Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slow Cooker Mac 'n Cheese

My boss made the mac n cheese below for our potluck yesterday, it was very popular and did not curdle! She got the recipe from one of my co-workers. I'm going to cut the recipe in half and take it as a side for Christmas dinner. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
    1 (16oz) box elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
    4 tbsp salted butter, cubed
    1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
    1 ½ cups half and half
    3 cups shredded cheese, divided
    ¾ lb block white deli American chees, cubed
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp pepper

Cook macaroni per instructions on box, but removing a minute or two prior to end of cooking time to ensure “al dente” texture.
    Spray crockpot with non-stick spray or utilize liner for quick clean-up
    Place macaroni in crockpot
    Add cubed butter, half and half, 2 cups of the shredded cheese, all of the white deli American and salt/pepper
    Stir, cover and set the crockpot on low for two hours
    Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top and let melt for additional 30 minutes (crockpot remaining on low)

Optional: Add paprika and/or panko breadcrumbs on top for the last 30 minutes, to give it a little flair.

2. Thanks Star lover, pcbatiks, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slow Cooker Mac 'n Cheese

Julie, thanks for the recipe. I think most people like mac & cheese. This would be good for me to take to the upcoming Christmas lunch but I'm always hesitant making a new recipe before trying it myself. How would you rate it?
    Linda

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I would miss the brown crispy top and edges you get in the oven. To me, that MAKES the flavor.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I would rate it about a 4 or 4.5 out of five. The white American cheese gives it a mild flavor, but it was cheesy and creamy and the perfect comfort food.

6. Thanks LindaKay75, sydneybean thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I always look for mac and cheese recipes that don't contain eggs. I don't like the texture and 'curdled' appearance of those recipes. This sounds like a good one. I'm going to try it. I also like the crusty nature of mac and cheese but can forgo that if I need to take somewhere for a pot luck. Thanks for the recipe

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Julie, this recipe sounds good but I have a question. What cheese are you referring to as block of “White deli American Cheese”? What brand, etc? Our stores have Velveeta cheese in a box in block form but not familiar with White American deli in block form.

Thanks for the recipe and any help on the cheese!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaniceR View Post
    Hi Julie, this recipe sounds good but I have a question. What cheese are you referring to as block of “White deli American Cheese”? What brand, etc? Our stores have Velveeta cheese in a box in block form but not familiar with White American deli in block form.

Thanks for the recipe and any help on the cheese!
    Land O'Lakes makes a white American cheese. I was going to look for it next time I go to the grocery store. I can ask my co-worker about it when I see her tomorrow.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Does it make a difference if I use yellow Land O'Lakes yellow cheese? It's been my fave since childhood. Here it's sold in the deli counter and they would gladly cut off the 3/4 lb in the recipe.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the grocery store this afternoon. The white American cheese needs to be purchased at the Deli, it was not available in the dairy case. I talked to guys who were working; they said the yellow cheese should work fine, it will give the dish a little more flavor. Hope that helps!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JulieC View Post
    I went to the grocery store this afternoon. The white American cheese needs to be purchased at the Deli, it was not available in the dairy case. I talked to guys who were working; they said the yellow cheese should work fine, it will give the dish a little more flavor. Hope that helps!
    Thank you Julie!! I will look for it at the deli counter. I appreciate your response. I am looking forward to trying it.