 40 years.

Xmas eve, we have appetizers, mussels, shrimps, pates and cheeses, dips. Xmas day I may cook a roast beef as it will be us and a friend.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I think a turkey breast/w gravy, sweet potatos, a side salad and an apple tart tatin. I did come upon another tart you might want to try. It's with shallots. Since they are sweet it would make a nice side. I love cooked onions.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ot+tarte+tatin

I might just make tacos. lol

Thanks, Lorie. Why don't you come to our house and I'll cook that meal for you. I'll even try the Tart Tatin for you. Love your new avatar! So cute.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon