Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Make a "Here Comes the Sun" Dresden Quilt with Jenny Doan of Missouri Star

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Make a "Here Comes the Sun" Dresden Quilt with Jenny Doan of Missouri Star

Love, dresdens. I posted this little trick a while ago and thought it might help someone who might be considering doing a dresden for the first time.
    Doing a lot of dresdens, and eyeballing the point to be centered was just not working.
    Found an easy way for complete accuracy.
    After you sew, but before you create the point, match up the outside edges and finger press along the folded side.
    (figure 1 below)
    Name:  Dresden1.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  6.9 KB
    When you open the dresden to press the point, simply match the sew line to the finger pressed line and press! Perfect sides every time.
    (figure 2 below)
    Name:  Dresden2.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  7.4 KB

Maybe this method is out there on the web, but I've never seen it. Hope it helps someone.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

3. Thanks Claire Hallman, Old Newbie, KPH, Monique, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Make a "Here Comes the Sun" Dresden Quilt with Jenny Doan of Missouri Star

Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    Love, dresdens. I posted this little trick a while ago and thought it might help someone who might be considering doing a dresden for the first time.
    Doing a lot of dresdens, and eyeballing the point to be centered was just not working.
    Found an easy way for complete accuracy.
    After you sew, but before you create the point, match up the outside edges and finger press along the folded side.
    (figure 1 below)
    Name:  Dresden1.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  6.9 KB
    When you open the dresden to press the point, simply match the sew line to the finger pressed line and press! Perfect sides every time.
    (figure 2 below)
    Name:  Dresden2.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  7.4 KB

Maybe this method is out there on the web, but I've never seen it. Hope it helps someone.
    This is a great tip! I have only made one Dresden quilt and that was a long time ago. I plan on making another soon and this tip will come in handy. Thanks!!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I also saw somewhere that the person makes her blades with wrong sides together and then she doesn't have to turn the blades.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sydneybean View Post
    I also saw somewhere that the person makes her blades with wrong sides together and then she doesn't have to turn the blades.
    Interesting. Wonder how she gets nice points?
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I make this pattern I plan to use prints (Tula Pink or KF) and shake it up a little!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

You'll get the same points . You just don't have to turn it right side out. I've done it and it works just fine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone explain this to me in detail. I don't get it....TIA

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sydneybean View Post
    So then your trimming the seams and hiding threads while your ironing then. I think I'd rather turn it. lol

Lorie

11. Thanks MSN thanked for this post