• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbjohnson331
    Shiny Thimble
    • Dec 2018

Machine Question

I have a machine question. My mom has worked as a seamstress doing mainly applique for 40+ years. She is wanting an applique machine (non-computerized) for home and I am not sure what to get her. My dad wants to get it for a surprise for Christmas so I can't just come out and ask what she wants. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • KPH
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2015

Re: Machine Question

Could you take her "window shopping" at some quilt shops to see what features she really likes?

One of the things I wanted was a big harp, so I'd have rooms for quilts. There are plenty of features available on different brands.
    Katrina
    From NC, retired in FL
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• sbjohnson331
      Shiny Thimble
      • Dec 2018

I may have to try to do that. Make her think I am looking for something. She has 4 other machines so it is so hard to know what to get. I just know she doesn't want anything computerized. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• Vonnie
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2013

Maybe a machine that will let you set it to automatically lift the pressure foot when you stop so it is easier to move the fabric. Also have needle down when you stop. And an open toed foot so it's easier to see where the needle is going.

What is your price range?
        Vonnie

Comment

• oldmanquilts
          Designer Diva
          • May 2018

It would be helpful to know what type of applique, and what stitches are required to start. These days it's gonna be nigh impossible to find a sewing machine which doesn't have some computerization, or electronically controlled functions. The needle up/down function alone is an electronic function. Zig zag and other stitch functions are electronic/computer controlled. Speed control is electronic, etc, etc.

Sewing machines are based mostly on personal preference, so I'd think there's no way to surprise her and get her what she wants and needs. How about a card with promise inside? Gift certificate? Store credit to her favorite sewing machine dealer? She really needs to try-before-you-buy.
          You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• grammaterry
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2015

I have been pondering your question and agree with Old Man quilts that pretty much only thing you can get that's not computerized would be a straight stitch machine or perhaps a used machine which would not be my choice if I already had 4 machines. I think a wad of cash and a card for its use would make a lot more sense, plus she would have fun shopping
            success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
            Terry of NC

Comment

• oldmanquilts
              Designer Diva
              • May 2018

There are some "mechanical only" sewing machines that have a few utility stitches other than a straight stitch. But- these are entry level machines with no real control over width and length of stitches other than the "default" mode. Plus, they are somewhat cheesy and won't satisfy a seamstress of 40 yrs.
              You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• cv quilter
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2015

What about the BabyLock Jazz? t is a mechanical machine, not computerized. It has a 12 inch throat space. Has 28 built in stitches and a knee lift for the presser foot which would be great for applique work. It's fairly inexpensive machine.
                Last edited by cv quilter; December 7, 2018, 10:00 AM.
                A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• sbjohnson331
                  Shiny Thimble
                  • Dec 2018

Not sure on the price range, but dad usually does pretty good on getting her stuff so I'm not too worried about that part.

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2018

would this wash away be any use if cannot find the perfect machine?
                    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sulky-36-in...DJGAE0BXFC6N2R.
                    🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

• JulieC
                      Missouri Star
                      • Dec 2016

I have a Jazz, and I don't use it for appliqué. It has two speeds -- stop and very fast. It's great for piecing.

Comment

Working...
                      X