Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default How does Pantone choose color of the year?

So just how does one company choose a single color over millions of others?

Pantone has crowned a Color of the Year since 2000, and claims that the colors they choose, in essence, choose themselves.

What started off as an “afterthought” that was discussed between a few individuals in the fourth quarter of the year has transformed into a 20-person team – the Pantone Color Institute – that begins global research early in the spring, looking for recurring patterns or colors in daily life situations. The process now takes nearly nine months.

Pantone states that the Color of the Year is actually “…a color snapshot of what we see taking place in our global culture that serves as an expression of a mood and an attitude.”

Pantone notes that this year’s selection symbolizes an “innate need for optimism and joyful pursuits” and “authentic and immersive experiences that enable connection and intimacy” — the latter carrying extra poignancy in a cultural landscape that is increasingly dominated by digital technology and social media.

Well, you asked.....and here she is! Now the question is: do you really care?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How does Pantone choose color of the year?

Um.....not really

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No. lol Things like this, in the end, are just arbitrary. Fun maybe, but of no real use.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

6. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lowes used to make a big deal out of the 'color of the year'... I think they got stuck with a whole lot of that flamingo pink one year, because the next color of the year never showed up and it was well over a year before the display was taken down!

For some I love seeing what they choose, and you'll see it popping up in fashion and lipstick colors for sure this coming year but not on me or my house.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

8. Thanks Star lover, dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting process, but really, I have rarely cared for their colour selection, and definitely did not run out to buy it.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

10. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Its amazing how we have a mass mind and color is one of those things. I remember moving to the country in 1980 and had no tv, radio or magazine subscriptions. The house was in need of carpeting but we were in need of money. Finally 3 yrs later we decided carpet was a necessity so I set to dreaming. I decided on grey or rose but wasn't sure either of those options would be available since earth tones were what I had seen on my last trips to town.
    So I head into town and find a carpet dealer. Low and behold....everything was rose or grey and I stopped at a fast food place and they had done it up in mauve and grey and everywhere I looked. I knew we had a mass mind because nothing had influenced my thoughts from the media.
    Naming babies seems to be the same. I got to the delivery room in 1975 planning to name my son Eric Benjamin. 6 other deliveries were in recovery and they were all naming their baby boys Eric. My DH and I went to the drawing board and three days later we settled on Joshua. Guess how many little Joshuas I saw in the next few years? Mass Mind? Maybe

12. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering who thought it was a good idea for avocado green and harvest gold as kitchen colors.

Lorie

14. Thanks Star lover, Claire Hallman, MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think we loved them. Gold and green carpets and appliances and draperies. quite a contrast from our mothers homes. Maybe that's the key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I'm wondering who thought it was a good idea for avocado green and harvest gold as kitchen colors.

16. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I think we loved them. Gold and green carpets and appliances and draperies. quite a contrast from our mothers homes. Maybe that's the key.
    Exactly! We like "what's new". I have taken note over the years how the pendulum swings back and forth with shades of green (which happens to be my favorite color). The greens of the 30's, 40's and fifties were "blue greens". In the sixties they swung to the yellow greens (avocado)and stayed that way into the 80's. In the 90's teal (blue green) became prevalent. Then, sage became the rage (yellow green). Now, look around and you see the teals making a comeback.

I love color - always have. My Mom used to tell me I insisted on her buying one of each color of soap, toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, etc (I am showing my age to admit I remember paper goods coming in different colors). I think that is what has drawn me to quilting - combining colors!

That being said, the "color of the year" interests me, but does not influence me.
    Donna

18. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

HA! My daughter just gave me my new I-Phone!

BRIGHT CORAL!
    Donna

20. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post