Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Smile How Do YOu Charge for a Handmade Item?

I know this is an age-old question but recently I was offered the opportunity to sew American Girl doll clothing for someone who remakes and rescues AG dolls. Her work is beautiful and I'd like to help her out as she suffers from severe health problems and really needs some help. She is not a close friend so it would be a business deal but HOW DO I DETERMINE FAIRLY what price to charge for my outfits? I mean really, how do I set the price--by hour, by cost of materials, by difficulty of pattern, etc. Any suggestions and pointers would be so appreciated by me. I also have another friend who is sewing for her and needs the same help. Thanks in advance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Do YOu Charge for a Handmade Item?

I never made doll clothes but I would guess by the outfit. Maybe $25 per outfit? I am not sure people would pay more than that, in spite of the time it might take. Hope others come by and give their opinion on this for you! Good luck.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I usually do such things for 3X actual cost.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would look up on Ebay and Etsy to see what the going price is first. Then what I did was when I was sewing little girls dresses I took the cost of supplies and multiplied it by three. I don't know if that's the best way though. I was told that from sewers on another forum.

Lorie

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made AG doll clothes and it takes time making little arm holes. I know it wold depend on thee quality of the finish work but these ladies here would know

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

does she make them for charity?. this could make a difference.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cost might be fairly minimal on doll clothes so I think I would decide what I wanted to be paid per hour
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

No, she sells the dolls after she has refurbished and re-dressed them, maybe added new hair and fixed the body if necessary. The doll would wear the outfit I made, for instance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Look up the cost of new AG doll clothes on-line. If she is refurbishing, then, I would have to assume that keeping the "brand name" so to speak in clothing would be important for the price she is asking. Prices aren't that bad for AG authentic. There are a couple of issues here: would you be supplying a pattern, materials, or only sewing/finishing? At least charge 2xs what a comparable original AG doll outfit would cost.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made these outfits and I would only do them for love...love of grandkids for example. They are time consuming compared to whatever you charge. However, if you enjoy making them, 3x the cost of material or at least what they would go for retail seems fair enough.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop